OHM Uranus Rings

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: mr martian

always thought that Uranus' rings didnt look quite right, so i decided to fix them!! they are probably not 100% accurate, and the ringss provoded in the orbiter package are more realistic, but i think that these are more visually interesting (no offence to Martin Schweiger)..

i originally had in the description that these rings looked more realistic, but i decided to update it and say that they were more visually interesting, rather than accurate.

please leave feedback, tell me if u like it, and if not, tell me were i can improve :)

hope u like it!

DOWNLOAD

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
How accurate do you think this is?

Did you have a reference to create this?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How accurate do you think this is?

Did you have a reference to create this?

Seconded.

From most images, his rings seem much closer and compact:

Uranus_clouds.jpg

Fisherman

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. Everybody's probably look a little different. :rolleyes:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Well, he made a claim:
"now they look a lot more like real Uranus rings"

I'm wondering if he can back it up.

Mr Martian

Orbinaut/Addon dev/Donator
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Well, he made a claim:
"now they look a lot more like real Uranus rings"

I'm wondering if he can back it up.

you know what: i cant back it up!! :rofl: i like them, and i thought it would be selfish of me not to upload it. i have actually looked at more Uranus rings pics since i uploaded it, and you are right, mine are not that realistic, but i still like them! if u think it would be appropriate i could always change the description.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
They may be beautiful, but real was the claim that was made. Perhaps some clarification that this is an aesthetic improvement rather than a scientific accuracy improvement would be in order.

@Izack

check out the Wikipedia article:
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rings_of_Uranus"]Rings of Uranus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

There are rings mu and nu outside of the inner compact ring system, but these are very faint, so faint that they were not even noticed in Voyager 2 images until after they were recently discovered by Hubble.

I actually had thought that this add-on was trying to add these outer rings to look more "real," but the proportions didn't look quite right in the screenshot so I wasn't sure. To be fair, I haven't been able to make much sense out of the default rings either, and I think they may be a bit exaggerated. So in a sense this add-on may be right in depicting the rings thinner, even if not strictly accurate.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
@Izack

Rings of Uranus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are rings mu and nu outside of the inner compact ring system, but these are very faint, so faint that they were not even noticed in Voyager 2 images until after they were recently discovered by Hubble.

I actually had thought that this add-on was trying to add these outer rings to look more "real," but the proportions didn't look quite right in the screenshot so I wasn't sure. To be fair, I haven't been able to make much sense out of the default rings either, and I think they may be a bit exaggerated. So in a sense this add-on may be right in depicting the rings thinner, even if not strictly accurate.

Thanks. I knew there were additional rings, but as you and the article say, they don't correlate to those in this addon, which seems to have migrated rings ε and interior further from Uranus.

Mr Martian

Orbinaut/Addon dev/Donator
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
They may be beautiful, but real was the claim that was made. Perhaps some clarification that this is an aesthetic improvement rather than a scientific accuracy improvement would be in order.

@Izack

Rings of Uranus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thanks for the link, and i agree, i think it would be appropriate to change the description. most of my inspiration came from the interesting but flawed Journey to the Planets which is not on YouTube, due to copyright issues.

20 Litre

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I use
Code:
; === Ring Parameters ===
RingMinRadius = 1.201          ; inner radius of ring system
RingMaxRadius = 1.905          ; outer epsilon ring radius