Internet Wanderers

Unstung

Reaction score
Coincidentally, I just noticed this video pop up in my Bad Astronomy RSS feed. Someone must also be subscribed to Phil Plait's blog.

Wernquist has some nice, detailed descriptions of the beautiful scenes in his galley. It shows how awesome our own, real solar system can be. Reality can be inspiring enough as it is.

EDIT: Looks like I found a new desktop background.

Last edited:

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I got it from reddit... strangely enough, it made front page via r/futurology instead of r/space (1654 vs. 130 upvotes).

Well, on second thought maybe it indeed fits better in r/futurology :)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
"All locations depicted in this short film are recreations of actual places in our solar system"

I must've missed some big news recently, because I don't seem to recall an O'Neill colony (as depicted from 2:14-2:24) actually existing anywhere in our solar system... :p

Also not sure about the depiction of airships on Mars. Isn't the atmospheric density a bit low for airships like the one depicted to function?

Other than that, neat video :)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I must've missed some big news recently, because I don't seem to recall an O'Neill colony (as depicted from 2:14-2:24) actually existing anywhere in our solar system... :p

He mentions outside of the video that the colony is actually in the hollowed interior of the asteroid shown in the previous shot. He got the idea from Kim Stanley Robinson, who called it a terrarium.

So while it is still a very fictional concept, it is technically still a real place in the Solar System.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
He mentions outside of the video that the colony is actually in the hollowed interior of the asteroid shown in the previous shot. He got the idea from Kim Stanley Robinson, who called it a terrarium.

So while it is still a very fictional concept, it is technically still a real place in the Solar System.
Fairly sure that the asteroid in the previous shot does not in fact have an O'Neill colony inside it, or even a hollow interior... so no, not a real place :lol:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fairly sure that the asteroid in the previous shot does not in fact have an O'Neill colony inside it, or even a hollow interior... so no, not a real place :lol:
From the above linked image gallery:
Erik Wernquist said:
The concept is that this asteroid has been hollowed out on the inside, pressurized and filled with a breathable atmosphere. Then it has been put into a revolving spin, creating artificial gravity on the inside by centripetal force. It works sort of like inside a spinning washing machine, only much larger.

I didn't mean to say that it was naturally or currently hollow, just that the asteroids are real, and apparently possible to excavate. It's doubtful anything shown in this video will ever happen, that's why it's all speculative.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The shot of people walking the ice on Europa is neat...just as long as they are okay with a good dose of radiation.

And the shot at the end, where the woman is wearing a warm coat and an oxygen mask, I thought that was Titan but turns out it's actually supposed to be the gondola of a balloon over Saturn itself. Either way I imagine you'd want to dress a lot warmer than that!

The idea of a Saturn balloon ride intrigues me for another reason: once you're in that wind stream you will drift wherever the wind takes you, like it or not. Kind of hard to plan a supply drop or an orbital launch, assuming, that is, you are even sure where you are! Kind of cool.

I would have to call such a ship the "Lando Calrissian" of course.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The angle of the rings seems all wrong if she's supposed to actually be above Saturn...

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Either way I imagine you'd want to dress a lot warmer than that!

Fashion. Women love fur!

The angle of the rings seems all wrong if she's supposed to actually be above Saturn...

Not to nitpick, but if you define surface as place where pressure is around 1 atm, then she is on saturn.

The angle looks OK for a high latitude location, as per this video.

What may be confusing you is that she is on the night side, and the rings is are only partially illuminated -- so they appears "vertical"... The entire scene is illuminated by reflected light from the rings, hence the title - Ringshine.

DBnZ6XN.jpg