Project UCGO to XR series compatible cargos

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

I've managed to edit the config files of the UCGO cargos to make them compatible with the XR series. I've also added another docking port (invisible) to the Arrow to make it be "dockable" with something that looks like an orbiting shipyard:

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/dgatsoulis/XR5Payloadbay.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/dgatsoulis/ArrowdockedwithSpacedock.jpg

As you can see from the pics above, they still need a lot of work (the cargos to be correctly placed in the XR5's payload bay for instance) but they seem to be working ok.
(Both on Orbiter 2006 and the 2009 beta).

The XR5 Vanguard can now load UCGO cargos on all 36 slots, so with that and with the help of a DGIV or an XR2 Ravenstar (to use as the Arrow's docked lander), it is possible to fully load an orbiting Arrow, for a journey to Jupiter's moons in just one go.

I've also managed to make an unpackable MTKSSAT compatible with UCGO and the XR series.

(Thanks for making it so easy Dan, even a complete add-on developing noob, like me, can now do these things in Orbiter.)

I'm uploading the config files here, so that someone with better skills than mine, can turn them into a working add-on.

These do NOT replace the existing UCGO cargos, they are just added to the existing ones.

Unzipping these files in your Orbiter directory should place everything where it's supposed to go. (I've tested it on a "clean" Orbiter installation, WITH the UCGO, DGIV-2, XR series and the Hammerhead Spacedock installed in it).

I don't think i should receive any credit for this, all i did was to "mess around" a bit with the config files.

All credit should go to:
-Martins (of course) for creating this amazing simulator.
-Dansteph for his (in my opinion) unique and unrivalled contribution to the Orbiter "experience".
-dbeachy1 for creating my favourite series of ships to "Go and play in Space" with.
-Brian Burger, Kyle Weigers and Mike Leveille, for the "Hammerhead Spacedock" from which i got the idea of a "shipyard" for the Arrow Freighter.
-The developer that manages to turn these files into a working add-on.

P.S. I'm not allowed to post the config file for the Arrow that adds another docking port, here are the "specs" for a correctly placed 2nd docking port (one that allows docking with the "shipyard" - add in the Arrow's config file) :
; === Docking ports ===
BEGIN_DOCKLIST
0 0 200 0 0 1 0 1 0 540
END_DOCKLIST

Happy orbiting everyone!
:cheers:

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey dgatsoulis what space dock are you using,and where did you get it at? Thanks
Looks good by the way:cheers:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
P.S. I'm not allowed to post the config file for the Arrow that adds another docking port, here are the "specs" for a correctly placed 2nd docking port (one that allows docking with the "shipyard" - add in the Arrow's config file) :

First thanks for the kind word. You can copy/rename the config file of the Arrow and distribute this copy. License permit this.

ie: "2DockArrowFreighter.cfg"

Best

Dan

Space

Reaction score
Hey dgatsoulis! I was thinking about the same thing..

My idea was to create containers filled with UCGO cargos that could be spawned once the containers were unloaded in the moon.

But it seems it is not possible, I'm hoping DanSteph can give me an answer soon to this same question posted in another thread.

Wouldn't it be fun to ferry XR5's filled with cargos to the moon to feed a fleet of Arrows?

This spawn thing has given me several ideas.. Like for instance: Using empty containers to build habitable modules in the moon. If the spawn code can really spawn anything built like a vessel that should be easy: Just build a module with a container retrofitted to serve as an habitable space and spawn it from a XR5 container. Right?

You could even have buildings on the moon made of containers!:probe:

Buzz313th

Reaction score
I do believe you can already do all of that without any coding at all...

Take the mesh of the XR5 40 foot containers and apply them to an UCGOCar. Set the car up with no engine power and 0 for top speed. Arange the container car to unload and load the UCGO boxes in the container. Set up a animation opening the back or top of the container to see the cargoes. Set up the config file for the container car to be able to be laoded into the XR5... Take the cool blinkers and lights of the UCGO car and apply them somewhere that makes sense for the container...

Or better yet.... make the containers drivable. Like a big battery powered rover that only crawls at very slow pace. Then do the same as above.. Now you have a self propelled container that carries UCGO cargo and loads into the XR5...

LOL... Hell if you aint gonna do it, I mind as well..

Lemme know... I can have just a box ready to go to test the functionality...

JB

Interceptor

Reaction score
Great idea!Buzz313 I like it.Are you going to release this once done?Thanks

Last edited:

Buzz313th

Reaction score
Great idea!Buzz313 I like it.Are you going to release this once done?Thanks

I wouldn't mind doing it... But I don't wanna do double work. Is anyone else planning on doing it? Or something similar?

I believe it can also be tagged as a breathable area as well.... So, yes your empty containers could double as a temp base.

JB

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've already worked on it. I've attached my configs, use them if you want.

Attachments

• container.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 39

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey is there away to have the UCGO forklift and flatbed truck,be able to load,and unload the Xr5 cargo,has anybody gotten this to work?

Smegghed

Reaction score
So these are too big to fit in the XR2 payload bay? Is it only possible to use these in the XR5?

Messierhunter

Reaction score
As is, yes they are. I simply changed the size defined in dgatsoulis' files so that they would fit. The meshes certainly look like they fit in an XR2 bay, but then again I only carried one at a time; I can't guarantee that inserting one into both slots wouldn't cause the package meshes to overlap.

Smegghed

Reaction score
That's a good idea. I'll try it and see how it works out. Thanks!

Ok, so I tried it, and added a probe container in slots 2 and 3. The probe in slot 3 overlapped into the mesh in the back of the cargo bay. But then I noticed that it's placing the containers on their sides, with the "This side up" arrow facing forward toward the front of the XR2. Is there anyone to flips those over? I thought maybe it would be in the attachments, but to be honest with you, I've never really messed around with changing those before. Any ideas? Thanks again for the suggestion!

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Hey is there away to have the UCGO forklift and flatbed truck,be able to load,and unload the Xr5 cargo,has anybody gotten this to work?

Nope, all you can do is C to load and Shift-C to unload. It's covered in the UCGO docs.