Wind ambience driving me nuts

Capt. Speirs

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
New to this Sim, not the sim world. Cut my teeth on Sublogic's ATP and Micrpose Falcon 1.0, remember those, dating myself here. Currently involved with FSX and now Orbiter (great Sim).

I want to change the sound file for "wind ambience" and have not decided to what yet. My question is; am I alone here or have others changed this sound file and others, like the shuttle launch sound? The Shuttle launch sound is missing the low pitch crackle that we have learned to love.

Deke

The Original AstroNut!
Reaction score
New to this Sim, not the sim world. Cut my teeth on Sublogic's ATP and Micrpose Falcon 1.0, remember those, dating myself here. Currently involved with FSX and now Orbiter (great Sim).

I want to change the sound file for "wind ambience" and have not decided to what yet. My question is; am I alone here or have others changed this sound file and others, like the shuttle launch sound? The Shuttle launch sound is missing the low pitch crackle that we have learned to love.

So turn it off or change it?

Cobalt

Reaction score
I've not swapped anything in or out, but honestly most of the time I'm listening to the TV or music.

I might be wrong, but I think the Shuttle Fleet addons have more sounds. Don't know if they're what you'd need though

Capt. Speirs

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So turn it off or change it?

Quite capable of changing it or turning it off, My question was "am I alone?", I am curious what if any replacements anyone has used and I have yet to decide what I am going to replace it with.:dry:

-----Posted Added-----

I've not swapped anything in or out, but honestly most of the time I'm listening to the TV or music.

I might be wrong, but I think the Shuttle Fleet addons have more sounds. Don't know if they're what you'd need though

They do have more sounds, however the launch sound byte is not right, missing the crackle. It is closer but not there. Maybe someone can go to KSC and record a launch.;)

Tommy

Reaction score
If you're talking about the wind sound on the ground, not the airstream sound, then you might be interested to know that Dan created that sound by blowing into the microphone (according to the Orbitsound docs).

By the way, if you're missing the crackle in your main engines make sure you have the volume sliders on the Windows sound mixer turned all the way up. That makes a big difference on my Audigy.