the two colours of the moon...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was wondering lately... When watching shots of the the moon or hanging around it in Orbiter, there seem to be two colours predominant on the surface: One dark, a bit greenish gray, and one light gray. The dark colour seems to be dominant on lower places, while lighter seems to be dominant in most other regions.

Why is that? I thought the whole surface is covered by dust anyways.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
I was wondering lately... When watching shots of the the moon or hanging around it in Orbiter, there seem to be two colours predominant on the surface: One dark, a bit greenish gray, and one light gray. The dark colour seems to be dominant on lower places, while lighter seems to be dominant in most other regions.

Why is that? I thought the whole surface is covered by dust anyways.

Please read about Lunar maria. The difference in colour is caused by different rock composition.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
The moon is actually quite colorful, just very subtle. Different minerals on the moon cast slightly different colors, so when you drastically (but carefully) increase the saturation of a lunar image's color data you can actually see the different compositions of different areas. Here's an example taken by another amateur astronomer:
http://www.lpod.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/ColorMoonLPOD.jpg

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Astronauts reported many diferent colors, including some orange soil. To this day Apollo crews still argue about the "true" color of the moon. Different lighting conditions and surrounding materials make for different perception of colors.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's moments like these I realize that we only have grayscale pictures of the surface up close... We GOT to send some people up again, and if it's only for taking some nice, high-res color-pics! :mad:

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
It's moments like these I realize that we only have grayscale pictures of the surface up close... We GOT to send some people up again, and if it's only for taking some nice, high-res color-pics! :mad:
Seconded, the next manned mission needs to either have an IMAX camera or a HD film industry quality camera. In fact, take a few of each.

Agra Barecasco

Skyswimmer
Reaction score
meteorites

If the moon is colorful because of the materials on it's surface, it's quite possible since the moon itself has been bombarded by so many kinds of meteorite, pouring moon surface by their material..