Project ZanTar-Cheetah B-52 Catamaran

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Finally back with some updates.

Getting a multistage platform to launch for a Spacecraft3 vessel has kicked my behind, but it's finally getting closer. Hopefully within the week there will be a beta up on the Hanger for people to take for a spin. Much thanks to Liber and Sputnik for assistance with this.

Meanwhile I've been rethinking and recalculating things. I thought I'd offer up a bit of the background context that this project is coming out of, as I've been spending even more time writing lately than I have been working on this project. Honestly, I love how I can try out ideas with Orbiter and then use what I learn to re-inform what I'm working
on.

ZanTar-Cheetah's Daedalus B-52 catamaran and the Icarus manned micro-shuttle (refurbished-remodeled Boeing X-37Bs) happen in the Spring of 2022 and herald the next wave of SpaceX. The B-52s were purchased from a boneyard outside of Tuscan, Arizona and totally renovated utilizing both titanium alloys and carbon-composites. ZanTar-Cheetah (who go on to create the first cislunar tether-sling transportation network over the next decade - which also ties into their name) was founded by a group of dot-commers who came out of the last financial crises mostly unscathed which might help to explain the "bold" choices of both co. logo and design elements.

The latest changes to the Daedalus and Icarus:

Daedalus power plants - primary: 4 X GEnx-2B67 (recycled and refurbished from 747s), 66,500 lfb (296 kN) = 1184 kN

Secondary - 8 × Pratt & Whitney TF33-P-3/103 turbofans, 17,000 lbf (76 kN) = 608 kN

The 2 inner GEnx engines are spooled down for launching the Icarus platform, and the 8 Pratt & Whitney's are turned on then to compensate. Note this would result in a net gain of 16 kN thrust for pitching up for launch attitude. Naturally this can't be replicated with Spacecraft3, but I have tried to reflect these things in the model. It's the reason that I've disabled all the engine exhaust except for the GEnx's.

The Daedalus really can't be flown without it's rocket payload safely above about 40% full throttle. It wants to go supersonic.

The Icarus launch platform consists of 2 Castor 120s as stages, with 3 Castor 4B boosters attached to the first stage. The total weight of the Icarus and rockets is about 140982 kg, which is why ZTC was forced to revamp the catamaran using so many composites. The original B-52 was designed to carry about 1/5 this weight. Still, I have great confidence in the ZTC engineers.

picture.php

The latest revision of the ZTC-Daedalus B-52 catamaran test flight out of Rochambeau.

picture.php

Rochambeau test flight with Icarus launch platform attached. The Daedalus requires trim with the payload.

picture.php

Multistage2 experimental flight. Note the relatively small size of the platform. I've been unable to achieve orbit test launching from the ground like this. However, aerial launches from between 50 and 60 thousand feet have been successful (15.24 - 18.29 km).

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hopefully some of you who've pulled up this thread will be willing beta testers.

I'm currently working on documentation and should have a X-37b (liber's) drone version uploaded on Orbit Hanger Mods before the day is out.

The first beta release includes both a Spacecraft3 driven version, and a Velcro Rockets one. Required addons will be listed in the addon description.

Next up: the X-37b converted into the 2-man Icarus class micro-shuttle!

picture.php

Five seconds after jettison, the X-37B drone launch begins to get altitude.

Aurorus

Reaction score
This add-on is great! There should be more twin fuselage launch platforms for Orbiter. You've probably already heard this, but you could replace the terribly inefficient B52 engines with P&W JT9D engines (about 8 for your purposes?). You may want to read one of Dale Brown's novels like Dreamland (the first in the series). In it, he describes a fictional modified B-52 called the EB-52. He is very thorough in his description. I think an EB-52 would also be a great add-on in and of itself! Anyways, you might try the JT9D-7R4H1, as it seems to be the best variant of the engine available. Specs are found at following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_&_Whitney_JT9D

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Also, has anyone ever thought of trying to do a 747 or 787 dual fuselage vehicle? An aircraft made out of composites and generally less hefty than a B-52 might be better suited for a launch platform- also, bigger. We're going to need wider runways!

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Thanks guys!

I'm actually close to releasing the next beta version, and currently trying to finish up some better documentation and get past some of the Velcro Rockets obstacles I've been encountering.

I'm a bit embarrassed, but going back through my configuration files I've found some glaring (maybe even horrific) errors so those have been corrected. Aurorus, you are correct we DO need longer runways! KSC is adequate, but for my Rochambeau scenarios JATO assistance is required.

The Icarus manned micro-shuttle really is a way to get people into orbit to physically assemble the Ananke tether-sling (Tblaxland's and my creation from a few years ago). The Daedalus really has been an excuse for me to step away from writing to see if my ideas would work (at least in this environment).

To that end, I'll be adding the cargo-platform to the next beta as well. This is the Iktope platform, and each carries 4 tether-reels into orbit. The 3rd and final stage doesn't separate as ZTC wants that mass for the tether-sling platform.

Here's a couple of pics of it:

picture.php

This configuration is actually pushing the limitations of the Daedalus and I'm tempted (but only slightly) to scale things back slightly. The first two stage cores are Castor 120's and the 3rd stage is inspired by the Black Arrow. The nice part of this platform is it's ability to actually get some real altitude, which becomes necessary for the tether-sling platform which does a very eccentric orbit.

The payload is using tether meshes used in the Ananke.

picture.php

Thanks for the heads up on the P&W JT9D engines :thumbup: I'll be checking into this for the next release for sure. I'm still not quite satisfied with the current configuration (but do like how "heretical" it all looks). I think replacing the Whitney-Pratts might be the ticket.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm hoping to have the next beta version up later today or tomorrow. The next release includes 2 Iktope cargo platforms including the tether-reel assembly shown above and another carrying the cathodes and anodes to be used by the Ananke tether-sling. Here's a pic of the 3rd stage:

picture.php

The documentation is looking better and has specs for the B-52 catamaran and for the various included rocket platforms.

Big changes for this release as I've cleaned up most of the initial configuration errors from the first release.

The converted Icarus X37B is quickly coming together, and when it's complete I'll return to the Iktope cargo rocket payloads and change them into actual payloads that can be grappled, etc.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The first two stage cores are Castor 120's and the 3rd stage is inspired by the Black Arrow.

Black Arrow, didn't know anyone remebered that!
It'll be 40 years in October since the UK threw its launcher away.

N.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I was recently reading about some of the Space-X people picking up Apollo parts from recyclers for study via reverse engineering. While I seriously doubt any Black Arrow engine components are lying around somewhere, it's fun to weave it into my story and this addon!

I've turned back to the conversion of liber's X-37B into the Icarus manned micro-shuttle and am banging (my head mostly) out the required animations. I'm also attempting my first SC3 VC and just cannot get the darned MFDs to display....

But I've got several things accomplished so I thought I'd share a few pics of where it's currently at.

picture.php

Here's the telescoping solar panels fully deployed. Notice the size of the cargo bay. It's actually wider than it is long. After I get the animations sorted out, I'll experiment with Universal RMS as the Icarus really needs something like this.

picture.php

The Icarus, as a micro-shuttle, really exists in order to get people into orbit in order to physically build things. To that end a hatch has been added to what's become the cockpit. I've experimented a bit with UMMUFA and one of the goals here is to incorporate this with the first release.

picture.php

The view from the cockpit isn't the best, but I think it beats SS1 (but I'm biased).

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Awesome pics - I hadn't seen these before, Notebook. Thanks.

Yeah, "Inspired" really is the operative term here as mine is also using a kerosene/hydrogen peroxide system, and the specs I'm using are from Encyclopedia Astronautica, though the single nozzle design is from the Chariot (and Sputniks Velcro rockets). I probably should do some more research on the Black Arrow and maybe try to replicate that a bit more fully. Then again, it is abandonware....

The entire Daedalus-Icarus project revolves around recycling obsolete and shelved systems, and the Black Knight and Black Arrow were both inspiring to me those years ago. I really like the aesthetic of combining high and low technologies - cutting edge with the seriously obsolete.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, the UK did have liking for kero/HTP for some reason. I think down to the Royal Aircraft Establishment who did a lot of R&D on it.

If you haven't seen it UK Channel Four tv did a prog on Black Arrow:

http://www.space.co.uk/Features/UKSpaceExploration/BlackArrowProspero/tabid/258/Default.aspx

As you'ld expect? It pops up on YouTube:

Fun? bit is the reaction of some of the developement team at the start of Part 3

Could have been a good launcher, shame it wasn't pursued.

N.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm banging through things actually a bit faster than anticipated. Animations completed at this point include the cockpit hatch, the cargo-bay doors, the solar panel assembly, and the air-brake. I'm nearly done with the landing gear, and then I've got to try to redo liber's work with the ailerons, rudders, etc. Lots to do, but I don't think it's more than 2 or 3 days from being ready for a beta release.

I've also added scenarios incorporating Universal RMS, which I'm really excited about.

After I get the animations all squared away (and my current problem with the SC3 VC MFDs and HUD), I'll start playing with UMMUFA in preparation for getting the Icarus ready for what it's been designed for - carrying AstroNuts into LEO to physically build things.

Meanwhile, here's another pic for you all. It is the Icarus Micro-Shuttle, where "Micro" truly is the operative term!

picture.php

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
The Icarus is racing towards completion! I've got all the animations done (8 sequences and about 30 comps) and all the RCS flames set. Currently fine tuning the landing-gear brakes and working with engine and particle stream textures. I've also created a couple of scenarios using Universal RMS and am delighted that they saved and can be conjured up by loading scenarios. The biggest problem I've encountered with URMS at this point is I've had to scale the RMS down, and it doesn't want to grapple with anything over about 3 tons.

I may have to go back and figure out some other way of grappling Ananke Tether-Sling components for the final release.

But I should have the Icarus Micro-Shuttle up for beta testing within 2 days.

First I need to re-release the Daedalus B-52 Catamaran. The next one is SO MUCH better than the last! Bad news: the Daedalus mesh and all configuration files will need to be overwritten with the next version.

I've gone back into the Daedalus mesh with Mesh Wizard and played around a lot with the configuration file and I think the next release is a lot more accurate in terms of the physics. What I'm most pleased with is that even though the next version is still quite nose-heavy, it pitches upward much better now. The great part about this is it's actually possible to pitch up to 40 or 50 deg. at 60,000 feet and jettison the rocket assembly at a good attitude.

I've also got a version where the VC of the Daedalus is in the Icarus' cockpit for the Icarus release! I'm kicking around the idea of adding VC fields to each of the rocket stages so it'll be possible to "ride" in the Icarus cockpit throughout the flight. SC3's VC isn't really that good, but it might be fun nevertheless.

I'll be revising the Daedalus configuration files today and tonight as time permits and as soon as I have all the rocket platforms assembled right on the Daedalus' assembly I'll post the next version. And with that, it should just about be done.

I'll probably do another addon that's the Iktope rockets with Ananke Tether-Sling components using Universal Cargo Manager, but that'll follow the Icarus' release.

BTW- liber, if you're reading this - THANK YOU! Reverse engineering the X-37B has taught me more about both Anim8or and SC3 in a single project that both my others combined. :cheers:

---------- Post added 08-26-11 at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-25-11 at 02:35 PM ----------

Hoping to have the next ZTC-Daedalus B-52 Catamaran Launch Platform up on the Hanger by tonight. I'm feeling pretty good about the latest developments and thought I'd post some pictures of the fleet at Rochambeau Airport.

picture.php

ZTC Fleet at Rochambeau. The Daedalus B52 Catamaran, the prototype Icarus launch platforms with modified X-37Bs, and the Iktope cargo platforms. The Icarus sits in front of the Daedalus.

picture.php

From another perspective with the Icarus manned micro-shuttle in the foreground.

picture.php

And finally, a pic of the recently completed Icarus sitting next to a GEnx-2B67 747 engine!