Project Underwater spaceport?

_Designer_

Reaction score
that sounds cool, but the pontoons and weight of the spacecraft with the landing and velocity could knock it around left and right. that force itself could flip the pontoon landing strip over if the weight is too heavy as well as the velocity and angle you're flying at.

I was thinking too for the tunnel, like on aircraft carriers, the naval jets have a hook to catch the wire on the runway. Perhaps adding that in the tunnel to start lowering velocity would be effective.

Now making it into the tunnel should not be that hard I think (should we remove all the flaws), simply lower velocity (since it will be in low altitude, there will be little chance of stalling) be at a comfortable distance from the tunnel, align your angle and prepare to land.

and on some of these comments, you guys are sounding like I'm actually going to build it irl, lol.

theflyingfish

Falling with Style
Reaction score
What is the feasability/advantages of an underwater space bace compared to a conventional abovewater space bace? It appears to me that even without the massive extra cost/time associated with building/programming a complete spaceport underwater, the technical challenges of just landing make the project unfeasible. What possible advantages would an underwater spaceport have over an abovewater spaceport, besides secrecy? (And it wouldn't be secret anyway, because of the large amount of shipping required to transport the incredible amount of supplies necessary to run a spaceport to the middle of the ocean.)

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ಠ_ಠ

C'mon guys. KILL THE MEME! :chainsaw:

Oh, stop it. You're leading the thread off bace.
spray_trollface_copy.png

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
and on some of these comments, you guys are sounding like I'm actually going to build it irl, lol.

Welcome to Orbiter-Forum ! :lol:

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
What about a giant tailhook, like for an aircraft carrier, except it has propellers and a very advanced targeting system(very long with a winch, brake and rigid system, so you could lock the cable in place, swing the craft up, and then slowly let it down, but don't ask me about how to get this done). Just slow down and fly low in the general vicinity of the airport, and put the request in to ATC? Sounds most practical, from a technological perspective. If money is a concern, why are you launching rockets into space?

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, if underwater launches result in stuff like this, I'm all for it! :thumbup:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na0-nuGIzh8&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na0-nuGIzh8&feature=related[/ame]

Yamato... HASSHIN!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What about a giant tailhook, like for an aircraft carrier, except it has propellers and a very advanced targeting system(very long with a winch, brake and rigid system, so you could lock the cable in place, swing the craft up, and then slowly let it down, but don't ask me about how to get this done).
o_O Don't think that'll go over well with the FAA/CAA.

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
o_O Don't think that'll go over well with the FAA/CAA.

I said tailhook, I meant arrester cable(didn't know the name for either), except the arrester cable would have a hook and the propellor/targeting system I talked about.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I said tailhook, I meant arrester cable(didn't know the name for either), except the arrester cable would have a hook and the propellor/targeting system I talked about.
I'm probably misinterpreting this. In layman's terms would this be (essentially) a giant flying rope+hook to catch descending spacecraft? o_o

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
What about a giant tailhook, like for an aircraft carrier, except it has propellers and a very advanced targeting system(very long with a winch, brake and rigid system, so you could lock the cable in place, swing the craft up, and then slowly let it down, but don't ask me about how to get this done). Just slow down and fly low in the general vicinity of the airport, and put the request in to ATC? Sounds most practical, from a technological perspective. If money is a concern, why are you launching rockets into space?

So let me get this straight. Your going to catch the incoming ships with what is essentially a giant grappling hook. That sounds like more of a maintenance nightmare than my idea! Either that or you mean giant, mid-air arrestor cables, which I can tell you now will just cause more casualties...

Well, if underwater launches result in stuff like this, I'm all for it! :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na0-nuGIzh8&feature=related

Yamato... HASSHIN!

Ah, Space Battleship Yamato. Just remember that the Wave Motion Cannon is really just a glorified retro engine.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah, Space Battleship Yamato. Just remember that the Wave Motion Cannon is really just a glorified retro engine.
:rofl:
Reversal of that rule of space combat: The more powerful an engine is, the greater its potential as a weapon. The more powerful this weapon is, the greater its potential as an engine! (Except it looks like Yamato has some sort of inertia-controlling device anyway, so all reaction engines are beyond uselessness in that scenario. :p)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Do you mean a special type of AC (Aircraft Carrier) that can recover spacecraft that has the ability to glide?

No. I mean a version of the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttle_Training_Aircraft"]STA[/ame] for astronaunts to practice this insane 'landing'.

anyone wanna try a demo of this project? I started working and blender is hard to play with, lol

how are you going to handle the dowhill landing in orbiter?

Last edited: