Internet 1983 the brink of apocalypse

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Wow... most of the train derailings on this thread make sense, but this one has gone from Russia and the US nearly nuking each other in the 80's to everyone acting racistly British.

Anyway, continue chaps. P_'

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe, but you won't be if you get your hands on the nuclear..er hand-grenades.

N.

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
I made a video presentation about this for a school project... regrettably the file no longer exists but it described the political situation at the time and the false alarm that went off in Colonel Petrov's headquarters.

I followed that up with a "Here's what would have happened if Petrov reported the alarms to the defense ministry" and showed (declassified) footage of various Russian and American ICBMs being launched.

Basically on September 26th, 1983 Petrov was on duty at a headquarters of the Soviet air defense forces (similar to NORAD) and was the ranking officer. Around 1 AM local time, he got a warning from the satellite-based launch detection system that a ballistic missile has been launched from the US on a trajectory towards the Soviet Union. He immediately dismissed the alarm as false, because a first-strike by the US was expected to have involved hundreds of missiles, not just one. However, a few minutes later, he received another warning and then another and several more after that, indicating a total of five missile launches. The computer display was flashing the words "START" indicating that the Strategic Rocket Forces were to launch a full retaliatory strike.

Petrov did not contact his superiors and held off, waiting until the missiles were detected on ground radar. When none appeared, he informed his superiors of a computer glitch and false alarm.

Considering the fact that Soviet policy at the time was "launch on warning" (without waiting for radar detection), it is very likely that he averted nuclear war.

Especially since 1983 was an extremely dangerous time and NATO was already running Able Archer '83 which KGB suspected to have been a cover for a surprise nuclear strike.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Five, is right out!

I've got to say that I've been able to talk to some Russian and former eastern-bloc sailors during a few joint exercises (actually over some alcoholic beverages), that for the most part we all understood that the threat of a mass nuclear exchange was pretty unlikely.
I suppose that the advantage of a mutually assured destruction policy. It seems we were all more concerned with nut-cases out on the fringes.

All of the sailors I've talked with, of various nationalities have (pretty much) come to a similar understanding.
1) Being at sea sucks.
2) Missing wife/kids/loved ones, sucks.
3) Doing some idiotic things for the sake of "tradition", sucks.
4) Doing something because the guy one rank above you said to do it, sucks.

It was pretty strange (albeit very enlightening) to be pier-side alongside a former Soviet cruiser and hanging out on the flight deck on the rail, speaking broken Spanish with a Russian sailor who had the same job that I did. Only I thought his helicopter (Helix) was cooler than mine (SH-60F) due to the counter-rotating blades.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Only an anti-wabbit weapon surely?

N.