Internet Video Thread

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Are you kidding? That's probably what he does in his off-time, if he's a true geek.
There is little doubt that Don Pettit is a true geek. But don't believe me: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/crew/exp6/spacechronicles_videos.html
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Saturdays aboard the station are usually free time for crewmembers, who often take the opportunity to do some housecleaning and then look out the window, read a book or write a letter.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]

Pettit spent some of his Saturday mornings conducting his own series of scientific experiments, and he videotaped some of them and downlinked them to the Mission Control Center in Houston, Texas.[/SIZE][/FONT]
He would probably be running Orbiter sims up there too, if he could only connect to OrbitHangar :p.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is a newer Wierd Al song, a la Doors (embedding disabled, click link to view on youtube):

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZqciuoiikw&feature=channel"]YouTube - "Weird Al" Yankovic - Craigslist[/nomedia]

Dambuster

Reaction score
In this video, at 9:27 and 9:51, there are some effects that I'm wondering about. They were much more prominent on today's (STS-128) launch, but could someone please tell me what they are?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
In this video, at 9:27 and 9:51, there are some effects that I'm wondering about. They were much more prominent on today's (STS-128) launch, but could someone please tell me what they are?
My guess is plasma from air friction. MECO occurs at only 105 km typically, there is still plenty of air there.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
You're also seeing RCS thruster plumes. I think that big "ring of fire" around the tail of the vehicle is what happens when the SSME plumes get out from behind the windbreak of the fusalage and hit the slipstream. Some sort of dynamic effect between the exhaust and the atmosphere. I wish they would put some cameras on one of these launches in different locations and without a fisheye lens. Someday soo there won't be a space shuttle anymore and the coolness factor of these flights will be lost.

Dambuster

Reaction score
Thanks!

You're also seeing RCS thruster plumes. I think that big "ring of fire" around the tail of the vehicle is what happens when the SSME plumes get out from behind the windbreak of the fusalage and hit the slipstream. Some sort of dynamic effect between the exhaust and the atmosphere. I wish they would put some cameras on one of these launches in different locations and without a fisheye lens. Someday soo there won't be a space shuttle anymore and the coolness factor of these flights will be lost.

True, I think Ares looks cool, but the shuttle is far cooler. :(

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Procrastination

I am seriously suffering or fighting this, especially in the last couple of months, and this video is so true...

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
that video made me feel so bad about myself. Man that's a downer.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
That video is well-made, and horrible. I could feel time wasting as I watched it. Why does so much art involve drowning in pools of despair?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I think I'll wait a few more days before watching that video...

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This will probably make you laugh:

Unstung

Reaction score
Just a video of the moon through binoculars when I was taking pictures of it:
[ame="http://vimeo.com/6900185"]La Lune on Vimeo[/ame]

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
This may be a little late, but here is an attrctive looking reporter standing NEXT to the TMA-16 launch. Meanwhile, Guy Laliberte makes a complete fool out of himself: