Hardware Video card recommendations?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I think it's about time i gave my P.C. a little upgrade.
Here is what i currently have:

Processor: Intel Celeron Dual Core E3300 2.50 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM DDR3 1333 MHz
Graphics: Intel GMA 3100 (onboard)
O.S.: Windows Vista
HD: a)1TB + b)160GB
DVD: ±RW Double layer DVD-R22x

I've hooked up my 36" TV on this and i used to get an average of about 30-40 FPS on Orbiter2006 (1024x768) when i was flying around in my favourite ship (XR2).
(Actualy the FPS range from 120-140 *interplanetary* to 15-20 *close flyby over Overton Island*)

I'm thinking of getting me another 2GB of RAM and a new Video card.
The budget is 300-350 Euros.

Any recommendations?

I want to be able to run Orbiter2010 with the OGLAclient and to get the best visual settings i can.

Thanks in advance
Dimitris

KosmoKen

Lost in Translation
Donator
Reaction score
You can get an Nvidia GTS 200 series, or a 400 series if you want to use your whole budget. What's the wattage of your PSU? Because that's going to give you a limit.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks KosmoKen, the wattage is 400. (But i think i doesn't cost much to go to 550W, right?)

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the NVIDIA 9 series has cheapened up quite a bit since i bought my dear old 8800...
those are some serious cards which support the latest in shader tecnology... more than you need for Orbiter, actually :thumbup:

they don't make the 8 series anymore,.... and all the new ones have HD support, now that it's become "trendy"

i can run orbiter2010 in low-specs on my GPU-impaired laptop, getting about 15-17 FPS... not great, but also not too terrible, considering that's pretty much what i get out of FSX in my not-exactly-subtle 8800GTX

but if you got yourself a buck to spare, check out the GTX480 - the NVIDIA site doesn't show anything more extreme :tiphat:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i think you'll need a beefier power supply for that... mine is a 700 Wt, juicing up the 8800 as well as 4 hard-drives and an untold number of assorted coolers

all that stuffed into a large CPU case which i got for free 'cause parts of it were held together by tape :thumbup:

do mind tho... those insane GPUs are considerably overkill for orbiter... perhaps with the OGLA client you can have give it a good run for it's money, tho :hmm:
mine does lag out a bit with post-process FX and full shadows...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you're gonna run OGLA, then no amount of computing power is too much.

There's also the upcoming release of Deus Ex 3, which will probably force me to upgrade my computer...