What Tough Situation Were You In

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ugh, :facepalm:

I used IMFD to get to Mars, but I punched Venus in by accident...You can figure out the rest.

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
I had a rather tense rescue moment the other day, where I was quite flustered, and decided to burn to the moon, and fly at 1000x without any corrections. I was quite surprised when my PeA read -2.534K at a couple hundred kilometers. Luckily I was on a DG-IV and quickly oriented retro, burned off the last of my fuel correcting, and then quickly ejected.

I got the remaining crew together, strapped on some turbopacks, and managed to slow our group descent to about -10 m/s. Injured, but at least they lived, I thought. I then quickly dispatched a rescue from Brighton loaded with medics to help them.

The moral of the story: Don't pilot spacecraft while angry. It endangers everyone on board :lol:

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I almost killed everyone in my DG-IV because i tryed to reenter a planets atmosphere in witch the planet was slightly larger than Earth. I also did the wise choice of filling the cargo bay and having maximum fuel so my reentry got to a crispy 2590 degrees celcius. I only managed to not kill everyone by firing the engins at max power to slow my decent to i didn't blow up. It was a very scary reentry.

Luke Skywalker

Rebel Alliance Hero
Reaction score
Yesterday, everything went perfectly for my first station in LEO, although it was too perfect, when i selected Zarya node and looked at the Orbit MFD, i quickly panicked as my Periaspis was around 83.5KM, luckily though i boosted the periaspis higher using the engines on Zarya and it went up to 90 KM, fun times, after that everything went back to normal.

squeaky024

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My toughest situation was on my first reentry ever with the stock dg (everyone thinks "oh boy here we go") The reentry itself makes me cringe now... since I went down nose first :uhh:

This also created a problem for me, because the right elevon blew off. The added strain also blew off the other elevon, leaving me control-less... or so I thought until I had the bright idea of using RCS for control. I used map mfd to find the nearest base, which I hoped I could land at and save myself. The closest one I found was in texas (I came out of plasma somewhere past southern california) When I reached texas and flew over the "base" I was shocked... "Where is the base" I circled a few times wondering where it could possibly be, turning 360 degrees several times, before blasting away east with my dwindling fuel supply for another "base" somewhere north of ksc on the east coast. (another wonderful mistake). Same thing happened... there was no base. Now DANGEROUSLY low on fuel I made a super efficient flight to ksc, and landed somehow with a few drops left in the tanks. From that point I learned two things, and had a huge question.

The lessons
1. That's NOT how you reenter
2. The bases are a lie

The nagging question
1. What exactly fuels that plane... really! :rofl:

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
I got a new one. I was using for my first time IMFD to make a Moon to Earth transfer. I also decided to use my spare dV to align myself to ISS. Everything was going great until i needed to move my PeA to the decending node for the Align planes MFD. I burned but that caused my fuel to run down on me. I had to use up all my fuel to save myslelf from burning up. With only 7.4% in my XR2 tanks, i needed to take all my experience with aerobraking to the max. I needed to get my ApA down to 90k. I was going to attempt a atmospheric cruise and align myslef with KSC and Wideawake. I managed to be so good with my energy, i was going to make Wideawake and beyond.

I was still not alligned aparantly dead on with Wideawake, but i was close enough to level off the wings at 60k and turn toward the airport and circle it on the way down. i aligned with the runway and landed.

This experience was so fun, I will be making a challenge of it.

TG

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I planned a round trip from Earth to Neptune in an XR-5 a few months ago. It was also my first trip to Neptune, so I had no idea that I would have to aerobrake through Earth at at least 40 km/s. Apparently falling for 15 years gives you a lot of speed!

I spent the next half hour trying to figure out if I could rescue a ship in such a ridiculously large orbit and realized that the rescue ship would have nowhere near enough fuel to catch up with it, let alone slow it down. I was probably missing a crucial bit of physics knowledge, but it was a tough situation nevertheless, and I hope this serves as a warning to any naive navigators out there. :salute:

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
I was flying a lunar transfer.
It was after the periapsis correction burn that I realized that I didn't correct my orbital flight path. I was at time warp *10,000 so I immediately stopped it (barely, but just in time). I corrected my trajectory, then I corrected my periapsis again to reduce it to 60 Km again. Then, at about T-1,000 seconds to perilune, time warp *10,000, my little brother, who was watching me that entire time, felt that this was the right time to yell "YOU'RE MISSING! YOU'RE MISSING!". I got scared from the sudden scream, which I clearly wasn't prepared for (for I was calm as this was supposed to be my fifth successful lunar transfer), and instead of pressing "R" to slow down the time warp, I mispressed "T" and so I went into a *1,000,000 time warp for about 3 seconds. Of course it was too late: I want into an orbit around the sun, circling it at 30Km/s. I slowed down the time just in time to see earth rotating away from me on my "apoapsis".

Conclusion: NEVER let your little brother watch you do lunar transfers!!!!!!!! :facepalm:

Lydia

Cynder Fan
Reaction score
i was going to mercury and i burn't the wrong way doing a FULL LOOP out from earth, Past Mars, almost crashed into Jupiter and back to Mars zoomed past it and ended up back at earth XD when i got to earth i was going WAYYYY to fast so i had to burn retrograde for one game hour to circulise my orbit lol

Mantis

Reaction score
My most recent situation was flying the Apollo 17 mission with the AMSO addon. About 1 minute before the SII cutoff, I lost 20% thrust and then second later, lost the ascent autopilot too. I took manual control and completed the S-II burn and manually did the orbit insertion using the S-IVB and had just enough fuel remaining to complete the TLI burn successfully afterwards.

One of my dumbest screw ups (which I've done two or three times now) was dock the DGIV to the ISS while forgetting to open the nose cone!

Last edited: