A Generic Addon License

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I tossed this out a few months ago on the "Is it legal?" topic and thought about creating a topic for it. Would it be a good idea for the developer community to come up with a generic addon license that any Orbiter addon developer would be free to use so each addon developer doesn't have to write an individual license and potentially miss something, or accidentally write something they didn't intend to be understood that way.
This would be by no means a requirement to develop for Orbiter because some developers would want their own license to be able to have complete control and such over their works which is fair.
Pros:
Developers can swap "the developer" with their name in the license, drop it in their addon without having to custom write it saving time.
It sets a standard for the developers should they choose to follow it.

Cons:
Users would become complacent in many addons having the same terms, then run across one that is different and not checking and getting into trouble.
Potentially less control for developers though they could write their own should they choose.

I thought I'd just toss this out here and see what everyone thought.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Last edited:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
1) Unless we have a lawyer who is used to drawing up such documents do this (or at least help out), it's likely to have loopholes and miss important things.

2) What's wrong with the plethora of licences out there (MIT, GPL v2,3, LGPL etc)?