2014 Jan: simcosmos status (+ notes about the future)

simcosmos

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
simcosmos.planetaclix.pt

-------------------------------------------------
simcosmos going offline (+future)

Fellow orbinauts,

Some of you may have noticed (or maybe not) that my site's contents - http://simcosmos.planetaclix.pt – are offline (since 9 jan 2014) except for a simple front page.

After almost 10 years of being up and more than 54000 visits, it's time to rethink the site and related projects. Contents have been removed (my apologies for any 404 that results from links to those pages) and what is currently available may also go offline.

In what concerns Orbiter Community (beyond the pages about my outdated projects): the above means that the Community Links & Addon Development Tools, etc pages also went offline. I might rethink such sections and aim instead for 'favorites' or selected tutorial formats vs trying to keep a full list of sites & tools (or instead of trying to keep an historical list of community sites references, where some new entries were waiting to be inserted, my fault). At a later phase I may perhaps provide an 'heritage' version of some of those older pages and/or files.

Note: If you are an 'old-timer' and remember some development tool or interesting topic reference which you can no longer find, feel free to PM (I may have in the archives). As a side note I also keep historical saves from the older m6 'blue' forums, etc. The time passes so fast! (if you are reading this and do not have a clue of what I'm talking about, nevermind :) )

Back to the future: when / if I eventually manage to return from 'deep space', I would hope to include a smoother HTML code implementation (and easier generation for selected pages), new css tricks and to follow a number of fluid / responsive website design principles that I have meanwhile learned and played with on other projects (the simcosmos 'v1' site still used frames, outdated html specs and the code was a bit cluttered).

Final Comments

Meanwhile, I'm leaving this notice here, just to let possible interested people know that I'm still 'around' although, as it's kind of traditional of me, most of the time in 'lurker mode'... Sometimes, I may write a little in this forum or at dansteph's nice forum or may continue to write some launch vehicle / spacecraft / mission brainstorms texts at nasaspaceflight.com forums, etc.

To conclude, I would like to say a big thank you to every visitor and fellow orbinaut with whom I have interacted regarding simcosmos site topics or addons development and of course – never tired of doing it - a special thanks to Martin (and all developers) for this fantastic simulator that I have been enjoying since the first versions! Long time as passed, indeed!

All the best,
Thanks,
António Maia

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Your site had a wealth of knowledge on it, some very nice reference pictures of Orion/Constellation (in several of it's design iterations). Plus some pretty hard to find pictures of the short lived Orion Lite.

I also remember you helping us out when Columbia was working on [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4584"]Ares V v1.5[/ame]

Whenever you come back in from "deep space" there'll be a port open for you. Until then, happy trails.