General Question Where to find a good tutorial about to introduce own rockets at OSFS2016?

Oswaldo

Reaction score
Dear friends,
I`m totally beginning in use of this nice simulator. I just searched about tutorials about to input own spacecrafts, but without success, anyone remember a good tutorial for that?

llarian

Reaction score
There are many tutorials available. There is one subforum dedicated to tutorials. In addition there are many, many youtube tutorials that will help you out. One series of tutorials in particular by AR81 may be of more use to you as an Orbiter beginner.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For the bare basics, there is also the config file documentation in the docs folder. This will allow you to create functionally simple vessels with a mesh, thrusters and docking ports, though without animations, instrument panels or virtual cockpit.

Reactions: GLS

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Ola! If you want real spacecraft like Apollo, Dragon, etc. then I recommend the following add-ons to download and install (usually) in your Orbiter2016 folder:
  • AMSO 2.3 – for Apollo missions (beware the linked page is written in both English & French, and install the Orbiter 2016 version)
  • Cargo Dragon – for Cargo Dragon spacecraft
  • Crew Dragon + DM-2 + Patch – for Crew Dragon spacecraft
  • Falcon 9 B5 + B4 – for Falcon 9 rocket
  • Falcon Heavy – for Falcon Heavy rocket
  • Orbiter Sound 5.0 – must have if you like sounds while playing Orbiter 2016 (it is an MSI file and if you run it & select your Orbiter2016 folder, then the program will install the add-on in that folder)
  • Project Mercury X – for Mercury missions (install the Orbiter 2016 version)

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
For the bare basics, there is also the config file documentation in the docs folder. This will allow you to create functionally simple vessels with a mesh, thrusters and docking ports, though without animations, instrument panels or virtual cockpit.
That's the Orbitersdk/doc folder.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It is? I really thought they were located in the normal docs folder nowadays...

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It is? I really thought they were located in the normal docs folder nowadays...
The pdfs I'm refering to are the API_Guide and 3DModel. They are a bit outdated, but probably still over 95% valid.
In the Doc folder there is also the OrbiterConfig.pdf which has info on base and planet configuration, along with other "general usage" documents, but for addon development, the stuff in the Orbitersdk/doc folder should IMO be #1 in the reading list.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In the Doc folder there is also the OrbiterConfig.pdf
Yes, that's the one I was referring to. It also contains the config documentation for vessels, which is the easiest way to start and get something flying. The API reference is probably not the right place to start... ?