What is your favorite thing to do in Orbiter?

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
My favorite is re-entering Earth's atmosphere in NASSP. Rolling the Apollo CM back and forth while watching the G's, making sure not to come in too steep or too shallow, is very enjoyable.

Last edited:

RAF Blackace

Reaction score
Doing any AMSO Apollo mission in its entirety in ONE continuous sitting (no saves) without using any launch autopilot or auto burns or LEM (P-45/61 etc) programs (in other words in complete manual), locked into the cockpit (no view outside), as close to the historic timeline as possible, Landing the LEM as close to the historic landing site and splashing down as close to the historic splashdown site as possible, and NOT getting killed.

Takes a couple of hours, but it's a real relief when those drogue chutes open, and you're still in one piece.

My Apollo 15 LEM manual landing video from 2010-P1

Last edited:

WolfAngriff

The NSEU (Never Satisfied End User)
Reaction score
As my favorite addons are broken in Orbiter 2016 (Themis LV, the CSSC, UCGO...), i have a lot of fun with the Deepstar 3.1 addon. I'm planning a good Mars mission, but first i have to (re) learn a lot of things in Orbiter. I love to make custom missions too, tweaking the .scn and .cfg files as to make direct missions with real rockets (Ariane 5 or 6, Kulch's Energya, Falcon 9...) to planets with the wonderful Chapman Probes addon under the fairings. I'd like to make missions with the great Igel's addons, but i still have some difficulty to understand how to make custom missions. But it will work !

llarian

Reaction score
I've grown up with LEO all my life (65 yrs) and we still haven't achieved much beyond that in terms of human space flight. So I built my own Mars bases at Pavonis Mons and Erebus Montes, a couple of asteroid bases and a fleet of six asteroid stations between Earth and Mars and delight myself with the modelling and flitting Mars/Asteroids system.

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
My favourite thing to do is simulate passenger flights to and from modified Brighton Beach (Lunar City Mod, it's outdated but kinda works). I pretend that the XR5 is a big passenger spaceliner, and simulate standing at Wideawake International (Which is very glitchy in 2016), loading passengers, doing pushback, taking off, getting to orbit, etc. I even made my own little passenger seatbelt "ding" that sounds every now and then. I even simulate a "hot dog roll" while on the way to the moon, making sure they get clear views of the surface while doing braking burn at moon, and do a horizontal, aircraft-like landing onto the pad using retro and hover engines. It's always fun flying through the gap of the 2 mountains that is added by Lunar City Mod. I wish I could calculate and send cargo to the moon and back, but I don't really know how to do that, so I just go with an empty cargo bay. I also love using IMFD for these flights. Whenever I am bored in school, I would load up a quicksave of a direct, inverted reentry from the moon into Earth's atmosphere, and directly land at Wideawake again. All thanks to the power of IMFD.

To be honest, I haven't gone farther than the Moon. I also enjoy rendezvous and docking, or even just cruising in LEO with a XR2 or a DG.

Next summer, Hopefully I can use IMFD and get to Mars!

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
As my favorite addons are broken in Orbiter 2016 (Themis LV, the CSSC, UCGO...), i have a lot of fun with the Deepstar 3.1 addon. I'm planning a good Mars mission, but first i have to (re) learn a lot of things in Orbiter. I love to make custom missions too, tweaking the .scn and .cfg files as to make direct missions with real rockets (Ariane 5 or 6, Kulch's Energya, Falcon 9...) to planets with the wonderful Chapman Probes addon under the fairings. I'd like to make missions with the great Igel's addons, but i still have some difficulty to understand how to make custom missions. But it will work !
I really like Kulch's lunar masss driver, Lunar city, and Fuel Service Station mods. Very very fun. The mass driver doesn't work, unfortunately, in Orbiter 2016.

WolfAngriff

Reaction score
I really like Kulch's lunar masss driver, Lunar city, and Fuel Service Station mods. Very very fun. The mass driver doesn't work, unfortunately, in Orbiter 2016.
What ??? I don't know those ones ! I'll take a look ASAP. Thanx for the info ! ;)

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
What ??? I don't know those ones ! I'll take a look ASAP. Thanx for the info ! ;)
Lunar City; I found the mod on an abandoned website. It adds a very nice habitation city dome; I think David Courtney did a video on it with Beautification of Brighton Beach. I think I found it on the abandoned website as a mod pack that adds all sorts of stuff, including changing pad textures. It's a 2006 or 2010 mod, but works just fine in 2016, except for the mountains it adds.

The Mass Driver is a platform on MAGLEV rails that accelerates to orbital velocity. You can place ships on top and release them, sending them into orbit. It is very glitchy and I could only find it on an abandoned website that is now gone. It also caused a lot of CTDs in 2016, probably because the only version I could find was 2005.

The Fuel Service Stations are very nice. They are Extremely large fuel tank space stations. You can dock and refuel using the ReFuel MFD. It's a 2005 mod, but it worked for 2010 and 2016 just fine. Also found on an abandoned website.

Attachments

• A Different Brighton Beach.zip
    361.4 KB · Views: 2
  • MassDriver3.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • FSS2.zip
    717.2 KB · Views: 2

WolfAngriff

Reaction score
Thanx for that, it's very nice from you ! I'll give it a try this week-end. I guess you already know the Tankers addon for Energya Rocket ? They're on OH.
It's sad that Themis and CSSC are dead in Orbiter 2016... I've asked the developpers if it was planned to renew them, and the answer was "If there are enough people inerested by it". But it seems those brilliant toys have been forgotten. Another version of Orbiter is under developpment. Let's hope ! Thanx again !