:-) yay for user-created content

themoon7x

Reaction score
well i'm just astounded at the amount of user-created content that has been made for orbiter. i downloaded the program when it first came out years ago, and wasn't impressed enough to keep up with it. just ran across it a few days ago and wow....just wow. the community has really taken off. it would take me WEEKS to download all of the content! its been a tad confusing so far, b/c one mod requires another mod, which requires these other 3 mods, one of which requires something else....perhaps someone (or maybe me) should make a tree-diagram to show whats required and what order to install everything. i know i can figure it all out, just gonna take a little time. oh, and hello everyone :)

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
:welcome: to Orbiter-Forum :)

themoon7x

Reaction score
thanks for the link Tex, that'll really help me get started on the right track. and thanks for the welcome from both of ya :)

so here's a quick question...will my system easily handle all of these high-resolution textured planets, moons, spacecraft?
Intel Q6700 [email protected]
4GB Ram
Nvidia 8800GT
320GB HDD
Windows Vista 32-bit

Last edited:

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Your system is more than overkill for any addons available.

Make sure you know about the limitations of orbiter on vista though. Read this excellent research by Hielor

Happy Orbiting and :welcome: to the forum!

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
thanks for the link Tex, that'll really help me get started on the right track. and thanks for the welcome from both of ya :)

so here's a quick question...will my system easily handle all of these high-resolution textured planets, moons, spacecraft?
Intel Q6700 [email protected]
4GB Ram
Nvidia 8800GT
320GB HDD
Windows Vista 32-bit
The problems there might be Vista and your graphics card. Orbiter runs very well on lower specs. Powerful graphics cards don't do much since Orbiter uses DirectX 7 and minimal special effects. Also Orbiter doesn't seem to like some graphics cards. I have a GeForce 6200 OC but Orbiter looked much better when I didn't have a graphics card at all.

Also, (without reading the other thread, sorry) I believe using the OGLA graphics client with the new Orbiter beta should fix any problems related to graphics. (however, problems with addons might come in)

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
That computer should run it fine just make sure you use Vista Boost.

themoon7x

Reaction score
Your system is more than overkill for any addons available.

Make sure you know about the limitations of orbiter on vista though. Read this excellent research by Hielor

Happy Orbiting and :welcome: to the forum!
that's an interesting read...i'll be running at lower resolution than the last poster in that thread with the dual-core. i've got a much better motherboard (Intel 975XBX2 ~ higher cache/bus speeds), but ok, looks like my concern can be squashed. thankies for the welcome :)

*continues downloading orbital stuffs*

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
Sorta offtopic, but I noticed one add-on missing from there that is pretty much an essential: UMmu. It's required for all of the Fictional Vessels on there. Might be good to include it.

Cheers

@themoon:
That's a nice computer you have there, I wish I had anything at least upgradable to that. Instead I have an ancient AGP connection with a Nvidia GeForce 7800GS video card.