Project USS Independence NCC-F1300

KirkUnit

Reaction score
I haven't been around for a while, but I haven't been idle either. I've been very flattered by the warm reception my Enterprise add-on has received and I've decided to follow it up with the U.S.S. Independence Starfleet freighter from TAS.

CDINDY.jpg

It should be done by Christmas.

Also, a forum member has expressed interest in a Saladin/Hermes scout/destroyer. With any luck, I'll have that done by next week.

KirkUnit

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I haven't been around for a while, but I haven't been idle either. I've been very flattered by the warm reception my Enterprise add-on has received and I've decided to follow it up with the U.S.S. Independence Starfleet freighter from TAS.

CDINDY.jpg

It should be done by Christmas.

Also, a forum member has expressed interest in a Saladin/Hermes scout/destroyer. With any luck, I'll have that done by next week.

KirkUnit

I like that. I cant make any promises, but if you contact me sometime after December 20th, I might be willing to create a Dlled version of the Enterprise & this with UMMU/UCGO. Im afraid I cant see transporters happening anytime soon though :lol:.

KirkUnit

Reaction score
I like that. I cant make any promises, but if you contact me sometime after December 20th, I might be willing to create a Dlled version of the Enterprise & this with UMMU/UCGO. Im afraid I cant see transporters happening anytime soon though :lol:.

Thanks!

Assuming we are all still around after the 20th, I might just drop you a line!

KirkUnit

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
that is the coolest trek universe ship EVER! love the boxy, retro style

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fantastic, KirkUnit!

Can we maybe expect to see shuttlebays modeled, and maybe doors animated? :)

If you're interested in the source code for the DLL I wrote for KirkUnit's Enterprise, I can send it to you. It had lights, sounds, and a shuttlecraft.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I always thought transporters would be good. A way to transfer from 1 ship to another. tractor beam is possible thru attachment

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I always thought transporters would be good. A way to transfer from 1 ship to another. tractor beam is possible thru attachment

Ummm Id love to know exactly how on Earth that could be done :lol:

Fantastic, KirkUnit!

Can we maybe expect to see shuttlebays modeled, and maybe doors animated? :)

If you're interested in the source code for the DLL I wrote for KirkUnit's Enterprise, I can send it to you. It had lights, sounds, and a shuttlecraft.

Sure, one can never have too much source. The one I downloaded was SC3, maybe I need to take another look.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just set up an an attachment parent and set a child point. and attach the vessel if in range. But on the transporter not possible. you can teleport to another vessel but the ummu would be in space if you did it to a vessel

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But on the transporter not possible. you can teleport to another vessel but the ummu would be in space if you did it to a vessel

Nothing's impossible! The way I'd imagine vessel-vessel teleportation would be limited to between vessels designed specifically with code receive UMmus and add them to the crew list (in other words with their own transporter room, so sadly no boarding action), but perhaps it's better than nothing.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nothing's impossible! The way I'd imagine vessel-vessel teleportation would be limited to between vessels designed specifically with code receive UMmus and add them to the crew list (in other words with their own transporter room, so sadly no boarding action), but perhaps it's better than nothing.

That would work if someone could code it. I thought that would be a great to transfer between 2 vessels so you wouldn't have to exit the vessel

KirkUnit

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great replies. :thumbup:

I'm in the process of converting all of the textures to work in Orbiter etc. It will take a while.

In the meantime I'm just about finished with my "kitbash" of the Saladin class destroyer - U.S.S. Phoenix NCC-625, that I mentioned in my first post.

USS+Phoenix.jpg

Here is my description of her from my blog...

My USS Phoenix is just about done. Still have a few details to work out and a couple more textures to make and apply.

I've deviated from the Franz Joseph design in a couple of ways. First, on the Franz Joseph design the "cut-out" section of the nacelle - the part with all of the detailing - is rotated 90 degs so it face downward. This allows the Starfleet emblem and the registration numbers to be applied to both sides of the nacelle. I've never liked that configuration as it puts all of that neat detail on the bottom were it is rarely seen. I decided to leave my nacelle in its original orientation as I think this is more logical, and, it keeps me from having to make a new texture for the right side of the nacelle.

The next big change I made was the navigational deflector. The F-J Saladin class had this mounted on a mast extending downward out of the lower sensor array. This I didn't like for two reason - it looked tacky and it "blocked" the front end of the warp nacelle. While in the Star Trek Movie Era, not all starships have visible navigation deflectors (i.e. the Miranda/Reliant class) apparently they are an integral part of starships of the TOS era.

The solution I came up with was really pretty simple. I rationalized that a destroyer/scout ship would, at times, be operated far off the beaten path (so to speak) and would find itself in situations larger starships would try to avoid. This being the case, I reasoned, maybe they would have two navigation deflectors...

So, I built a mounting "box" on the lower end of the "neck" and then I decreased the size of the original navigational deflector by about 40%, made a copy of it and put one on each side of the new mounting structure. IMHO this looks much better than any other concept I've seen on the Saladin class and now the twin nav deflectors don't block the warp nacelle.

Finally the new mounting sponson is also home to a single photon torpedo launcher and two aft firing phaser banks.

KirkUnit

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

There are a ton of problems with the Indy class when it comes to adding a shuttle bay. Most of them have to do with scale.

The plans I used by Geoff Mandel make this abundantly clear and have been the subject of much discussion on Trek modeling forums across the internet!

The "hump" on the aft end of the main deck has two hatches on it - neither one of which would be able to fit a full sized shuttle craft. On top of the hump is a spot landing target ala the Enterprise shuttle bay and a turntable, also obviously inspired by the Enterprise shuttle bay.

As with the Enterprise shuttle bay this turntable serves as an elevator to lower the shuttle to the maintenance bay at the bottom of the ship. How it does this is not quite clear and their is no provision for a door to seal off the rest of the cargo hold when the elevator is in use.

There are four "cargo door", two on each side, which could be made to operate, but they are barely large enough to allow a work-bee to gain access let alone a full sized TOS era shuttle.

I could make the cargo doors open, but that would require building an interior of the cargo hold... Hmmm... I'll see what I can do...:hmm:

KirkUnit

KirkUnit

Reaction score
Sorry this is taking so long. I had a little trouble getting the model into Orbiter, but I think I've got that worked out now.

It shouldn't be much longer till I have both the Indy and the Phoenix up at Orbit Hangar.

Let's just say I hate Vista!

KirkUnit

KirkUnit

Reaction score
Now that I have the problems with my USS Phoenix ironed out, I've been concentrating on the USS Independence.

Some here have expressed an interest in having operating shuttle craft bay doors. According the the plans by Geoff Mandel, the cargo doors on the side of the ship open to four small cargo airlocks which in turn open to the interior of the ship - no room for a shuttle in any of those airlocks. However, it will be fairly simple to make the doors open and close and add a basic airlock interior.

As for the cargo airlock on the top of the ship, a classic era shuttle will just barely fit, but docking would not be a lot of fun! Plus, it doesn't look like that was the intention behind this structure, as the spot landing target is on top of it. I view it more of an access point to the main hold, with shuttles landing on top and crewmen in spacesuits manhandling the cargo into the ship via the forward and aft doors.

It should be fairly easy to make these doors operate too. But, what about shuttle operations?

Well, I've decided to make the center of the spot landing target a docking point which will coincide with a docking point on the bottom of a shuttle craft. I believe there is a TOS shuttle over at Orbit Hangar Mods which is set up that way.

However, I wanted something a little different...

JeffriesShuttle.jpg

It is not widely know that Matt Jefferies who designed the Enterprise, was himself a pilot. He did not design TOS shuttle craft, and, in fact really didn't like it! He knew what aircraft looked like and could easily project that look into aerospace vehicles of the future and a butter dish with mini warp nacelles on it wasn't even close!

When talk of a new Star Trek series or movie began in the late 70s, he designed a new shuttle craft - one which, ultimately, never made it to screens either large or small. However, I figured that this would work perfectly with my Independence class small freighter.

So here she is, a WIP.

Now, does anyone know where I can get a pilot figure for it? I don't do "people" very well!

KirkUnit

Last edited:

KirkUnit

Reaction score
Hard+Dock.jpg

We have capture and hard dock!

Well, I've figured out how to add a docking point using Spacecraft III! So, my Phase II shuttle craft will have a place to park! Of course the orientation needs a teeny bit of tweaking...

Just finishing up details on the Indy (including a new warp nacelle effect) so it shouldn't be much longer until she is released.

KirkUnit

KirkUnit

Reaction score
Hard+Dock+II.jpg

Okay, now we are getting somewhere! I have docking points on both the shuttle and the Indy and they both work beautifully! I just have a few more textures to add and some tweaking to get the cargo doors working, and she will be ready for release.

The shuttle will require a little more work. The interior is rather spares so I need to add and instrument panel. And I may take a whack at adding a pilot (in a Red Shirt, of course!) but I don't want to delay the upload just for that.

We'll just see how it goes.

KirkUnit

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi Kirkunit, sorry I took so long to get this assembled for you but here it is

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6025"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6025[/ame]

Your USS Enterprise model, DLLed, with UMMU UCGO support, new exhaust textures tweaked a bit, and hull textures that I edited a bit to make them look like metal.

I wont be jumping on this project right away, as I have a few other things higher up in my list, but I would strongly suggest creating a model of the bridge for use as a VC mesh. If we could get that working nicely, this will probably be one of the best add-ons created for Orbiter yet.