Problem Weird FPS in the NASSP 2D cockpit

Radar_Contact

Reaction score
Hey,
so I recently started Apollo 7 mission, and I have problems with FPS in the 2D cockpit. For the first few minutes of simulations, everything with FPS is OK, but after some time in the 2D (main panel, and only here) I am getting ultra low fps. Why? Video showing this -

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks like your system isn't able to handle it, I would tweak your d3d9 settings and panel settings to try to increase performance.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Its your system and how its handling orbiter/NASSP. Remember the 2d panels are all strung together bmps so they actually can take more to process than 3D panels in this case.

Would you mind sharing the orbiter performance graphs and your settings?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The 2d panel is very cpu intensive. I recommend using the split panel option in the configurator. 3d stuff is all handled by your GPU so it's much more efficient.

I used to get 10-15 fps on my old dual core xeon box on the full 2d panel.

Thymo

I like breaking things
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nassp.space
What are your specs?
I know we don't currently provide a set of minimum system requirements and we are thinking of ways to determine those (anyone with ideas DM me).

NASSP is pretty CPU heavy, especially in the 2D panel. I'd like to explain why.
The way the 2D panel works is by overlaying bitmaps images. The bottom layer is the panel itself, on top of that each switch is individually drawn on top of the panel layer. This can only be done by the CPU and takes quite a bit of work. The 3D panel as you've experienced performs way better because that can all be done by your GPU. There are ways to improve the 2D panel performance. You will see the most gain by setting the CSM main panel to multiple, split panels. Then the panel will be split up so the CPU doesn't have as much work anymore.

Attachments

• 1641499647644.png
    1641499647644.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 123

Radar_Contact

Reaction score
Would you mind sharing the orbiter performance graphs and your settings?
Where can I find performance graphs?
What are your specs?
I7 4790 3.8Ghz
RTX 2060 6vram
16 ram

But why when I start orbiter FPS are good for the first few minutes and are low later? It's like when I do save (at bad fps) and then exit and return to orbiter, fps are again good.

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Where can I find performance graphs?

Right click on the menu bar while in the simulation. This will bring up a window that allows you to configure the overlay info at the top.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I have an i9 9900K 8 cores 16 threads at 4.6ghz.
After about a day of sim time, my FPS starts to drop off in 2d panel. By two days of sim time, it is almost unusable in 2d panel mode.
I‘m not sure if this is the same issue, but something is causing fps to drop as sim time runs.

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
I have an i9 9900K 8 cores 16 threads at 4.6ghz.
After about a day of sim time, my FPS starts to drop off in 2d panel. By two days of sim time, it is almost unusable in 2d panel mode.
I‘m not sure if this is the same issue, but something is causing fps to drop as sim time runs.
Do this drops happen on LEO (Apollo 7, Apollo 9)? If so, it may be because of particles around the spacecraft (urine/waste dumps). We discovered that on my Apollo 7 RTS. (Don´t know if related, just :mytwocents: )

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Do this drops happen on LEO (Apollo 7, Apollo 9)? If so, it may be because of particles around the spacecraft (urine/waste dumps). We discovered that on my Apollo 7 RTS. (Don´t know if related, just :mytwocents: )
Yes.
Also happens in deep space. Really noticed it on Apollo 8 when I returned from lunar orbit to splashdown in one sim run (3+ days of simtime)

By the way, congrats on your Apollo 7 RTS... VERY impressive.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I also noticed that "smooth scrolling" leads to FPS drop from 60 to 40 in 2D cockpit (for active V-Sync). Also FPS drops to 40 (about) during 2D panel switching.

Last edited:

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Yes.
Also happens in deep space. Really noticed it on Apollo 8 when I returned from lunar orbit to splashdown in one sim run (3+ days of simtime)

By the way, congrats on your Apollo 7 RTS... VERY impressive.
If it happens on "deep space" I think that the particles are not the issue.

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I also noticed that "smooth scrolling" leads to FPS drop from 60 to 40 in 2D cockpit (for active V-Sync). Also FPS drops to 40 (about) during 2D panel switching.
When you say it drops, do you mean that fps drops over time, or just drops relative to 3d views?

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
When you say it drops, do you mean that fps drops over time, or just drops relative to 3d views?
Second one, relative to the 3D cockpit, external view... and I only tested this on the launch pad. I have almost stable ~40 FPS all time on the central panel of 2D cockpit when "smooth scrolling" is set to be "on". I also noticed that in others 2D panels it doesn't appear, namely I have 60 FPS on them. So, it seems I have ~40 FPS only on the central 2D panel when "smooth scrolling" is "on".

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Second one, relative to the 3D cockpit, external view... and I only tested this on the launch pad. I have almost stable ~40 FPS all time on the central panel of 2D cockpit when "smooth scrolling" is set to be "on". I also noticed that in others 2D panels it doesn't appear, namely I have 60 FPS on them. So, it seems I have ~40 FPS only on the central 2D panel when "smooth scrolling" is "on".
Okay. That makes sense, it's a known phenomenon and everyone will experience this. The 2d main panel is a huge CPU hog, and uses a very outdated method for drawing the panel (via the oaipBlit() function). Newer 2d panels (like the stock deltaglider et al.) use a texture on a 2d mesh, and are drawing by the CPU. NASSP's origins go way back to 2002 with the panels being added in 2004 so there is still some legacy code there.

I'm not sure what would cause the other issue, which is what a few have reported. It's definitely not something obvious and it likely isn't even NASSP code. But rest assured it's something that will be pursued to the degree that is possible.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
For me, the FPS drops over time. When I first load a scenario, I get about 100 fps on the main panel. Over several hours of simtime, it gradually drops off. Extreme case, after a day or so of simtime, it is almost unusable. VC fps does not drop off over time.