A Silly but possible idea...

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Building a rocket able to "touch space" would mean having it go beyond 100km altitude. If we're talking unmanned, it's certainly feasible and it has been done before. However, Conestoga clone or sounding rocket, it's still a guided missile and I imagine there's going to be some serious red tape to cut through.

We need guidance, this is certainly easier now than a couple of decades ago because we could use a single computer to run rocket guidance, telemetry, on-board diagnostics, avionics AND an experiment payload should we want to include one (and why not), and it would fit in a tight and light package.

We need propulsion, and here's the catch. Conestoga used surplus Minuteman stages and my local gun store doesn't sell them (I know, I asked). Making up a solid rocket engine from scratch is going to involve a LOT of experimentation which may result in unwanted rapid exothermic reactions (explosions followed by fires). This won't go down well even with the most scientific-minded neighborhood, and you'll get some attention from the authorities pretty fast.

Then, if you've got the thingie assembled, you've got yourself a weapon because that's what a guided missile happens to be at heart. Any projectile capable of exceeding 100km of altitude will require some HEAVY red tape to cut through to store, let alone to use.

It IS possible, but I have half an idea that bureaucracy may prove a more formidable obstacle than physics and chemistry.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I mean like if I called NASA and asked if I can dock to the ISS...

they wouldn't believe me until I was knocking on the ISS window :lol:

SpaceCowboy

Reaction score
If you had the hardware they would.

But I'm talking about getting a launch permit from the FAA.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
who needs a permit just go to Antarctica and launch from there.

SpaceCowboy

Reaction score
True. There are still parts of Antarctica that are unclaimed, right?

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
True. There are still parts of Antarctica that are unclaimed, right?

You seriously think that you could build a rocket in the USA, :hmm: keep in mind a rocket that would threaten US national security. Then try to transport it across the borders, north to Antarctica to try to launch it? Hmm I wonder if the FBI would have anything to say to you ;)

I think the best way to legally build a rocket, is to join an existing rocket organization.

SpaceCowboy

Reaction score
"north to Antarctica"

Antarctica is south of just about everywhere.

SpaceCowboy

Reaction score
I think it's kinda lacking the necessary materials. But you could transport pieces there, and then assemble them.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I do hope you're not being serious.

Launching a moon mission from Antarctica would be pretty much impossible. Two words: plane change.

If you want to get into the space sector, your best bet would be to join an existing company, not start your own. I know that NASA and its subcontractors are always looking for good people.

Not many people who have the skills you need are going to join a company which wants to launch to the moon from Antarctica, because the skills you need will tell them that that's just silly.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Launch to the Moon on SpaceCowboy's rocket; build our rockets there. No laws about building, storing and launching rockets once you're on the Moon, right?

Win win!

Maybe give these guys an e-mail? 2 1/2 years old, RocketLab are already conducting firing and parachute tests. Rockets designed to fly over 150km.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I do hope you're not being serious.

Launching a moon mission from Antarctica would be pretty much impossible. Two words: plane change.

You can launch from anywhere, as off plane intercepts are absolutely possible and easy to perform (even within orbiter).

SpaceCowboy, you have a certain goal you want to reach. Yet, you have not said how you want to do that. Care to share?

SpaceCowboy

Reaction score
Hielor - Enter a polar orbit around earth and then do your TLI burn, and enter a polar orbit around the moon.

pete.dakota - Really. That would be kinda nice. Just take off when you want.

TSPenguin - Sure. If you are up to listening to my plan some time.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I am always ready to listen to your plan. I am just waiting for you to post it.

Deke

The Original AstroNut!
Reaction score
He won't post it. It's a "secret."

Because no one's ever considered ad-space on rockets.

And SpaceCowboy, my idea IS a lot more feasible. I'm not looking to go to the Moon like you want in such a short time that is in 4 years. I'm just looking to get something to touch space. Sub-orbital. Doesn't have to be manned. Given everyone here has an expertise in nearly every aspect of rocketry, I figured this would be something everyone here could appreciate, and while most do, they are atleast honest with me about how it may not happen, which I can agree with. Where ass pretty much everyone is laughing at you because you want to launch from Antartica and go to the Moon. How do you plan to get there? DA? LOR? EOR?

Also, you were told to let this whole thing go. So you then first send me a message about some BS, and then attack me in my thread.. that's not letting it go really...

SpaceCowboy

Reaction score
Deke, you blew your cover way too soon. If you'd kept quiet you would have found out so much more. Yes, I was serious about selling ad space on rockets. And I still am. But I have the guts to get out there and try my plans out.

My time frame for getting to the moon isn't as much about meeting that goal, as it is just trying to get moving. See, if I set my goal at 2020, then yeah, very little doubt, I'd make it on time. However, 2012 presents some challenges, and even if I miss that goal, and land on the moon in 2014, I'm still 6 years ahead of where I'd be if I'd set a realistic goal.

I wouldn't say that I was planning on launching from Antarctica. Someone else brought it up on this thread, so I was just giving my input. It is an interesting possibility.

you were also told to let this whole thing go, and you started a thread that begins with "After today's events". That's bringing it up.

Now, let's move on. My understanding of why the thread was blocked was because some people were getting all upset. It was not blocked because we were giving friendly input on each others ideas. So I think what Tex meant was as long as we do it nicely, we can talk about space flight plans.

So, I'm willing to make amends. I understand if you don't think I'll never make it to the moon. And hopefully you understand that I can state my plans, and see if anyone has any helpful insights or interest.

That's no reason for us to sling mud at each other.