US Solar Eclipse August 21, 2017

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Cross-posting a bit from Random Comments, so please forgive my geek pride. I wrote a Python script that recorded voltage data on my RPi B+ from a photocell "observatory" that I set up in my kitchen window. Managed to catch the light level signal of the local partial eclipse with my cheapo 10-bit ADC despite high overcast. Partial eclipse started at 17:28 UTC, reached maximum at 18:47 UTC, and ended at 20:00 UTC, 64% maximum coverage.

Didn't get to actually see the eclipse as I was on the other side of the state inside a hospital with my mother (it was overcast there anyway) so I am very glad I set up this data logger before I left that morning. It is...something.

EDIT: My mother and I were watching eclipse coverage on the Weather Channel when the nurse came in. She saw what we were watching and said that a bunch of doctors were going on about it and were scheduling procedures around the eclipse. She said (with an air of disdain) that she didn't know what all the fuss was about. My mother never hurt a person in her life, but the look she gave to the nurse caused her to instantly see the error in her ways. I was very proud.

Attachments

• Eclipse Data.png
    Eclipse Data.png
    33 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

AssemblyLanguage

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
On August 21, the Sun was the subject of an aggressive denial of service attack.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
eclipse_review.png

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

YAIIG8a.jpg

Time lapse photo taken by one of the people in the group I was with.
Technical notes about the picture from the photographer:
This is a composite image made up 19 exposures taken roughly 4 minutes apart.
· Partial Eclipse: 18x shots at f/2.8, 1/320s, ISO 100
· Total Eclipse and Foreground: 1x shot at f/2.8 ,1/10s, ISO 100

Blake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I pulled these photos off of my wife's cell phone. 10 seconds apart, they show the moon's shadow entering Teton Valley. In the bottom photo we still have a few seconds of sunlight remaining where we are.

attachment.php

Fix image link...I hope.

Attachments

• Shadow composite.jpg
    Shadow composite.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
orbiter says link invalid?

N.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Haha, must have been kind of cool, seeing all those metal-heads trying banging their heads without loosing their eclipse-glasses :p