4th Global Trajectory Optimisation Competition

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Article at: http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMI5HWPXPF_index_0.html
Global Trajectory Optimisation Competition. The competition seeks to find the best solution to an interplanetary trajectory problem. It has proved a unique playground for researchers to test new ideas and to compare methods.
[...]
“The competition is like The America's Cup, with the winners organising the next round,” says Dario Izzo of ESA’s Advanced Concepts Team.

CNES won the last competition with a solution to the way a single spacecraft could launch from Earth, rendezvous with three asteroids from a specified group of targets, and then return to Earth within ten years of departure. They are currently preparing this year’s challenge.

I thought this might be interesting, as there are some people here that appear to have quite serious skills with planning trajectories. Even if it's just for the fun (strong opponent teams).
If an interested team would be formed, it should register before February 27.
Problem will be released March 2.

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Oooooh. :speakcool:

I know I'd love to work on something like this, at the very least doing them just for fun. I have to say I like their first challenge of going to 2001 TW229 (a retrograde asteroid). I think I'm going to try and find a good solution for that one, maybe even find something that would get me into orbit around it.