.dll Question When to link against what?

Xunie

Reaction score
The OrbiterSDK (2016) comes with 7 libs to link against.

• Lua/lua5.1.lib
  • Lua/lua51.lib
  • orbiter.lib
  • Orbitersdk.lib
  • DlgCtrl.lib
  • gcAPI.lib (part of D3D9Client)
  • GDIClient.lib

But in what cases do you link against which ones? Are any of them dependent on others? etc.

This information isn't given in API_Guide.pdf or on the orbiter wiki. Maybe this kind of information needs a tiny paragraph or two in the aforementioned pdf?

I'm asking all of this because I'm trying to set up a simple/minimal CMakeLists.txt so I (and anyone else) won't have to deal with Visual Studio and can just build the solution from a batch script using CMake and msbuild.

Turns out you can't just download old versions of Visual Studio anymore and the latest version of VS is being horrible and can't convert the old .vcproj files to the new version without bugging out and you having to 'fix' the solutions and re-add linking dependencies. :facepalm:

I'll share the (easy to use) CMakeLists.txt far and wide when I've got it all worked out, of course.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I worked on a FindOrbiter.cmake before going into parental leave, interested in collaboration there?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
(emphasis mine)
The OrbiterSDK (2016) comes with 7 libs to link against.

• Lua/lua5.1.lib
  • Lua/lua51.lib
  • orbiter.lib
  • Orbitersdk.lib
  • DlgCtrl.lib
    [*]gcAPI.lib
  • GDIClient.lib
I think gcAPI.lib does not come with OrbiterSDK, but specifically only with D3D9Client.

I also think I only ever linked to orbiter.lib and Orbitersdk.lib.

Xunie

Reaction score
interested in collaboration?
I'm a firm believer of "Perfection achieved when nothing is left to take away". So I'm not sure there's much room for collaboration considering I want to keep the damn thing as small as possible and easy to use. Emphasis on "small" here.

I'll paste what I got so far: https://pastebin.com/raw/cCaRHVBF

I think gcAPI.lib does not come with OrbiterSDK, but specifically only with D3D9Client.
Well, hot diggity damn. You're right! :thumbup:

(Edited original post to reflect.)

Last edited: