Support UMmu & UCGO key assignments & behavior

hribek

Reaction score
These two addons really are great, don't get me wrong. But there are some things that could be improved, I think. Today I went to test the UMmu 2.0 demo scenarios on Orbiter 2010 (100606).

Right in the first scenario "UMmu SDK EVA demo", which features a ShuttlePB in Earth orbit with 4 people on board:

Pressing "M" in cockpit mode (for some reason this didn't happen in external view) will not tell you that the ship is full and you can't add a crew member - that's what I'd expect to happen ... but instead, one crewmember gets ejected vertically/upwards at 2 m/s.
This situation can be hard to recover from, especially if you press M accidentally and don't immediately realize you lost a crewmember.

"C" key changes mesh to a NASA MMU (I think), but pressing "C" again does not do anything and I didn't find a way to revert to normal UMmu EVA meshes.

About the key assignments in general:
UMmu and UCGO are addons. As such, I believe it would be nice not to override default Orbiter key assignments. This poses a problem some er... actually any vessel with UMmu or UCGO support.

"H" key is normally used for changing HUD mode
CTRL + H is normally used for turning HUD off.
UMmu/UCGO overrides both. This is troublesome when controlling a UMmu or the UCGO ISS. The UCGO ISS is missing a "normal" forward view in glass cockpit mode, which makes station orientation problematic.

"A" key is used for HOLD ALT autopilot by default. UMmu overrides it and uses it for opening/closing the airlock.

"S" key is used to show info about number of crew on board, but this assignment blocks user from using Shift+S for selecting the surface MFD.

The Arrow Freighter (for instance) uses Shift+C to jettison cargo. This is unfortunate, because by default Shift+C is used for selecting the COM/NAV MFD. So in doing that, you accidentally drop a cargo crate and the MFD doesn't activate.

(there might be more ...)

Is there a way to allow the user to change the key assignments? If not, would it be possible to avoid these conflicts? Somehow I don't think having to reassign Orbiter's keymap because of addons is the right way to go - shouldn't it be the other way around instead?

Last but not least, I think UMMu and UCGO could look better by fixing the assorted grammar or typing errors. I'd love to help out with that.

Last edited: