News 8.8 earthquake in Chile

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Woah. Mother Nature sure seems to be very angry recently. Especially considering that storm Thursday night.

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
2012 IS APPROACHING! THESE ARE ALL SIGNS!!! I TOLD YOU WE WOULD ALL DIE!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES, FEAR THE DATE!!! HOP ONTO YOUR DELTA GLIDERS AND ESCAPE 2012!!!1111ONEONEONEONE

... all these earthquakes in South America do point to something going on geologically with the South American plates... probably just growing pains.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Only 8.8... you make it sound like it was a major Earthquake...

and all these Earthquakes in South America? We just have a typical Earthquake progression:

North American Plate: California, December 2009
Caribbean Plate: Haiti, January 2010.
South American Plate: Chile, February 2010

If I can read the arrows on the tectonic map correctly at this time and if the hypothesis of earthquake progression is correct, the next one will be southern pacific region, after a minor series in the Nazca plate. I am no expert there, but at least I got the continents right this year...

Last edited:

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Is this offensive? I made it.

[Mod Note: If you have to ask, it is. When in doubt, don't post!]
Well I thought it was funny.

Last edited:

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
The (original) Richter scale is a very bad one and only used to communicate to the public these days.
It is roughly logarithmic and originally ended at 10.

You can read more on Wikipedia.

obiwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.comparini.cl
Mmmhh, I don't know you, but I feel it major. Of course, is not the same if it's under your feet.... And I still recall the one on 1985 here....

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There are only 10 kinds of people. Those who can handle irony and those who can't.

I thought the 8.8 alone is hint enough...

KKinsane

CAPTAIN PLANET!!
Reaction score
I heard they took it down a notch, ergo this quake would be 9.8...

either way, it was haarp. 3 days after a tsunami hits, THREE DAYS, and yet with the entire pacific ocean on alert for the first day nowhere else gets hit too bad.

also i've seen haarp's activity data for the first day so i'm not just spouting tin foil hat wearing propaganda here I research things before I come to a conclusion. everyone here is used to azimuth's right, what is 220(degrees) relative to alaska? (ie SSE)

Last edited by a moderator:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are only 10 kinds of people. Those who can handle irony and those who can't.

ah... I usually have no problems Identifying it, but in this case it was indeed completely lost on me. My fault I guess.

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
Various news sources are reporting that the earthqake has shifted the earth axis by a few centimetres. This shortens the day a by a few microseconds

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I thought I'd slept later today.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I heard they took it down a notch, ergo this quake would be 9.8...

either way, it was haarp. 3 days after a tsunami hits, THREE DAYS, and yet with the entire pacific ocean on alert for the first day nowhere else gets hit too bad.

also i've seen haarp's activity data for the first day so i'm not just spouting tin foil hat wearing propaganda here I research things before I come to a conclusion. everyone here is used to azimuth's right, what is 220(degrees) relative to alaska? (ie SSE)

:rofl:

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
What happened to the other earthquake related posts of today? I could have sworn that there were some more posts regarding the earth axis tilt? Maybe a glitch in the Matrix...

@topic Even if the day/year is shortened by a few milli- or microseconds, it could have a major impact. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some atomic clocks probably need to be readjusted.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
@topic Even if the day/year is shortened by a few milli- or microseconds, it could have a major impact. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some atomic clocks probably need to be readjusted.
No atomic clocks need to be adjusted since they are atomic, ie, their operation is independent of the rotation of the earth. If anything needed adjusting, it would be the relationship between our time scale of convenience (UTC) that approximates solar time and the the atomic clock time scale (TAI). EDIT: The difference between the two is formally known as leap seconds.

Anyway, day length varies significantly over time on the order of milliseconds:
FinalsDataIAU2000A-LOD-BULA.png

And I see no sudden changes here:
FinalsDailyIAU2000A-LOD-BULA.png

Note: the last data point there is from 2010-03-01
Source: International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service.

Last edited: