News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Меня зовут Никола.

Правильно: "Меня зовут Николя".

Это Юрий Алексеевич Гагарин космонот н Сергей Па́влович Королев инженер.

Правильно: "Это космонавт Юрий Алексеевич Гагарин и конструктор Сергей Павлович Королёв".

Это зонд и Луна.

Правильно! :)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Правильно: "Меня зовут Николя".

I'll trick the teacher with that one, because we have to put our names translitterated in Russian on our desks, and she didn't made any remarks about mine. :p That's something with the soft/hard "a", right ?

Правильно: "Это космонавт Юрий Алексеевич Гагарин и инженер Сергей Павлович Королёв".

:)

So is there a general rule about the order of the words ? For me, what you wrote makes more sense, its like in French or English.
Either change the word order or put some commas.

If we don't touch the order of the words, where would you put the commas to make the sentence better ?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
If we don't touch the order of the words, where would you put the commas to make the sentence better ?
Это Юрий Алексеевич Гагарин, космонавт, и Сергей Па́влович Королев, инженер.

Word order is usually a matter of emphasis.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Exactly like in French, except there is no equivalent of le/la/l' (the).

Word order is usually a matter of emphasis.

Yes, the teacher said it was quite flexible in Russian. Much more than in French.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I'll trick the teacher with that one, because we have to put our names translitterated in Russian on our desks, and she didn't made any remarks about mine. :p That's something with the soft/hard "a", right ?

Exactly. The point is if your teacher wanted you to just translate your name into Russian or to use Russian equivalent of your name. Because in the former case it's 'Николя' and in the latter it could be 'Никóла' (which is rather old-fashioned) or 'Николáй', or even 'Кóля'.

Привет, Колян! :lol:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website

Yes, the correct transliteration of French name Nicolas into Russian requires stressing that "l" is soft, therefore you should end with "ля", not "ла" (and accent this syllable, of course).

Правильно: "Это космонавт Юрий Алексеевич Гагарин и инженер Сергей Павлович Королёв".

:)

If you insist calling him инженер, last time he was in that role appears his working in Tupolev's sharashka circa 1940-1942. But I may mistake about what was written in his official papers.

So is there a general rule about the order of the words ? For me, what you wrote makes more sense, its like in French or English.

Yes, it's a natural order of a descriptive attribute and the subject, or commas have to be used like in Artlav's example.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If you insist calling him инженер, last time he was in that role appears his working in Tupolev's sharashka circa 1940-1942. But I may mistake about what was written in his official papers.

I think his offlicial title was something like "Chief designer" but I have no idea how to say it in russian :p. Now I think he is "Academician", as he had the post-mortem honor to be nominated at the Moscow Academy of Science if I remember well.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Korolev's title was 'Генеральный конструктор'. This means 'Chief designer'.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Korolev's title was 'Генеральный конструктор'. This means 'Chief designer'.

Nikolas should not confuse two homonyms in translation from English to Russian:

a designer -> конструктор (someone who creates projects of machines and machine parts).
a designer -> дизайнер (someone who invents style, paints packages etc, to make merchandise sell best).

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So the one that interest us is the one that you don't say like in English :p

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Everything's cool except that you have written руна (which means rune) instead of рука most of the times :)
Are you a left-hander, by the way?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Everything's cool except that you have written руна (which means rune) instead of рука most of the times

Ooh yeah we have a letter confusion there ! :facepalm:

Are you a left-hander, by the way?

Huh, no... :shifty: But a lot of people would say my way to hold a pen isn't very "orthodox" (I tend to grab them very firmly with 3 fingers, while most people use 2). :p

Actually the scanner zoomed the original, interesting, all small writing defects appear. You can even distinguish the tracks of the pen, which isn't possible on paper.

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Just wait until you'll write words with many "i", "m", "l", "sh" letters next to each other. You'll have a hard time after a while to decode what you wrote. :p

Or even wait a little longer until you start writing in French or English, letters: "p" instead of "r", "g" instead of "d", "u" instead of "i", "m" instead of "t", "y" instead of "u", "n" instead of "p", "c" instead of "s", etc. :lol:

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Huh, no... :shifty: But a lot of people would say my way to hold a pen isn't very "orthodox" (I tend to grab them very firmly with 3 fingers, while most people use 2). :p

The reason why I asked is that your letters aren't sloped enough which is common for left-handers (sometimes they even slope letters backwards). I don't think it's a mistake, many people write that way.

I hold a pen with three fingers two, by the way ;) And your cursive is far better than my, by the way :lol: Easier to read, at least.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The reason why I asked is that your letters aren't sloped enough which is common for left-handers

Ah that's normal then. Teachers don't like sloped letters there, they like them straight, so most people learn to write like that. I was wondering, given that the exemples on the sheet are clearly sloped (almost italic in fact), is this a characteristic feature of cyrillic cursive ?

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Ah that's normal then. Teachers don't like sloped letters there, they like them straight, so most people learn to write like that. I was wondering, given that the exemples on the sheet are clearly sloped (almost italic in fact), is this a characteristic feature of cyrillic cursive ?

Yes.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I asked the teacher this morning and she told me "Yes, native russians writers usually write in a sloped fashion, but it won't cost you any points if you write straight".

She's too kind. :lol:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Я плохо говорю на русском !

Ready for another round of brain-bashing tomorrow morning :lol: