there will be our footsteps.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
My congratulations to all on this remarkable anniversary. I have found this collection of pictures of Yuri Gagarin which may give a fresh impression of him as a man who lived his unique life.

TASS_1418056.jpg

Yuri together with his wife and infant daughter in Orenburg, summer 1959. Few months later, he applied as a candidate for the 1st Cosmonaut Team selection.

TASS_1465281.jpg

Resting after the space flight in Star City, summer 1961.

RIA-015374-Original.jpg

RIA-014630-Original.jpg

Two above: Gagarin during his restoration time in Crimea, summer 1961.

TASS_871127.jpg

Yuri during one of the many parties worldwide held in his honour (Helsinki, summer 1961).

RIA-015281-Original.jpg

Gagarin is in excellent shape two years after his mission, summer 1963.

TASS_311336.jpg

Yuri Gagarin (left) and Alexey Leonov (right) during welcoming ceremony for newly accepted Cosmonauts in the Star City (spring 1965). A month before, Leonov performed the first spacewalk in history.

TASS_1421246.jpg

Gagarin and his Matra Djet car gifted him by French Matra company near the monument to conquerers of space in Moscow, summer 1965.

TASS_1453826.jpg

Yuri with his amateur photo camera, autumn 1965.

RIA-015389-Original.jpg

During a hunting together with Vladimir Komarov half a year before his tragic death during Soyuz 1 mission. Autumn 1966.

RIA-015995-Original.jpg

After a duck hunting, autumn 1966.

RIA-610942-Original.jpg

Gagarin and his daughters Galya and Lena in autumn of 1966. Since 2001 Yelena Gagarina supervises Moscow Kremlin historical museum.

My thoughts regarding the anniversary are mixed. I am happy that Gagarin's name is etched in history records for the eternity, and I am deeply thankful for him and every contributors of that victory, for his opening of a door in the sky for the entire world. Your flight marked the dawn of the new era for Humankind, and will never be forgotten.

However, it feels like the dawn takes too long to happen, and it's a great shame that we still cannot raise a flag in your honour on our Martian base this day, and no gorgeous interplanetary cruisers would fly over the world in formation to make us feel that no chanced we had along the way, was missed. Please, Yuri Alexeyevich, give us another 50 years to fix our failures. That is what I want my would-be grandsons to achieve. Let's get down to work now. I believe that we have no other way to follow than yours.

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Medvedev apprently agrees with you according to the RT interview, quoting him from Chinese TV:

http://rt.com/news/medvedev-gagarin-interview-space/

Sometime we will be able to conquer other planets, other stellar systems. I don’t know how soon will we be able to achieve that, but I think that mankind will always try to follow these two approaches simultaneously – on the one hand, the dream of exploring outer space, and, on the other hand, a truly pragmatic approach to outer space, which may bring both scientific and practical benefits

Is he serious? I'd like to believe he is - if he announces an ambitious project with China that would be a great step (since both the USA and EU have apparently given up). .

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

I've assembled a comic book of the event. You can download it for free here: goo.gl/ZsPFe (CBZ) or here: goo.gl/3FKTW (PDF).

That is just fantastic work! I'm printing it to show my son and my young students.

Three small spelling corrections:
p1 hurtle (not hurdle)
p4 unlock
p9 through the window

Great comic Wally - You should be proud!:tiphat:

Last edited:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Where's China in all that other than being the interviewer? I am afraid Medvedev knows next to nothing about Russia's exploration plans (does he know who heads the IKI RAN? -it is Academician Lev Zelenyi, see his interview at Roskosmos web site); usually it is possible to see through the blubbery if a politician is being competently consulted. Not so in this case...

Belisarius

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I said I would like to believe, not believed.

This is called hoping against hope.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1rmucs-5xg&feature=feedu"]YouTube - Mars500 salutes Yuri Gagarin[/ame]

diogom

Reaction score
[Irony] :woohoo: The 50th anniversary of the flight that changed the world got 30 seconds in our national news channel, 15 of wich talked of his death [/Irony]

Really, 30 seconds, that's it? And an hour of FMI, Socrates, and crisis? I'm not asking for half an hour, but...
Anyway, even if 2/3rds of the population wouldn't know who Gagarin was if it wasn't for these 30s, we know, and, I hope so, I'll be here for the 100th, at 64 years old. :lol:

diogom

Reaction score
http://www.energia.ru/en/news/news-2011/photo_04-11.html

A grand meeting of the Corporation's Scientific and Technical Council was held at S.P. Korolev Rocket and Space Corporation Energia to mark the 50th anniversary of the first manned flight into space carried out by our compatriot Yuri Gagarin.

http://www.energia.ru/en/news/news-2011/news_04-11.html

Dear veterans, enterprise employees, colleagues and partners!
We are pleased to congratulate You on the significant anniversary in the Earth's civilization history, the 50th anniversary of the pioneer human space flight.

Kalman

Reaction score
Cheers (with beer) to Gagarin to his flight and to his input to space race! You will be never forget, Yuri! I just read that you were only 1 meter 57 cm height, but for me you are one of the greatest people in our world's history! Payehali!!! :cheers::thumbup::salute:

Belisarius

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll be having a shot or two of vodka to celebrate - any smileys for that?

Belisarius

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here's a cool one "Mannekin Pis in Brussels pays tribute to Gagarin"

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/mediatheek_en/1.1002149

Let's not forget that Yuri famously took a leak on the bus ride out to the platform, stopping the bus to get out and wet the wheel, a tradition observed in Baikonur to this day.

I'm sure there are no smileys for that one.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I just read that you were only 1 meter 57 cm height, but for me you are one of the greatest people in our world's history!

A small size was a criteria for the first cosmonauts recruits. There was very little room inside the Vostok ! ;)

Even today, there is a quite strict size limitation to fly aboard the Soyuz (with 3 people onbard and cargo taped everywhere, each centimeter counts !). :p

Today I was teaching 9-years old childrens. I made them a lesson about Gagarin's flight, with a picture of him and the Vostok. I also reproduced the famous experiment of "the hammer and the plume" to demonstrate gravity, and we also demonstrated than velocity, if high enough, can overcome gravitation (a simple sling gives an idea of that). At the end, I concluded than when an object velocity force overcomes the gravitation forces (like it is the case with the Moon, satellites or spaceships), they never fall back and are said "orbiting" Earth.

Martins will probably raise an eyebrow at so much simplification, but their knowledge at astronomy or physics was close to zero. At least, they'll remember the name of Gagarin (1 had already heard of him, he said "oh yes, this guy went on the Moon, no ?"). :lol:

Going on the Moon was probably ultimate Gagarin's dream. :hailprobe:

Last edited: