Work ethic

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Here is my pre ap english essay for the first week.

My Work Ethic
I can describe my work ethic in many different ways. Most importantly it is to put school as my first priority. I believe that school is the epitamy of your future. Who does not want a successful future?
I accomplish my goals through many ways of discipline not only through the mental picture, but my parents. At a young age I was taught to get the highest possible grades that I could, even at second grade. Call it crazy, but it worked. I have been making top grades in my classes. That led me to create a mature mentality. Instead of always hanging out with my friends or procrastinating I would think about it. What would benefit me the most? Do I want to do homework which could make or break my potential future or hang out with some people I probably will not even know in five years? You can already tell what I would choose.
On the contrary I come to school to get my work done. Even if I have time to finish at home. What I despise is when I and a few other students who actually do their work start talking non stop. It is really irritating to me because unlike them, I actually want a decent job. They might want to work at a gas station or Burger King, but I want to enroll in the USAFA. It is a prestigious school which only takes winners. Not losers. I even try influencing my friends to do the same as me because in various adults I am a role-model. As much as I try though it seems like it is not function to their brain. I eventually gave up and focused more on my personal life rather than theirs.
Sometimes I even wonder how it would be like to have their lives. Yes, it might be fun, but it cannot happen forever. By the time they are thirty I hope they are not doing the type of things they are participating in now. It would be a site if they were skateboarding as an adult. I have to admit that it is not the most enjoyable path to choose at this age because it can occasionally put much more needed stress than I can handle. I cope with that by doing some sort of extracurricular activity. Such as running track, weight-lifting, and playing soccer. It usually takes some of the stress away in a strange way. I just don’t forget about school and do whatever. I seem to just hide it away in a “temporary storage in my mind.”
My final thought for every single day that I live are, “did I do my best, “was I successful today,” or I recap my day. I mostly learn from trial and error. It consists of remembering my mistakes and coming up with a plausible solution to make up for it. I hope you have an idea about my work ethic now. It can seem complicated, but I think most teachers should understand. It’s more of a proactive way of living compared to a passive way of life.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
If I was to be picky, I would say there is no work ethics, just ethics.

I disagree with your view of "loser". Losing is a matter of not achieving a goal within a deadline and certain number of attempts. But the most pioneering things in life requires you to fail many times, until you succeed. So technically a pioneer is a loser until he wins. Most of dreams in life imply to be a loser for some time while you learn.

Notice that I do not include lazy people who do not move a finger to do anything.

Many people have different dreams. A job could be for losers for one person, and be the job of someone's dreams for another. Judging jobs that way may sound not very polite.

I am glad you have enthusiasm and dreams, and that's nice. You know that cheating is not the way to learn and be qualified.

But that's just my personal view.

Nice essay, BTW.

Last edited:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Would you say it is good for an eighth grader going into ninth grade?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
If I was to be picky, I would say there is no work ethics, just ethics.

In english, "ethic" in the phrase "work ethic" doesn't mean quite the same thing as "ethic" in "ethics and morality."

If someone has a strong "work ethic," it means that they are a hard worker and take a work-before-play attitude to life.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Would you say it is good for an eighth grader going into ninth grade?
I'd say it is excellent.:cheers::speakcool:

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

In english, "ethic" in the phrase "work ethic" doesn't mean quite the same thing as "ethic" in "ethics and morality."

If someone has a strong "work ethic," it means that they are a hard worker and take a work-before-play attitude to life.

Interesting. Thank you for the remark.:cheers:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Can't really assess your English, but somehow your essay gives a feeling that you aren't getting along with your classmates well.
That is just my beliefs. I don't find it necessary to joke around all the time like most of the kids I go to school with.

I'd say it is excellent.:cheers::speakcool:
Thanks!

Viper1

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You are to be commended for having such a positive arritude towards your future. A good work ethic is the foundation of character and that is one of the qualities that the Military looks for. With that said I must add that life needs balance. You should incorporate some time in your life for fun! Just be a kid once in a while. Goof off, as long as you don't harm anyone or yourself, learn to not take yourself too seriously all the time, as that can be stressfull. Enjoy life and youth while you still have it.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I hang out with my friends and have a fun time. I just don't over do it and get carried away.

Ark

Reaction score
You need to lighten up. High school is utterly pointless, nothing you do during it will have any bearing on your life five years down the road. It's there to indoctrinate you into obeying others, get you adjusted to living in a structured environment, and to filter out the lower few percent of students to ensure a continuous supply of workers for Wal-Mart and Micky D's. Nothing more.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
You need to lighten up. High school is utterly pointless, nothing you do during it will have any bearing on your life five years down the road. It's there to indoctrinate you into obeying others, get you adjusted to living in a structured environment, and to filter out the lower few percent of students to ensure a continuous supply of workers for Wal-Mart and Micky D's. Nothing more.
That is not true. How else do you think people get accepted into college? By doing excellent in their high school years and tons of community service.

Ark

Reaction score
That is not true. How else do you think people get accepted into college? By doing excellent in their high school years and tons of community service.

Doesn't mean anything if you can't pay for it, and if you can pay for it getting in isn't a problem. A couple of people from any given high school actually get scholarships and go to college without prior family fortune, the rest have to make due themselves, and thus the school doesn't really give a crap about them. Besides, SATs are more important anyway. There's value in paying attention and learning stuff, but that value is completely drowned by people constantly screaming at you "YOU'LL NEVER MAKE ANYTHING OF YOURSELF YOUR WHOLE LIFE UNLESS YOU DO EVERYTHING PERFECTLY RIGHT NOW!"

Don't buy into the hype, high school is stupid. They indoctrinate you and railroad you through, unless you're one of the ones bringing money and prestige to the school, in which case everything is handed to you on a sliver platter.

*insert masturbatory smiley here*

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Not for the AFA. ACTs are what they are looking for.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Here are a couple of thoughts I have on your essay:

1) Ethics are just a state of preferences shared by a group of people common to a single topic. What is ethical to one group is unethical to another. This also applies to "work ethics". Problem comes into play when people use the word ethics like it's a static, black & white entity that everyone should know the unwritten rules for. It's just as bad as using the statement "politically correct" to apply to a situation. Neither phrase is so cut and dry as people make them out to be. They're phases that beg the person to either show agreement or dissent. This is a prompt by the writer to judge where you fall in comparison to their opinions. One needs to read into the intent of the writer when they use such phases.

2) Stating that you have "work ethics" will not get you a job in real life. Neither will looking down on the "work ethics" of others around you. What an employer is most interested in is not what your idea of "work ethics" are, but rather how well you fit into their work environment and adapt to their particular set of "work ethics". Personally, my suggestion for you would be to enjoy your surroundings more at school. It is a bit unnatural to be so serious about anything in 8th grade. My suggestion would be to lighten up and socialize. This recommendation is coming from someone almost 40 and has 2 college degrees. Getting far in life has a lot less to do with what you currently consider "work ethics" and a lot more with how you interact with others. What an employer wants to know is that you have good personal interaction skills with others, know the basics of what your job entails, that you can adapt to their specific work-flow and lastly that you have a piece of paper stating you have a degree in the field of work you're applying for. ;)

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

That only applies to states that have closed admissions. Many states don't really care what your high school academic status is, they just want your money. There is a happy medium to be found when you can find a school that has prestige, yet is open admissions. You should not be stressed out about succeeding in college or having issues being accepted. Just score decent on your college entrance exams so you meet the requirements of what you want to do and just enroll. Closed admissions schools are more hassle than they're worth. High School record and community service have ZERO bearing on acceptance to open admissions schools. To prove the point, I am a former high school dropout and I have both an Engineering degree and a Communications degree and will begin working on a third degree in September.

Last edited: