Search XR-Series SCRAM engine throttle control with a joystick

XeroZohar

Reaction score
I've look around pretty thoroughly and I can't seem to find any kind of addon for orbiter that controls the SCRAM engines on the XR-series craft by Doug Beach. Or really, anything that significantly enhances Orbiter's joystick support without issues.

FlyByWire seems to be one of the few solutions available, but it is abandoned as far as I can tell (and has been for some time), and has some issues with overpowering controls and not obeying some orbiter settings like RCS/LIN and AF switches, not to mention lack of support for some rudder pedal controllers. And of course, no use of the XR's API to allow SCRAM throttle, nor anyone interested enough to add it due to being programmed in Delphi.

Moach was/is working on a DirectInput solution that looked/looks promising, improving on many of FBW's faults, but again, not much information out of that front in a while either.

Honestly, given how popular the XR2 seems to be around the community (as far as I've seen), you'd think there'd be more clamoring for enhanced joystick support. And it's not like there's a dearth of awesome programmers out there in the community!

So yeah, long post shortened: Is there a solution I'm missing or am I stuck with having to map keyboard keys to my Saitek to control the XR SCRAM engines? (and yes, I know I could maybe do it myself, but I don't have the money for the development suites I'd need nor do I enjoy programming in the slightest anymore)

Thanks, and I hope I don't come off as too brash or annoyed. Any and all help is appreciated. :tiphat:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
What's wrong with mapping some keys to your joystick?
Would you prefer to control it directly through its dedicated axis?

XeroZohar

Reaction score
What's wrong with mapping some keys to your joystick?
Would you prefer to control it directly through its dedicated axis?

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. Mapping a throttle axis (like on a throttle quadrant) for proper analog control of the SCRAM throttle. I mean, the control API is there now, so I'm just surprised nobody has picked up the torch and done something with it.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I have the feeling that there aren't many joystick-throttle-hotas users among Orbinauts...
Maybe I'm wrong but it could have to do with Orbiter being not so "atmopheric oriented" by nature.

Anyway it could be useful, why not!!

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I just never ran into a need for a SCRAM throttle. It ends up being that you throttle them up, let them run until out of fuel, at which the SCRAM throttle is automatically killed. I just never have found myself in a position where I need to "feather" the SCRAMS during ascent, so if most others are in similar positions, there is just no impetus to get such a thing developed.

XeroZohar

Reaction score
I just never ran into a need for a SCRAM throttle. It ends up being that you throttle them up, let them run until out of fuel, at which the SCRAM throttle is automatically killed. I just never have found myself in a position where I need to "feather" the SCRAMS during ascent, so if most others are in similar positions, there is just no impetus to get such a thing developed.

I suppose you have a point. Though I've read somewhere that they're useful during reentry if you're off your target some, assuming you had any left when you reached orbit.

I think I'm just doing that "have hammer, need nail" thing. Oh well!