The Cruiser as a foster parent?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Some of you guys may have seen in the random comments thread that the Cruiser family might be taking on a little girl as a foster kid (and probably later adoption). I figure instead of dropping my thought in the world of randomness I'd try to keep them tidy and in one place.

Anyway, I got a call today from a lady with child services, she'll be coming by Monday (27th) for a home visit, so the Mrs, Miss and I will be frantically cleaning the house for it to be presentable. It's not bad now, but we do have some clutter. Not child-proof (or child-resistant rather) at the moment.

She said that I need to be prepared for this to be long term, saying that this might be "forever"; which didn't phase me in the least. I think I'd mentioned that we wanted to yank her out of that environment years ago anyway but couldn't. If it looks like "forever" we'll certainly adopt. She'd also mentioned that we are not the only ones to petition for her. She has a grandmother (who's never had anything to do with her so far) and a Great Aunt (who according to my wife only did it to block the grandmother), my wife's sister (who is withdrawing in favor of us). According to my wife (hearsay) the Great Aunt is actually in favor of us getting custody.

My wife thinks she might know the child services woman, I guess we'll find out if they went to school together soon. In the meantime, back to cleaning. I should actually be sleeping, I still have work tonight. But my mind is too busy to allow for sleep.

In other news. The Jr. Cruiser (also to be know as Miss Cruiser) will turn 21 tomorrow. We as parents must have done at least something right. She made it to 21 without being a drugged up, pregnant alcoholic. And she's graduating a semester early.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
"Child-resistant."

Reminds me of a line I use in A&P training so often, even the teacher has picked up on it... I'm sure you've heard it before, but here goes:
"Nothing is idiot proof. Nature will always make a better idiot."

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, we had our "home visit" from child services this morning. Basically a big sit-down and answer a whole ton of questions. All designed to see how well the Mrs. and I could take care of little Brooklyn. This was followed by a short walk-through of the house, mainly to make sure that it wasn't falling apart and that the prospective new kiddo actually would have a place to live.

I think it went pretty well, she said she had no concerns. She's still got to interview Brooklyn's Grandmother (who has only seen her once in four years). Court has been pushed back to the 14th. And if we get her, we'll get her that day and child services will close the case on her.

She again mentioned that we might have her "forever" which doesn't bother the wifey or me in the least. About the only thing that does concern me is that the ultimate call is up to the Judge. He may give custody over to whoever he/she wants. I think I've got the best environment, we've know the girl for years, but in the end it's up the the dude (or dudette) in the black robe.

I'll find out soon enough.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
How did it go?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
After much delays, we finally had the hearing. After talking with the other family, it's readily apparent to both of us that we were being used by the mom. She'd been playing both end towards the middle and it may cost her.

We were told that the other family never wanted anything to do with little Brooklyn, this isn't the case. Valerie (the mom) refused to allow them any contact. Knowing that if they found out about her drug use, they do what needed to be done. My thoughts are, when she faced with aggravated child abuse, she started saying whatever she could to save her skin.

The Judge did rule in favor of the relatives. And in hindsight I would have agreed. After the hearing we all met up in the hallway and all of us gave the mom the "look" and she slunk out the door with her d-bag husband. Plenty of feels all around, and the clear winner here is the little girl.

We did get liberal visitation, my in-laws have a pool that Brooklyn has been asking about since December. Now that it's open for business, it's play time.