OHM AeroBrakeMFD

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: gp

The MFD calculates the path on the atmosphere.
You can use for precise reentry, aerobrake, aerocapure etc. etc...

The glide path is integrated keeping account of lift and drag.

The new version is for Orbiter 2010 patch 1.
Inside there is also a zip file with old version for Orbiter 2006.

The touchdown point now is much more stable than the previous version.

DOWNLOAD

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Legacy Reviews

Legacy Add-on Reviews from Orbit Hangar Mods

Review by eveningsky339
Pros: Everything
Cons: Nothing
Review:
I can't live without it.

Review by n72.75
Pros: very useful and accurate
Cons: none
Review:
One of the single most useful MFDs in the history of orbiter. This MFD and BTC are nessecery for anyone who ever plans on doung anything more than lunar flight.

Review by dallatorretdu
Pros: Fantastic
Cons: GP [ita]
Review:
is soo good

lowerlowerhk

Reaction score
it cost significant lag in each refresh when working under windows 7. How to fix this problem?

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Have you tried the Font Smoothing module? Works for vista at least. For future reference, it is best not to resurrect old threads like this...

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Have you tried the Font Smoothing module? Works for vista at least. For future reference, it is best not to resurrect old threads like this...

Try VistaBoost as suggested above or manually disable ClearType.
It can not entirely be prevented that graphic intense MFDs slow down orbiter on Vista and above, as they use GDI to render their graphics on screen, which is not natively supported anymore on those Operating Systems.

The Orbithangar forum is exempt from the necroposting rule and it may be posted regardless of the age of the thread.

Happy Orbiting

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hooray! I just learned how to use this yesterday. And now a recompilation :D

I'm not one to say "First!", but... First download of the updated version!

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:hail: :hail: :tiphat: :cheers: Many thanks for the great add-on. Is there any chance of forcing it to use aerodynamic data of another vessel class (e.g., a UCGO container) instead of the focused one?

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
An update? WOW!

I also would like to request the thing Wishbone requested above. For example I have never been able to land CTV or Apollo at a specific target because Aerobrake MFD uses the whole vessel (SM and CM) for it's calculation, and the CM with it's lift and lower mass lands far away from the target. Well, with trial and error I was able to land on target, but that's like cheating for me.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi,GP if it's not too much trouble, can you please put the 2006P1 version back up on the OH dowloads?I think there's still alot of people that would miss out on this awsome MFD,
because they still use Orbiter2006. I know I still use it because alot of addons that I enjoy won't work in orbiter 2010P1 for the time being, but until they do,or don't we all will have this option.Thanks:cheers:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i cant reenter without this, its incredible. i run vista on a crap laptop, and it still manages to run without affecting framerate too much, without vistaboost as well!
the onyl problem is the XR2, which cant hold an AoA constant enough, so i have to constantly adjust the AP AoA to actually hold a steady one, and the AP in this doesnt use RCS, so i found it a little too weak to do it by itself.
i used this for my first ever proper re-entry, and used it to make my own technique, using both a step-profile descent and a more rigid, constant-descent-rate-descent to avoid overheating. this thing is incredibly accurate, even over an entire re-entry.

a must have for anyone who wants to nail re-entries!

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Aerobrake still Crashes-To-Desktop when started on a body without atmosphere ... :(

---

Thanks a lot for correcting the CTD airless bug! :)

Last edited:

gp

Reaction score
:hail: :hail: :tiphat: :cheers: Many thanks for the great add-on. Is there any chance of forcing it to use aerodynamic data of another vessel class (e.g., a UCGO container) instead of the focused one?

It' s quite simple to have what you ask. AerobrakeMFD records Lift and Drag at various angle of attach (AoA) in a file in directory Module/Plugin with extension .ld and name the ship name.
To obtain this file you have to put your ship in the atmosphere and do a loop so the MFD knows Lift and Drag at every AoA, then press the key Shift-S.
To use data from another ship just change the file name.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks, this is a good interim idea, while of course the ability to do that within the MFD would be awesome.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Many thanks for the update! This is a highly useful tool on my list of "DFW" (Don't fly without) addons. :)

A minor niggle: The word is "Hypothetical", rather than "Hypotetic". It's on the button's menu entry and in the description.

Last edited:

gp

Reaction score
Thanks to all!

The bug on planet without atmosphere is now corrected.
Inside zip file there is another zip with old version for Orbiter 2006.
Hypothetic is now Hipothetical!

I have included four .ld files that Ugo Palazzo sended to me, if you have .ld files for other ships please send them to me and I will post on OrbitHangar.

gp

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hypothetic is now Hipothetical!

Thank you for the correction. You missed out a "h" letter but I'm just splitting atoms at this point.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Ciao Gregorio.
Inside your latest zip, there's an extra zipped Aerobrake (version 0.95.2)...mistake?