A low cost, all European, manned launcher.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
???

Because the Dragon can carry 6 tons of payload does not mean it has to carry 6 tons of payload. If it can carry 6 tons of payload and the Falcon 9 can carry 10 tons, that implies the craft that actually flew has a mass without payload of 4 tons. Elon has said a person in the Dragon capsules that actually flew to space would have had a comfortable ride.

No, you should again read my statement: The complete hard limit when launched on a Falcon 9 with 13 tons mass to LEO capability, is 6 tons of cargo. That means the remaining 7 tons of the payload mass of the launcher are Dragon spacecraft and not negotiable.

You can add some extra-performance since it launches without fairing. This is also fitting to the 4 tons mass of the boilerplate, which would be Dragon without trunk and solar arrays.

For a manned Dragon, you can please include in the "comfortable ride" statement, that you have to bring your own suit, seat and life support system for the ride, because the Dragon does not have it (see NASA report, they investigated the air circulation in the Dragon capsule before docking to the ISS)

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
Firstly, could you provide a source for that statement?
Secondly, how do you expect your development, with structural redesigns (accomodation for an extra engine, support of the LOX tank), pad alterations, etc, to be cheaper than a mere human-rating effort? If most of the cost of the human-rating certification is tied up in some sort of bureaucratic process, keep in mind that to get a human-rating certification, your vehicle will be required to go through that process as well.
Thirdly, do you realise the physical problems with your concept? Urwumpe described them quite well, and I will repost his statement here for reference;
Without arguing over the mass of Dragon- or including Dragon in the launch stack at all, we see that this launcher has terribly poor performance. Regardless of whether Dragon masses 13 tons, or 9 tons, or 6 tons, it is unlikely to make orbit.
Also, the safety issues of solid motors are exaggerated (they actually have several reliability advantages). The main criticisms of Ares I came from it being meant for a task already performed by existing launchers, and the Griffin administration sticking with it even as its issues became increasingly clear and it put further restrictions on the Orion capsule.

Here's a report from 2010 on man-rating the Ariane 5:

French govt study backs Orion Ariane 5 launch.
By Rob Coppinger on January 8, 2010 4:45 PM
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/hyperbola/2010/01/french.html

Man-rating a 3-stage vehicle with two large solid rocket boosters attached is a much more complicated process than man-rating a single stage liquid fueled vehicle. As a point of comparison the Atlas V base version without solid side boosters is planned to be used to launch the Boeing CST-100 and DreamChaser. Lockheed has said man-rating it is essentially complete at very little additional cost, even though it wasn't designed for manned launch.
The Japanese space agency JAXA showed with the development of the H-IIB launcher from the H-IIA, that adding a second cryogenic engine can cost only in the range of $200 million.
About the thrust-weight ratio of the Ariane 5 core with a second Vulcain, I discussed before the plan was to use the lighter Ariane 5 "G" version. With two Vulcain engines, this will have a T/W of about 1.1, within the range common for liquid fueled rockets.

Bob Clark

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

No, you should again read my statement: The complete hard limit when launched on a Falcon 9 with 13 tons mass to LEO capability, is 6 tons of cargo. That means the remaining 7 tons of the payload mass of the launcher are Dragon spacecraft and not negotiable.
You can add some extra-performance since it launches without fairing. This is also fitting to the 4 tons mass of the boilerplate, which would be Dragon without trunk and solar arrays.
For a manned Dragon, you can please include in the "comfortable ride" statement, that you have to bring your own suit, seat and life support system for the ride, because the Dragon does not have it (see NASA report, they investigated the air circulation in the Dragon capsule before docking to the ISS)

The new version of the Falcon 9, version 1.1, which has not been fielded yet, is expected by SpaceX to have a 13 ton capacity. The version of the Falcon 9 that has flown has a 10 ton capacity. The 6 ton capability of the Dragon was based on the 10 ton capability of the original Falcon 9.

Bob Clark

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The new version of the Falcon 9, version 1.1, which has not been fielded yet, is expected by SpaceX to have a 13 ton capacity. The version of the Falcon 9 that has flown has a 10 ton capacity. The 6 ton capability of the Dragon was based on the 10 ton capability of the original Falcon 9.

The performance estimate of the Dragon is based on the Falcon9 1.1 - See DragonLab PDF.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
I don't usually do this but...
Mr. Clark,
Even if we were to accept your wildly optimistic mass values and over simplified formulae your proposal would still be unworkable.
You see, two molecules cannot cohabitate the same volume.
The single Vulcain engine and it's associated overhead (pumps, gimbal actuators, etc...) occupy the entirety of the ariane core's current thrust structure.
Even if it didn't it's engineering stand off radius is over two meters.
In other words you can not add a second engine withough first widening the stage by approximately .2 meters.
You use all the math in the world to prove that nolting a SSME to the back of my pickup truck would make it a SSTO but the real world doesn't work like that.

I don't know what you mean by "standoff". I presume you meant diameter instead of radius though. But the diameter of the Vulcain 2 is given as 2.10 m:

Vulcain 2.
http://www.astronautix.com/engines/vulcain2.htm

while the Ariane 5 core stage diameter is given as 5.46 m:

Ariane 5 EPC.
http://www.astronautix.com/stages/arie5epc.htm

Also, even for cases where the engines extend slightly beyond the diameter of the stage, commonly engine fairings are used in that case, such as for the Saturn V first stage, and the Falcon 9 first stage.

Bob Clark

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Standoff is more than that, it is also space for moving the rocket engine + separation for thermal constraints. And no, such fairings are no simple solution. alone adding a single engine is a full rocket stage redesign, and such fairings are not easily included, they mean heavier thrust structures for example because of the loads.

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by "standoff". I presume you meant diameter instead of radius though. But the diameter of the Vulcain 2 is given as 2.10 m:

Vulcain 2.
http://www.astronautix.com/engines/vulcain2.htm

while the Ariane 5 core stage diameter is given as 5.46 m:

Ariane 5 EPC.
http://www.astronautix.com/stages/arie5epc.htm

Also, even for cases where the engines extend slightly beyond the diameter of the stage, commonly engine fairings are used in that case, such as for the Saturn V first stage, and the Falcon 9 first stage.

Bob Clark

No, I meant radius..

As Urwumpe already stated stand-off is the amount of space you need to leave empty AROUND the engine to allow heat to disapate, and allow for engine gimbaling.

Likewise the thrust-structure of the Ariane is a simple cone approx 2/3rds the diameter of the stage with an engine on the pointy end

Unless you intend redesign the thrust structure, making it cylinderical rather than conical (signifiganly larger/heavier in the process) there is nowhere to mount your second engine.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
No, I meant radius..
As Urwumpe already stated stand-off is the amount of space you need to leave empty AROUND the engine to allow heat to disapate, and allow for engine gimbaling.
Likewise the thrust-structure of the Ariane is a simple cone approx 2/3rds the diameter of the stage with an engine on the pointy end
Unless you intend redesign the thrust structure, making it cylinderical rather than conical (signifiganly larger/heavier in the process) there is nowhere to mount your second engine.

Yes, the thrust structure will need to be redesigned. Nevertheless, JAXA was able to do that in upgrading the single engine H-IIA to the dual engine H-IIB for only $200 million for the new rocket at the same diameter as the Ariane 5 core.

Bob Clark

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, the thrust structure will need to be redesigned. Nevertheless, JAXA was able to do that in upgrading the single engine H-IIA to the dual engine H-IIB for only $200 million for the new rocket at the same diameter as the Ariane 5 core.

Bob Clark

27 billion Yen are currently 350 million USD. The Ariane 5 did cost already 8 billion USD in its initial development.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Doesn't the cone-shaped aft end also affect aerodynamics?

Here's a report from 2010 on man-rating the Ariane 5:

French govt study backs Orion Ariane 5 launch.
By Rob Coppinger on January 8, 2010 4:45 PM
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/hy...01/french.html

Gives 5 billion Euro as an upper bound only (and also some confusion; is it millions of dollars, or billions, for the lower figure? Did the dollar/Euro exchange rate just go wild for a bit there?).

Furthermore, it does not name a source beyond that 'in the blogosphere and print media'. It would be useful to note where this was said in the blogosphere, or by whom...

Man-rating a 3-stage vehicle with two large solid rocket boosters attached is a much more complicated process than man-rating a single stage liquid fueled vehicle. As a point of comparison the Atlas V base version without solid side boosters is planned to be used to launch the Boeing CST-100 and DreamChaser. Lockheed has said man-rating it is essentially complete at very little additional cost, even though it wasn't designed for manned launch.

Usually building a new vehicle is more expensive than simply human-rating an existing one. Unless I'm mistaken, the Ariane 5 is a two-stager with boosters (though it depends on the definition of stage- the boosters could be considered an effective first stage). Also, unless something has changed in the interim, the CST-100 is actually meant to be launched by the Atlas 412- which has a single small strapon SRM.

Furthermore, one would also imagine that a vehicle originally designed for human-rating (Ariane) would be cheaper than one not originally designed for human-rating (Atlas). If the human-rating of Atlas V is going along as smoothly as one might expect, than one would imagine that the human-rating of Ariane would be similarly easy, if not more so, and similarly inexpensive.

It should be pointed out that a good deal of the cost lumped together with human-rating may not involve the actual engineering or certification aspect, but instead be related to infrastructure alterations- to allow for crew access arms, etc.

It should be pointed out that your vehicle will require considerable infrastructure alterations from the Ariane 5- not only will it need to be supported differently on the pad, it will likely need alterations to the flame trench and/or ground starting equipment, as well as the vehicle integration equipment.

The Japanese space agency JAXA showed with the development of the H-IIB launcher from the H-IIA, that adding a second cryogenic engine can cost only in the range of $200 million.

Source please.

About the thrust-weight ratio of the Ariane 5 core with a second Vulcain, I discussed before the plan was to use the lighter Ariane 5 "G" version. With two Vulcain engines, this will have a T/W of about 1.1, within the range common for liquid fueled rockets.

That's odd. Using figures for Ariane 5 here and figures for Vulcain [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcain"]here[/ame], giving a total mass of 170 tons, plus 1.3 tons for the extra engine, and 7 tons for the Dragon spacecraft (here, extra thrust structure mass, as well as other vehicle structure mass, any fairings or connection rings, and propellant and provisions necessary for the Dragon spacecraft, are neglected), and a total sea level thrust of 1800 kN, I get a TW of barely 1.03.

Only if the figures are assumed to be in short tons, do things translate to a TW of 1.1 (over 1.1, actually- it's more like 1.13). This page gives mass in metric units, and lists the total mass of the Ariane 5G core as 170.8 tons- indicating that the TW of 1.03 is appropriate.

Add extra mass as is required, and the TW will drop even further.

Another problem is an excess of thrust later in the flight- this problem affects all SSTOs without deep throttling or sequential engine shutdowns. To my knowledge, the Vulcain has no throttle capability. Taking the dry mass from the above calculation and doubling it for good measure, we have a terminal acceleration of 6.5G. Lower masses endure even higher G forces- something like 13G acceleration near engine shutdown, for a 21 ton dry mass. To put this in perspective, acceleration limitations for human-rated vehicles are usually put at around 4G.

27 billion Yen are currently 350 million USD. The Ariane 5 did cost already 8 billion USD in its initial development.

Would be interesting to compare the Ariane 5 development cost with the original development cost of the H-II/H-IIA.

Last edited:

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
That's odd. Using figures for Ariane 5 here and figures for Vulcain here, giving a total mass of 170 tons, plus 1.3 tons for the extra engine, and 7 tons for the Dragon spacecraft (here, extra thrust structure mass, as well as other vehicle structure mass, any fairings or connection rings, and propellant and provisions necessary for the Dragon spacecraft, are neglected), and a total sea level thrust of 1800 kN, I get a TW of barely 1.03.
Only if the figures are assumed to be in short tons, do things translate to a TW of 1.1 (over 1.1, actually- it's more like 1.13). This page gives mass in metric units, and lists the total mass of the Ariane 5G core as 170.8 tons- indicating that the TW of 1.03 is appropriate...

I've seen various numbers given for the thrust of the Vulcain 2 perhaps because of small modifications to the engine. But the Ariane 5 user's guide gives the sea level thrust as 960 kN on page 22:

Ariane 5 User's Manual Issue 5 Revision 1 - Arianespace.
http://www.arianespace.com/launch-services-ariane5/Ariane5_users_manual_Issue5_July2011.pdf

Bob Clark

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I've seen various numbers given for the thrust of the Vulcain 2 perhaps because of small modifications to the engine. But the Ariane 5 user's guide gives the sea level thrust as 960 kN on page 22:

That is also the value that I used for calculating how much acceleration the rocket will have left. And 1300 kg mass for the dry engine.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The proposal is also to use the smaller size "G" version of the Ariane 5 core stage at a 170 mT gross mass.

Already done in the first calculations. As said there, I selected the numbers intentionally in your favor, so you can't blame me for being unfair. Would I have used the current or the evolution data, things would have become way more unrealistic with just two engines.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
Already done in the first calculations. As said there, I selected the numbers intentionally in your favor, so you can't blame me for being unfair. Would I have used the current or the evolution data, things would have become way more unrealistic with just two engines.

If you could show that calculation. I get in the range of 1.1 for the T/W, plus or minus, depending on how large you make the payload.

Bob Clark

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If you could show that calculation. I get in the range of 1.1 for the T/W, plus or minus, depending on how large you make the payload.

Bob Clark

[math]a = \frac{n F_{sl}}{m_0 + n m_e + m_p} - 9.81[/math]
Should be simple enough.

Definitions for a Vulcain II, including correction that the 5G stage was powered by a Vulcain with much lower sea level thrust:

[math]m_0 = 170800 {kg}- 1300 {kg} = 169500 {kg}[/math] (Source) (Source)
[math]m_e = 1800 {kg}[/math] (Source)
[math]F_{sl} = 939.5 {kN} [/math] (Source)

Makes for the naked stage: 1.044 m/s²
With 4 tons of payload: 0.799 m/s²
with 10 tons of payload: 0.452 m/s²
with 13 tons of payload: 0.286 m/s²

While all numbers are positive, all are far too low for a successful launch. A tiny bit of engine gimballing during lift-off and the acceleration would already be negative.

(Had used the ECA number instead of the 5G number in the first calculation, instead of using the 5G number instead of the ECB number)

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
[math]a = \frac{n F_{sl}}{m_0 + n m_e + m_p} - 9.81[/math]
Should be simple enough.

Definitions for a Vulcain II, including correction that the 5G stage was powered by a Vulcain with much lower sea level thrust:

[math]m_0 = 170800 {kg}- 1300 {kg} = 169500 {kg}[/math] (Source) (Source)
[math]m_e = 1800 {kg}[/math] (Source)
[math]F_{sl} = 939.5 {kN} [/math] (Source)

Makes for the naked stage: 1.044 m/s²
With 4 tons of payload: 0.799 m/s²
with 10 tons of payload: 0.452 m/s²
with 13 tons of payload: 0.286 m/s²

While all numbers are positive, all are far too low for a successful launch. A tiny bit of engine gimballing during lift-off and the acceleration would already be negative.

(Had used the ECA number instead of the 5G number in the first calculation, instead of using the 5G number instead of the ECB number)

Have you accounted for the modifications to the thrust-structure, and added power requirements?

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
I was calculating just the thrust/weight ratio using the sea level thrust value given in the Ariane 5 user's guide on page 22, 960 kN. Two Vulcain 2's would give 1,920,000 N. The gross mass of the Ariane 5 G core stage is 170,000 kg plus another Vulcain 2 is 171,800 kg. Add on, say, 5,000 kg of payload this is 176,800 kg. This is 176,800*9.81 = 1,734,000 N in weight. Then the thrust/weight ratio is 1.11. If you make the payload 7,000 kg, then the T/W ratio is 1.09.
A T/W of 1.1 is in the range common for liquid fueled rockets.

Bob Clark

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I'll take that as a no.

Your a T/W is of 1.1 BEFORE you start adding things like the heavier thrust structure (to accomodate the second engine) and the aditional pumps/generators/gimbal actuators etc you'll neet to make it run.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I was calculating just the thrust/weight ratio using the sea level thrust value given in the Ariane 5 user's guide on page 22, 960 kN. Two Vulcain 2's would give 1,920,000 N.

Using those numbers, you would end up with an acceleration of 13,5 G just prior to MECO.

The Ariane 5 is supported on the ground by the SRBs, so you will have to add something that the stack can stand on.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Using those numbers, you would end up with an acceleration of 13,5 G just prior to MECO.

The Ariane 5 is supported on the ground by the SRBs, so you will have to add something that the stack can stand on.

So basically we've got a rocket that can't carry living cargo and may or may not be able to even get off the ground.

Basically what I've been saing all along.

If you want a "low cost, all European, manned launcher" take an un-modified Ariane and put your capsule of choice on top of it.