Project Universal Car for Orbiter (UCO)

vejiita

Reaction score
Vejita, Isn't a Donations button somewhere for that matters?:hello:

On Dan's page you mean or the one for orbiterforums ? :)

I'm starting to come here more and more (after a few weeks not touching the damned stuff after my failing attempt to construct my own space station that caused a bug). So yeah, might donate to the forum too.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Vejita, Isn't a Donations button somewhere for that matters?:hello:

Well... not that I would sound intterested but I can only work on Orbiter so much time because I earn money from FsPassengers, and it's not that much believe me. So the donate button is cool if you want to support O-F but it's not the same pockets ;)

Anyway thanks for all those that bought FsP :thumbup:

NEWS
-------

Finalising the cars code, got the refuelling sound from Canadave, fuelling look really cool yet with the radio exchanges.

I needed a landspeeder to demonstrate that UCGO is not limited to cars: one can also design landspeeders, helicopters (that always stay at same altitude but some AI traffic bring life) or boats. (Well have designed a cool luxe Yacht that will be available in his pack)

The radar animation may be used for helicopters's rotor.

For landspeeder instead of loosing again 15 days of modeling I took one of my model the Frelon IX, I removed all exhausts, landing gear etc so you'll have a landspeeder with reactor sound (300km/h max)

As you can set a "lateral" grip parameters for cars, landspeeder and such can be set to "skid" a lot during turn.

UcgoPreviewtruck8.jpg

Dan

Dambuster

Reaction score
Man, this just keeps getting better and better!

Are the landspeeders going to have airbrakes to slow down, or will there be some exotic technology to allow them to do so?

Also, will UCGO vessels (e.g. the cars or your landspeeder) be compatible with SpaceCraft3?

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

[snip]
Code:
:aux anim 1
AuxAnim1GrNbr    =8            ; group for auxiliary anim (key 1 to toggle)
AuxAnim1Ref    = 0.0 2.0 3.2906        ; ref point of rotation (see Orbiter SDK doc)
AuxAnim1Axis    = 0 1 0            ; rotation axis (x y or z again see Orbiter doc)
AuxAnim1Angle    = -90            ; rotation angle in degree
AuxAnim1Speed    = 0.05            ; rotation speed
;aux anim 2
AuxAnim2GrNbr    =6            ; group for auxiliary anim (key 2 to toggle)
AuxAnim2Ref    = 0.0 2.0 3.2906        ; ref point of rotation (see Orbiter SDK doc)
AuxAnim2Axis    = 0 1 0            ; rotation axis (x y or z again see Orbiter doc)
AuxAnim2Angle    = -90            ; rotation angle in degree
AuxAnim2Speed    = 0.05            ; rotation speed

... ect etc for anim 3 and 4

Also, on a grammar-related note, it should be "rotation angle in degrees"

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow, nice. Maybe I'll try to build some ships, it would be a nice thing to transport cargo when Ascension Island gets a port...

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I needed a landspeeder to demonstrate that UCGO is not limited to cars: one can also design landspeeders, helicopters (that always stay at same altitude but some AI traffic bring life) or boats.

Oh man, speeder races around Wideawake. Would be awesome. WHAP! I sense additions to your WIN Upgrade Project. :lol:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
dan just make sure you dont put in to many features or else you may never get it released

I was discussing Landspeeder and boat with Picto at start of this project in 2008 (or 2007?) ;) In anyway it's not a big work.

Also, will UCGO vessels (e.g. the cars or your landspeeder) be compatible with SpaceCraft3?

Mhh no, I don't see what would add SC3 to cars ? Real flying AI or cars would be another addons.

Dambuster said:
Are the landspeeders going to have airbrakes to slow down, or will there be some exotic technology to allow them to do so?

Sound like the same technology than the one used to make them float in air. So no airbrakes. (but you have 4 user anim available if you want to make some manually triggered)

Wow, nice. Maybe I'll try to build some ships, it would be a nice thing to transport cargo when Ascension Island gets a port..

If you like Sim things you can make a whole AI transportation chain, from island to land with boat than truck to landing pad.

A factory that would spawn cargos is a piece of cake to make for anyone knowing a bit Orbiter coding (CreateVesselEx), the risk with a basic dll is only to be invaded with thousand cargos.

Dan

vejiita

Reaction score
I wonder Dan, am I allowed to ask a question (suggestion) about UMMU here or is it a totally separate thing ? :)

(of course it would be related to UCO and the interaction between UMMU and the vehicles/ships)

Last edited:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
UMMU will be provided also with UCGO and yes it interact with UCGO, so the question is relevant here.

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Dan,
This add-on looks to be so completely awesome it's hard to put into words. The creativity and effort put into this is unbelievable!!! Thank you so much for developing these great add-ons! :tiphat:

vejiita

Reaction score
Good, so I was wondering about something...

I was reading 2010 the other day, and it was at the point where they were going to try to go aboard the USS Odyssey. The ship was tumbling top over bottom like a giant windmill and they had to go to the center of the ship, grasp the ladder and move along the ship to the hatch.

You probably see where I'm doing with this but I started wondering about ladders/holding points on a ship. Would the UMMU be able to hold such holding points and move along defined path (a set of points, or a ladder). Would be usefull on motherships or other big things in space. After all, they would need repairs, cleaning and such sometimes no ? And I suppose being able to get on some vehicules to fetch tools and such... ok, I have a big imagination ;)

BTW I'm French speaking myself, so if you need precisions or clearer explication I'll be delighted to give you some :)

Last edited:

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
On Dan's page you mean or the one for orbiterforums ? :)

I'm starting to come here more and more (after a few weeks not touching the damned stuff after my failing attempt to construct my own space station that caused a bug). So yeah, might donate to the forum too.

I thought there was a Donate button in Dan's website...

------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if is it possible to make a car with UCGO that could fly like a regular plane too.

Last edited:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
If you make a landspeeder, it needs to be THE Landspeeder.

Was searching a copyright free model with low poly, didn't found one. so you'll only have my landspeeder :)

But UCGO is designed so peoples can add more cars, cargos or station, it's a piece of cake if you have a mesh.

Would the UMMU be able to hold such holding points and move along defined path (a set of points, or a ladder). Would be usefull on motherships or other big things in space. After all, they would need repairs, cleaning and such sometimes no ? And I suppose being able to get on some vehicules to fetch tools and such... ok, I have a big imagination ;)

Let me quote Sartre "L'enfer c'est les autres" (hell is other people) :lol:

It mean in this context that things very complex are possible in Orbiter as long as you design yourself everything and keep it closed. If you want an open system the complexity increase by a factor 100. What you want is a complete collision detection system OR a SDK that would be so complex that only a few (or no) authors would use it.

REPAIR KEY IN UMMU ?
----------------------

This make me think about something else: There is an "pack/unpack" command that UMMU send to cargo, UMMU 2.0 will still not include a "Repair" or "Action" command that could serve multiple purpose for vessel author. Open manually a door (2001 ;) ), repair a system etc etc.

As I see it it would be a callback that send a "Hey Vessel!, a ummu pressed the repair key and is at local position "x,y,z" near you". Charge for authors to intercept the "hey" and make the action they want depending of the position.

I must think about this, the idea is in the air since a long time but I don't know if any author is really interested.

Dan

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I am interested!!!

I am making a Satellite repair module and I need to deploy cargo, If it can be done within UMMU that would be excellent!!!

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I must think about this, the idea is in the air since a long time but I don't know if any author is really interested.

I have to concur, such a feature could have an infinite number of uses. I would suggest allowing for two keys to be pressed, however, if for no other reason than to give a choice and some flexibility when two actions might be possible within the same location to some 'action item' or some such thing.