tileedit updates

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Small update:

New layer type "Elevation_mod" to display elevation modifications only.
Some more colourbar eyecandy.

Download link in first post of this thread.

picture.php

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Next update:

Surface tiles can now be imported from a PNG file. To some extent this replicates the functionality of the plsplit64 tool, but while plsplit64 is intended for bulk generation of global tilesets, the tileedit import function is more interesting for local edits, e.g. surface bases. I have added a few functions that may be useful for this:

• imported patches can be propagated down to lower resolution levels
  • The alpha channel of the PNG file can be used to blend the imported patch with the background of the existing tileset
  • There are two colour-matching options (cumulative histogram and hue/saturation) to match the imported patch better to the colour balance of the existing tileset.

Download link is in the first post of the thread.
As usual, let me know if you run into any problems or if you have further suggestions.

Also, if anybody is interested to take on further development of this tool let me know. It's fun for me, but it is taking up quite a bit of time, and I have a nagging feeling that I should get back to development of Orbiter proper. :)

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah the Developer/User ratio has shifted toward the User lately.

...but that is to be expected from a quality product :thumbup:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I'm more than interested in this!

Tried the PNG surface tile import but got corrupted tiles.
I was trying to import the Apollo 11 site. My PNG was 512x512 and I was using res17, latindex 4064, lonindex 9260.

I get corrupted .dds bellow level 10:
http://images2.imagebam.com/49/a9/39/9bf7551281090914.png

On import I didn't select propagation.

Here's the PNG I'm trying to import:
http://images2.imagebam.com/a8/38/4c/98db791281090944.png

I'm just guessing. Should I export the elevation also and use the .hdr file from there?
How do the tile ranges work on surface import ?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Work in progress :lol:

I think I spotted the problem that causes the propagation to ancestors even if not selected. I'll try to fix that asap.

Even so it's worrying that the ancestor got corrupted. To try and pinpoint the problem: Is there a gap in the quadtree between the L17 tile you are trying to insert and the rest of the quadtree? (I.e. do all the L16, L15, etc. ancestors of that new L17 tile exist, or are some of them missing?)

You don't need to export the elevation data. The header file is optional - you can provide the information also directly in the dialog.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
No ancestors. I was just going for a small area around the Apollo 11 landing site.
But I kind of guessed that it might be a problem, that's why I mentioned export.

For elevation the tool generate the higher level tiles as needed. At least I can export L17 elevation tiles with valid data. I guess that it generates the missing levels on export, preventing any errors on import. Perhaps the same approach for surface ? :)

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
No ancestors. I was just going for a small area around the Apollo 11 landing site.
But I kind of guessed that it might be a problem, that's why I mentioned export.

For elevation the tool generate the higher level tiles as needed. At least I can export L17 elevation tiles with valid data. I guess that it generates the missing levels on export, preventing any errors on import. Perhaps the same approach for surface ? :)

I've uploaded a new version that addresses this issue. Can you try if it fixes the problem for you?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Yes, it works perfectly!
Many thanks!

Now I need to find a NASA server that allows you to input corner coordinates ;)

(sorry for the late reply, I'm having trouble to login to the forum)

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Found a way to export surface tiles ;)
Simply print screen the TileEdit window! Then it's just a matter of scaling up, overlaying a better surface image and importing at the right level.

A test of some L15 high-res tiles of the Jezero crater delta.
7d1c7d1313200745.png

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
I'm trying to flatten local areas to place landed meshes and I have some problems.

a) I can see the edited terrain in Orbiter when I zoom out, but when I zoom in it reverts to the original. I'm importing level 10 terrain from a PNG. I've checked and I have generated elev_mods down to level 10.

b) If I try to edit terrain directly on TileEdit it shows and generates elev_mods. But in Orbiter I don't see any change, even zooming out.

c) TileEdit started crashing when I go past level 10 terrain. That is, instead of generating a level 11 (or higher) tile, it crashes.

I'm sure most of this is just bad usage, but I'd welcome some advice or some tests to help sort the problem.

astrogull

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this thread and reading about the new tiledit. Pritty impressive.
Now I have been working on new version of ElvTileSplitter for sometime now, but looking at the screenshots here it looks like my program is almost obsolete. Nevertheless I send here a demo version, because there are some features which could be added to tiledit, if they are not already. Particularly Analyse Maps under tab Compose Map. See the video in Doc\Videos. Use VLC Media Player, to select chapters under tab Playback, Chapter.

Due to filesize restrictions the magickdotnet.dll (12 MB) is missing in the shipped demo zip file. you can get it at OH, Elv Tile Splitter at https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=293ea3ca-7046-4af4-95d1-a07a2eaf4008
Download this zip file and extract Magick.NET-Q16-AnyCPU.dll to the same folder as ElvTileSplitterdemo.exe. (demo texconv.exe needs Visual C++ 2017 redistr.package)

Run ElvTileSplitterdemo.exe, set Orbiter Folder to orbiter2016 root, set Planet to Earth, Archive Selector to Archive only. Press Reset
If needed read page 18 of the pdf manual. Case Mars will give an overal view of the features of ElvTileSplitter, but there is also demo video for this which I can send on request.

I am also thinking of making archives directly from large maps, thereby avoiding spliting them in tiles first. Below level 9 this is hardly necessary thanks to texpack, but level 10 has 8192 tiles(1 to 6 GB). Level 11 and above will generate huge archives, but it could be that someone has 64x64 tiles map at say level 17 to add to a moderate sized archive. Something like cache first, then maps, then orbiter archive? Expanding this thought to several maps at each level, each with different size will be a problem though. Cumbersome to program and downgrading performance in the generation of the archive.

By the way, maybe superfluous, but texpack cannot process 0-nodes correctly.

At 7-7-20 Elv Tile Splitter V2 is published in OH: https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddo...f-46edb99a5405 so the 2-nd paragraph can be skipped, no downloading of magickdotnet.dll necessary. All the videos are there.

Attachments

• ElvTileSplitterdemo.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

astrogull

Reaction score
Last edited: