Project ZanTar-Cheetah B-52 Catamaran

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
After discovering Loru's ETS-Prometheus I was inspired to try my hand at a huge catamaran launch platform which is something I've been contemplating doing for a while now.

I used Kev33's B-52 as a starting point and have been approaching the platform specifically as a possibility for the Prometheus. I'm not sure if this will actually "fly" by the time it's done, but do want to say thanks to Loru for the inspiration and motivation here.

As my other projects, this one comes straight out of my ongoing novel writing projects. Those of you who followed the Ananke Tether-Sling project may recognize Zan-Tar Cheetah's name. In the novel's scenario (Aria's in C Minor), it's the Dot-Commers who launch the major private space industries shortly after 2015. Since the story focuses on reusing already existing platforms, I've been focusing on using Titan rocket in various configurations for this.

Work done and rendered in Anim8or.

Attachments

• ztc-b52-4.jpg
    ztc-b52-4.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 38
  • ztc-b52-5.jpg
    ztc-b52-5.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 22
  • ztc-b52-6.jpg
    ztc-b52-6.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 43

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I've taken the platform out of Anim8or and done the Mesh Wizard optimization work, getting the mesh down to 56 groups. Plenty of Spacecraft3 animation work ahead, but it all looks pretty straight forward.

The first pics here are Anim8or mockups using Loru's ETS-Prometheus and Titan class rocket stacks as I've drawn from my writing (more novel in progress Orbiter work!). I wanted as much of the system to come from graveyard comportments.

picture.php

This is both a first stage and second stage Titan stack.

picture.php

Here, 2 second stage Titan rockets have been stacked creating a much smaller system. Still LEO capable? Haven't done the math yet...

picture.php

The B52-Catamaran on the runway at KSC.

picture.php

Detail of the attachment assemblies.

Loru's reminded me of Universal Cargo Deck, which I'd planned on experimenting with on the Tether-Sling project. Lot's of experimenting and scratching at the memory banks in the days to come.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
@Tacoley - I might just have to replace the engines with RB211's! Certainly the B-52 Catamaran needs all the power it can get!

I'm now coming to terms with the limitations of this platform, and weight restrictions have really been coming to play. I've reduced the Cat's fuel load (now running at approx. 30%) to allow more carrying capacity.

At this stage, the Cat really is turning into a platform for launching unmanned payloads into LEO (i.e. for transporting the tether-reels for the Ananke Tether-Sling) and for launching Liber's X-37b into LEO. I'd really like to refurbish the X-37 into a 1 or 2 passenger ultra-compact transport vehicle, but I need to discuss this idea with Liber. There's no way I can make an X-37 that's anywhere near as nice as his!

Currently using Sputnik's Velcro Rockets for this. The Castor 120 SRM and 3 Castor IVb's seem to be enough (with the X-37's hybrid engine) to actually achieve LEO!

It's exceeding my expectations!

Hope other's will find it as fun to use as I have been.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
16 jet engines are not overkill. If it had 16 shuttle srbs then it would be overkill, but only a little bit

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I gotta say, this looks like one of the best 2011 add-on turn outs, with Loru's stuff this just adds a new playground with it! I will look forward to updates! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Got custom fairing made for connecting the X-37 with the Castor 120. I'm so digging Velcro Rockets!

Here's a couple more from the ongoing platform tests.

picture.php

Liber's Boeing X-37 attached and ready for test launch. The new configuration means I need to rethink and remake the grapple assemblies.

picture.php

Launching the Catamaran with X-37 payload using 2 JATOs for take-off assist.

Going to do some 16 to 20 km launch tests later today. I'll get some more pics and post the results.

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
When my Capsule is done do you mind drop testing it to deploy parachutes and landing bag if possible?

Last edited:

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Why not? :thumbup:

Well, the proof of concept here is working for me. I did a test flight tonight where everything actually went pretty much as I'd hoped. A total fly by wire experience, and a most excellent evening test flight.

picture.php

The Daedalus climbing to absolute ceiling just over 18 km, and moving at about 260 m/s for release of the Icarus.

picture.php

The Icarus about 3 seconds after release from the Daedalus. Rotating the assembly to 80 deg. took about 18% of the fuel. I rotated into a prograde position with about 10% of the STS fuel remaining and continued to burn the X-37a's engine to achieve orbit.

picture.php

Liber's X-37a in orbit with about 43% of its fuel (430 kg.) remaining.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice one. Had the pilot(s) raised the gear, the dV would have likely been sufficient for a TLI.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
It does resemble the He-111Z, doesn't it? When I first saw Scaled Composite's White Knight I thought the same thing - at least in terms of the catamaran form.

I actually chose the B-52 here as the fictional ZanTar-Cheetah Ltd. approach is to recycle and reuse available resources and technology whenever possible. The boneyards outside of Tuscan, Arizona is where the aircrafts are purchased in my story. I'm really pleased that the rocket engines that are working for this (thanks Sputnik) are SR's from nuclear missile programs as well as that really plays well with the recycling theme.

Liber's given kind permission for me to use his X-37 as a manned conversion so that'll be coming at some point, too. For those of you, like me, who'd love to take a ride in a little converted shuttle like this - we're all in for a treat!

I'll turn next to animating the wheels and wheel hatches (yeah Wishbone, I wondered who'd call me out on the landing gear being down at 50,000 feet +) and make some decisions regarding my grappling assemblies. I'm really tempted to simplify these structures, especially since at this point I'm attaching the Icarus with parent-child attachments and using Releaseme MFD for the launch. Animations aren't really possible this way. I guess I'll try replacing the attachment points with payload and see if I can get that to work with the "J" - jettison instead.

As soon as I get the landing gear animations sorted out I'll post a Beta-Test up on Orbiter-Hanger for you all to try out.

Thanks for the encouragement gang!

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I've been spending time converting the Liber's X-37B into the Icarus so the platform has a manned spacecraft to use. I've also done a few more test flights and modified things to reflect my current understanding.

The Icarus riding a Castor 120 SR (I've dropped the boosters currently as they are overkill) into orbit is pulling a maximum of 6.93 g's. It'll be a thrilling ride, but survivable.

In the interest of verisimilitude, the windows added in this conversion attempt to replicate design "after the fact." I wanted the Icarus to look like a conversion rather than something that was designed this way. They may be overly small, but they are there and are useful.

I've added a couple more pics to the project gallery and thought I'd post them here.

picture.php

In addition to windows, a cockpit hatch has been added to the Icarus.

picture.php

In order to accommodate a 2 man crew, the original cargo-bay has been reduced to half the original size. While the original was arguably all ready too small, the necessity of a life support system and rearrangement of avionics really made this choice necessary.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Tacolev

Reaction score
Might be nice to have an optional docking module for the payload bay. Looks great so far!

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I would say never mind the cargo bay, at a certain point it just becomes superflous. Instead just fill the space with an interchangable avionics/instrument rack a-la the U2 or EA-6.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Moving the avionics and other electronic equipment and fuel tank out of the nose is why I originally cut the cargo-bay's size in half. After my latest rounds of experiments and test flights, I'm actually tempted to get rid of it all together as space in the X-37B is incredibly limited, especially now that I've doubled the fuel capacity.

I do want to leave a small one intact as it's important to have some sort of solar panel assembly, and it'd be nice to store some tools in there for EVA work. I've been fantasizing about a small RMS there, too - but that internal space is dwindling fast.

I've actually put the X-37 to Icarus class manned micro-shuttle onto the back burner as I attempt to complete the Daedalus B-52 Catamaran, which is actually getting close to completion at the modeling stage. Huge changes there.

As soon as I run it through Mesh Wizard and put it into Orbiter I'll post some pics. Several groups of Pratt & Whitney engines have been swapped out and replaced with General Electric GEnx-2B67 747 engines (6 total). I'm asking the Daedalus to lift over 100,000 kg (40 more than the B-52 was designed for) and I think I've got the power to do it. (Actually, doubling the capacity for the catamaran version gives about 63,000 kg).

This is not your Granddad's B-52. Probably the only version that has drag plates mounted onto its engines anticipating possibly scraping them on the tarmac.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

The boys and girls at ZanTar-Cheetah Ltd. have been busy living up to their "Can Do!" motto and the Daedalus prototype has been rolled out for photo-ops.

picture.php

As indicated in my previous post, 6 GEnx-2B67 747 engines have been incorporated into the remodeling, and 4-twin sets of original Pratt & Whitney engines have been retained. In addition, 4 Pratt & Whitney engines have been added in the back near the elevators and rudders as the inner GEnx-2B67's have to be powered off for the Icarus to be launched for obvious reasons.

picture.php

To successfully get the Icarus (or X-37B) into orbit from 16km, ZTC is using 2 Castor120 SRB's in stages with 3 CastorIVB boosters attached to the first stage. While this has effectively doubled the weight of the platform, it's still pretty small in comparison to other launch platforms.

picture.php

The payload/launch platform has been completely redesigned and uses both composite and advanced metals in its construction. Hopefully it allows easy reconfiguration for other mission configurations.

If any one feels like assisting with the aerodynamic settings with spacecraft3, please shoot me a PM. I have a feeling it's going to take me a while before I feel comfortable calling it "done."

Last edited: