New Release Vehicle simulation

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok so with the new beta(I am assuming a fresh unpack of orbiter100830.zip and then orbiter111105-100830diff.7z contents copied over it), does it work on your machine with some of the older addons which were released sometime back, like say Orulex or UCGO ?

Orbiter doesn't work at all after the update, that's the trouble... but I have yet to figure out why exactly, but it certainly got nothing to do with your module.

So with dependency walker, does it say exactly which library is missing by any chance.

Dependency walker told me that IESHIMS.dll was missing form system32. The dll is a part of the internet explorer install, and located somewhere else on the harddrive. Copying the file into system32 removes the error from the dependency list, but doesn't solve the problem in Orbiter. But I do wonder what an IE library is doing in those dependencies... :?

Apart from that, DW is only missing Orbiter.exe and Freeglut.dll, because it is looking for them in the plugin-folder where bump.dll is located. I checked Orbiter Galaxy to see if that is standard and not linker-related, and here DW cannot find the dependencies either, i.e. it looks for them in the root folder of the DLL by default, so that is not the problem. So, it would seem that dependencies have nothing to do with the trouble...

EDIT:

By the way, if you make a scenario with only ATVShuttle in it and disable the Bump module, does that scenario load ?

Negative!

Also, no missing dependencies found in all the other participating modules.

Last edited:

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
yeah, Orbiter.exe and Freeglut.dll missing is fine, its only looking for them in the system path and Orbiter.exe's path is probably not there.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Clarification from before:

By the way, if you make a scenario with only ATVShuttle in it and disable the Bump module, does that scenario load ?

The scenario DOES load. The scenario always loads, it just can't load your modules. Any of your modules, it would seem...

dumbo2007

Reaction score
I am thinking if its an issue with Orbiter being compiled with VC++ 2008 and my modules being compiled with 2010.

Wonder if there is a compiler option to invoke backward compatibility. Another possible issue is 32 bit Orbiter compiled vs 64 bit modules loaded, but that would have prevented the loading of the modules in my system too.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am thinking if its an issue with Orbiter being compiled with VC++ 2008 and my modules being compiled with 2010.

Easy to answer: If version 3 was compiled on 2008, 2010 is most probably the trouble. If version 3 was compiled on 2010, the compiler has nothing to do with it.

dumbo2007

Reaction score
Yes its most probably 2010 which is the issue, but I would have thought that backwards compatibility would be there for modules compiled with 2010. So even if Orbiter is compiled with 2008, it should be able to load a module compiled with 2010.

I ll install Visual Studio 2008 and check.

----------------

ok there are issues with downgrading to 2008 : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms246609.aspx

I will need to recompile Bullet and recreate my projects as well. Lets see if any other solution comes up before I go ahead with that.

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Orbiter doesn't work at all after the update, that's the trouble... but I have yet to figure out why exactly, but it certainly got nothing to do with your module.
Are you writing about updating Orbiter to the latest beta or after updating the Bullet to latest version which made Orbiter not running at all?

Orbiter was compiled with VS 2005. There are no problems with loading modules compiled with VC++ 2008 or 2010.

Another possible issue is 32 bit Orbiter compiled vs 64 bit modules loaded, but that would have prevented the loading of the modules in my system too.
Orbiter SDK libraries are 32-bit, so there would be error during linking, and not after that (i.e. the DLL wouldn't be created).

I'll check if it's loading fine for me after I switch to Windows, later today.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Are you writing about updating Orbiter to the latest beta or after updating the Bullet to latest version which made Orbiter not running at all?

I'm writing about copying the latest Beta-update over a clean 2010 P1 install, but I currently don't have the time at my hand to delve deeper into the matter. I'll take a look at it when things around here are going a bit slower, currently I don't really need the Beta anyways.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If it's "the configuration of the application is incorrect" problem then look there

Nope, I'm familiar with that one. Windows throws a "side-by-side configuration error". I'll give some details once I get around to it.

dumbo2007

Reaction score
I'll check if it's loading fine for me after I switch to Windows, later today.

As usual, thanks so much Orb :)

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Ok, here we go again, recompiled everything under Visual Studio Express 2008 SP1, win32 platform, release version. The new release is no. 6

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, I have good news and bad news...

The good news is, VisualStudio 2010 was obviously not the problem after all. The bad news are directly related, and I think you already know what I'm going to say...

Same trouble, same error messages in Orbiter.log. :(

damn, I really want to try this out!

I hope someone else can reproduce the problem on their machine, because I think we need more data here.

dumbo2007

Reaction score
hmm, the plot thickens ! :)

The only difference between Bump 3 and 6 now is that I am using Windows 7 SP1 and Visual Studio Express SP1

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just downloaded the latest version (Bump 6). Seems to work perfectly for me.

dumbo2007

Reaction score
So were you able to climb the ramp to the crater rim ?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Er, no, not the best driver here apparently LOL. I made it about halfway up the ramp and fell off...

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

EDIT - having a weird problem. When I get close to the ramp, speed drops, then about halfway up, I can no longer maintain velocity and I start sliding backwards and fall off. If starting off at the bottom of the ramp, I cannot go faster than 11, and shifting gears at this point seems to have no effect. Shifting gears only seems to make a difference when rolling on a flat surface, and only when I am a few meters away from Brighton.

Last edited:

dumbo2007

Reaction score
Hmm, you may need to pump the accelerator a bit after a gear change(the up key). There is no clutch as yet :). The speed should go up. Also braking at high speeds is not a good idea, nor is turning. If you need to straighten the wheel even with the pedal to the metal, then you can press the spacebar.

I gear up to 6 before getting on the ramp and then try to keep the wheel straight by making very small direction adjustments and straightening the wheel quickly. The rover can reach speeds of over 1000 km/hr, but to be in control its best to keep it about 150 km/hr

If Orulex 1.2 is installed then it will be detected and you can ride on the terrain(keep gears low). else you will come to the end of the ramp and fall off it :)

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And whadayano, after re-installing VS 2005 libraries with the latest security fix, not only works the new orbiter beta, but this too. Very interesting.

So anyone using Orbiter 2010 P1 is in the potential danger of having VC runtimes that run orbiter, but not this add-on. Sorry for unerving you with all the recompiling.

Now, how on earth do I get up that ramp...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
And whadayano, after re-installing VS 2005 libraries with the latest security fix, not only works the new orbiter beta, but this too. Very interesting.
This doesn't need to be surprising, because the plug-in module and vessels were built using Orbiter 111105's SDK, which was created with the same version of CRT as Orbiter, and it contains reference to version 8.0.50727.6195 of the C++ runtimes, which are available there: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update.

Now, while I'm in Windows, the version 5 of the plug-in of course loads fine for me, as I've had those libraries installed.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, played around with it a bit. First things first, totally awesome work!

I can't even begin to imagine what all might be made possible at one point or another in the future. Not only driveable terrains, but also walkable buildings... hrmhrm.

It's still a bit away from that. This implementation works very well technologically, the handling is another matter. It's even worse than the make... :lol:

A bit less sensitivity on the steering wheel would be highly appreciated, and most of all it would be great if the buttons wouldn't get interrupted by other buttons. For example, if I push down the pedal and then steer, the program promptly forgets that I am holding down my gas pedal until I press it again...

Also, you probably noticed that, there's something wrong with the normals of the shuttle mesh. It looks like coolhand tried two-sided normals, which aren't supported by orbiter. There'll have to be an inside of the shuttle.

But really, this mod seems like a potential game-changer. It might just change about everything!