Project Wideawake International: Ascension Ultra

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ah yes, but which tuesday :hmm: :rofl:

im liking it though, shouldnt be a problem, maybe even add a simple map into the MFD, but im sure we'll manage without

thanks guys, and bring on Tuesday!

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I see where you are coming from regarding engineering. But architecture is art... or rather, architecture can be art... yet still retain it's functionality. If you ever go to Dubai, you will know what I mean.

That's fair. I actually HAVE been to Dubai so I know what you mean :thumbup:

Don't feel obligated to change anything on my account (as I said it looks incredible) but looking at the shear size of those windows in comparison to the XR5 just drives home (in my mind) how impractical they are. Maybe adding a grid/diamond texture and toning down the color saturation on the windows would help with the suspension of disbelief without sacrificing the overall "Art".

cologneTrainStation.jpg

Done well it could be interpereted as an homage to the golden age of Rail Travel.

All aboard for the Jovian Express!

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
That's fair. I actually HAVE been to Dubai so I know what you mean :thumbup:

Don't feel obligated to change anything on my account (as I said it looks incredible) but looking at the shear size of those windows in comparison to the XR5 just drives home (in my mind) how impractical they are. Maybe adding a grid/diamond texture and toning down the color saturation on the windows would help with the suspension of disbelief without sacrificing the overall "Art".
your window comment is fair, and I have played around with a 'lattice' texture for the windows. The only reason I didn't model panels was to keep poly count reasonable. I figure some future tech carbopolimer-plastic could be used for larger spans than current glass, but it is still an 'issue' on my list. And the colour is definitely beta! I need to experiment some more, to get the best balance in day/night look.

But don't worry, I won't change anything on your account! ;)

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
WILL some of the code,meshes,textures be for download like generic hangars?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm late as well to this thread of joy! Awesome WHAP, thanks for your hard work on this mate! Really looking forward to it!! :)

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
WILL some of the code,meshes,textures be for download like generic hangars?
Well technically it will all be available, since the project is open source... or at least the contents will all be open source once it's done. I encourage people to make their own bases with the code and such.

I'm late as well to this thread of joy! Awesome WHAP, thanks for your hard work on this mate! Really looking forward to it!! :)
Cheers buddy... I'm looking forward to the video! ;)

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

A little update,

For a number of reasons I have redesigned some portions of the base. Not that anyone would probably notice so far lol. But therefore I have put a base map in the OP showing the layout. I will get some pics up when the dev work has been completed on the changes.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I encourage people to make their own bases with the code and such.
Hopefully this will all help make future bases better places to be. :)

I'm muddling away at a spaceport on the Kwajalein Atoll, but I think I'll leave this coding business aside until the place looks at least half as nice as the default KSC... :shifty:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
TURNAROUND HANGARS (TA Hangars) - These are large capacity hangars designed to facilitate the quick processing of vessels. Each has animated doors and a functional cargo gantry crane, as well as UMMU management. It has the capacity to support 3 light DG class vessels or one Super Heavy XR5 class vessel.

Another quick question if I may. Do the cargo hanger cranes have the ability to pick up and move cargo, or is the motion just for 'show'?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Another quick question if I may. Do the cargo hanger cranes have the ability to pick up and move cargo, or is the motion just for 'show'?

ATM it is just show, but it is intended to use UCGO features to pick up and move cargo before going beta.

Shinrar

Reaction score
A few days late but it seems no-one answered this!

-Preprogrammed UCGO buses and support craft - optional but for demo scenarios of your new base, I can help to plot vehicle routes, etc.
Now that's quite a cool idea. How does it work? is it a UCGO feature, or...?

It is a feature of UCGO, called "autopilot". You essentially can program way points (and they save in the Scenario File) for vehicles, and they'll navigate along a preprogrammed path. Before I accidentally deleted it, I had a scenario in Wideawake where I had (among other vehicles) a UCGO Bus zip around from the airport terminal to the hangars and back, and my UMMU would jump on, ride the bus on autopilot, and jump off at his stop.

I think what Carmen is asking for, is a scenario file (which can be copied and built off of) that contains a few things, such as a bus zipping around, a few fuel trucks, a cargo vehicle that picks up and carries cargo from random unused buildings to other unused buildings - just to make the place feel alive.

It can easily be done (and Carmen even offered!) with a single volunteer and the current work in progress base (assuming nothing moves, so you'd probably wait a while). Make good material for a Demo Video showing off the base and the functionality!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I did a UCGO scenario for my Newcastle(UK) airport add-on.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3788"]EGNT(Newcastle_UK)Ver2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4829"]Newcastle UCGO Scenario.[/ame]

Its 21 stock UCGO AI vehicles moving around the airfield and local roads. It dosen't do anything, purely for visual affect.

Shameless plug over.

I could have a go at doing one for WIA Ultra once its out.

EDIT: looks like this:
http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k207/Notebook_04/?action=view&current=UCGO_1.mp4

N.

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
just had a thought about ATC chatter: just make a new orbitersound radio channel, easy as that. [i hope]

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
We could either use real ATC chatter and mash them up into a channel, or we can do a community ATC pack with all of us roleplaying controllers and pilots :D

Heck today I was demoing on teamsound and OMP how to vector air/spacecraft and starships for formation ops to orbit and in space.

On the topic of UCGO capabilities they are almost unlimited. It's very easy to even add your own bus models (I can do a WIN Ultra livery for the bus), program support convoys, staff cars, and even refuelling trucks to automatically refuel spacecraft for launch at the start of the demo scenarios.

UCGO programmed cars in action look like this:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=236098&postcount=454

I released a couple of scenarios with the XR5 Russian and Japanese repaints as well, which use the above setup for a drive to the ship and 3 landspeeders as chase vehicles for the takeoff run.

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
why not make some UGCO vehicle repaints for these guys, keep it nice and simple (ish...), one that we would see zooming round the cosmodrome every time we launched from there

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Ok I will trade WIN UCGO vehicles for pillow fortress, cute kittens, anime girls etc :D

In the meantime... SPACE FOOD!

Attachments

• axertan astro beef.jpg
    axertan astro beef.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 21
  • ASTROBEEF - 1024 copy.jpg
    ASTROBEEF - 1024 copy.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 55
Last edited: