Question Virtual Reality

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry I thought this was a new thread so please ignore this post...

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Is there any news on how to play Orbiter in VR with vorpX?

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Is there any news on how to play Orbiter in VR with vorpX?
I spent time over the last months experimenting with Orbiter 2016 + D3D9 client and did some succesful sessions on various addons.

I will take the chance, then, to resurrect this thread and share my information (I wanted to create a new thread).

The headset that I use is a Valve Index, so I use Steam VR.

Vorpx installation and setup
This video explains everything about VorpX and how to get it. You should know that it is payware software, with a "manual" activation process with starts upon sending an email to the author requesting activation.
To setup VorpX, launch "Configure VorpX" wich should appear on your start menu:
1712679964286.png

Then, load the Orbiter profile by going to "Cloud Profiles" and type Orbiter on the searchbox:
View attachment 37718
Import and Endorse the profile (this one is the one I created) and click on Apply.
1712680000796.png
Go to the "General" page and check that your settings are as mine (might depend on the headset you are using):
1712680041076.png
Click Apply and close. Verify that the following icon appears on the system tray, wich means VorpX is standing by to hook to the simulator.
Now VorpX should be ready.
1712678318457.png

Orbiter setup
Launch orbiter, to go to the launchpad. Before doing so, though, close VorpX for a moment:
1712678426811.png
Do the basic setup as any other nominal Orbiter session, but this time we will enable TrackIR and tweak its settings:
1712678535108.png
  • Go to Extra -> TrackIR Configuration.
  • On the Mode tab, check only the first option (Virtual Cockpit View)
  • On the VC tab Check only "Track Rotation", set Default Range to 180, and uncheck the "Track Position" and "Freeze camera" checkboxes.
  • On the Track tab check "Track Rotation" and select "By head orientation". Disable "Track Zoom", and now, very important set both deadzone and speed to 1
  • Click OK.
Your Orbiter is now setup for "VR". Exit the launchpad to close the Orbiter process.

Launching Orbiter and hooking to VorpX
Now this is the step where the magic happens. If you have issues beyond this steps, write them and I will try to answer them to help you get your Orbiter VR experience.
As a first consideration before starting I should point out that VorpX doesn´t render correctly the 2D views of Orbiter (2D panels or glass cockpit) so you should pick a vessel with 3D cockpit and MFD´s integrated into it. I will however give you hints in the next days on how you can get external MFD in your VR environment and be able to interact with them without having to remove the headset.

Start your corresponding equivalent to SteamVR:
1712679102287.png
Once SteamVR is running (One hand controller is optional but I will explain that on the following days) start VorpX by finding it this way on the start menu:

1712679305180.png
Once you start VorpX it will go directly into the System tray. As explained earlier, it´s standing by to attach itself to the Orbiter process.
Now launch Orbiter, and an scenario having into account the recommendation I gave you earlier (3D cockpit vessel with MFD´s). You might need to relaunch orbiter for a second time if it´s the first time using VorpX. (On the first time it needs to create some internal files).
Once Orbiter launches, you will see some VorpX watermarks on the Orbiter window/screen. That is perfectly normal, and indicates that VorpX is capturing Orbiter.
Sit down straight and put your headset on. Recenter the view with Control+Space. Set your FOV to 90º with Control+Z. Welcome to "Orbiter VR"!

vlcsnap-2024-03-10-20h07m38s864.png

I´ll do another post giving you some more recomendations and explaining the VorpX menu, accesible with the "Delete" key, and already in video version.

Also the video where I learned how to setup VorpX for this:

Best regards,