Tell us about yourself!

Wayland

Reaction score
New guy in the orbit

Greetings all. I've been lurking here for a month, so it's about time for me to introduce myself. My names is Steve and I'm a retiree who watched John Glenn blast off live, in a Mercury capsule no less. A lifelong fan of SF and other speculative type fiction, history, scale modeling and gaming, I was thrilled to find Orbiter and immediately (well, almost immediately) downloaded it. I've done flightsimming clear back to FS5 but Orbiter is by far the most challenging (that means fun). My programming skills are next to non-existent, but if I can supply any kind of assistance, just let me know, I'm a fair researcher and an awful pilot.

144sim

Reaction score
Interesting stuff, and the wide range of ages.

Late forties myself, and have been interested in flight sims since the bbc micro computer had one. I think I still have it and the computer in my loft!

Have built three flight sims so far, none for me, and the forth one will be a space sim, built inside a friend's house, who is a star wars fan. The sim will be on the lines of a mult crew star wars ship, he's not decided on which yet, but I have enough hardware to make a start. ( Actual aircraft parts that will be repainted and modified to suit. Should keep me busy fof the next 18 months in my spare time).

I'll post some pictures when I start "cutting metal" and send in progress reports as it is constructed....

Pale Blue Dot

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I used to play a lot of video games but as I've gotten older (26) it just doesn't hold my interest anymore. I've found that simulators are just about the only "game" that can keep me occupied and interested. I still play FS2004 doing bush flying around Alaska in my Maule using the Glacier Bay scenery.

I also love learning and progressing and the learning curve of Orbiter is so steep I know it will keep me occupied for a long time! I've always loved spaceflight and space ever since I visited the Johnson Space Center when I was a kid and saw the Meteor Crater in Arizona.

Right now it's hard to find the time for Orbiter because I'm working full time in IT and also taking 12 hrs of college classes so I'm really, really busy. But I have time to fly missions here and there and I'm having a blast with it.

Allready62

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. Have been a space "fanatic" since watching Sputnik 1 orbiting overhead in 1957 until now, I'm glad to say I finally ran across Orbiter. (I can't believe I only recently found it, but better late then never). I have only begun to explore the program and I am looking forward to learning how to "fly in space."

rjcroy

Reaction score
Hi everyone :) I haven't visited this forum for about 9 years! Man, how time flies! But I am glad so see that this is still a busy forum, and that Orbiter is still popular. I am glad that an addon MFD I wrote in 2003 is still proving useful :) (Soyuz Guidance MFD & STS Guidance MFD)

I have been inspired by the progress of SpaceX with their Falcon 9 and Dragon spacecraft, and it has brought my attention back to spaceflight.

gretsch

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just signed up today. Novice star watcher, been into all things space since i was 13. Unfortunately i never did well at school so only now, at the age of 28, am i studying an introduction to science course.
I really like the history of space flight, pre STS. not very good on STS missions.
My NASA hero would have to be Gene Kranz.

I look forward to learning alot from these forums.

:)

James

Definity1

Reaction score
Signed up in the forum today. I've been enjoying Orbiter since 2008. I playing around with flight simulators with a Timex-Sinclair ZX81. Then on to MSFS on Commodore. Spent many hours with the Lear on MSFS 5.0 and 5.1.

I got hooked on all things space race with John Glenn's flight. I built the models, read the books, watched all the Gemini coverage on TV. My prized possession was my GI Joe Mercury Capsule! For the Apollo XI moon landing, all my friends were at my house- we all had our model CSM's and LM's on the floor in front of us.

I've gone through all the MSFS versions, but Orbiter is simply a better kind of fun for this Astro Buff. Being able to fly Gemini and Apollo simulations is like a dream come true. It also puts in extreme focus the tremendous amount of skill and can- do spirit the NASA crew, from designers, to manufacturers, to mission control, to the astronauts displayed. It's indeed INCREDIBLE that NASA was able to achieve lunar landings with mostly newly created technology in less than ten years after President Kennedy's great speech.

Yes, Orbiter is an amazing simulator.

Chunkboi

Reaction score
Not much to say. I'm a med student about to graduate, I got into Orbiter after I got bored with the limited activities in the "Moonbase Alpha" game. I got a Logitech G13 for analog control, and got hooked. I do a "Minds" style machinima series called Kane's Mind.

Apollo 202

Reaction score
Hello Space Fans!

Hello from Montreal, space fans!

As my handle shows, I'm of an age where I can actually remember seeing the Apollo 11 landing live on TV. After a hiatus of a few decades, I realized that space flight still thrilled me, and so I'm very happy to have found this forum.

I'm also an amateur astronomer with telescopes of various types and sizes (but I still haven't "caught" the ISS going by!).

I have a few techno-geeky questions to ask, but as in all forae, I'll wait until I've "cleared the (mod) tower!".

Hoping to rendez-vous in orbit with you all soon!

A202

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
New Orbiter 2010 user signing in

Hello,

My name is Joe Schmalhofer.

A little about me:
I have a BS in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Cincinnati, MS in Mechanical Systems Engineering from Wright State University, and 3 years towards a Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Tennessee Space Institute. My major areas of study were Computational Fluid Dynamics and Numerical and Experimental Heat Transfer Analysis with a minor in Spacecraft Design. I participated in 3 winning entries in the AIAA Spacecraft Design contest on design teams of 3-10 people while working on my Ph.D attempt.

Since leaving college I've done 17+ years of logistics and human resources software development. IE I haven't used any of my Rocket Science studies since I left college.

I always wanted to be an astronaut when I 'grew up' and now Orbiter 2010 seems to be about as close as I'm ever going to get to my dream. I look forward to many enjoyable hours flying the various ships... now if I could just figure out how to line up on a runway....

yankeeman1028

Reaction score
Im dan from st. augustine florida. Ive loved spaceflight since we studied it in school in 8th grade. I am 15 and going into my sophmore year of high school. Ive always loved flying and want to be a pilot when im older. I found out about orbiter last summer but it took me a while to learn how to rendezvous and dock. im getting ther with reentry though. if you can call crash landing in central africa getting there ha!

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello Folks, been into Orbiter for about 2 weeks now and loving it. Think it is going to eat so deep into my spare time. Have used FS2004 and FSX in the past but this has so much more to offer!!! A huge hats off to all you add on writers

thedopefishlives

Reaction score
Hi all. My name is Noah, I currently live in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, I've been an on-again-off-again space geek since the age when it was cool to want to be an astronaut. I used to rock the original Microsoft Space Simulator and even worked on calculating my own orbits. I found Orbiter a week ago and instantly geeked out, and I've been playing with it nonstop ever since. My actual profession is in computer programming, but I fancy myself an amateur astronomer and enjoy the clear cold nights of the northlands to putter around with my cheap telescope in the back yard. I think spaceflight and astronomy fascinate me because they, like my chosen profession, are heavily mathematical fields that taunt me with their difficult but rewarding problems. I am a bit young to have experienced most of the landmark milestones in spaceflight history, clocking in at a measly 27 years, but I'm fascinated by the Apollo program and by the late lamented Space Shuttle system. I also have some more hands-on experience, having joined up with some EE's and physics majors in college to build a nano-satellite for our university. Unfortunately, it did not get a launch berth, but it was fun while it lasted.

stanfitz

Reaction score
MS Flight going under

Looks like Microsoft Flight is being discontinued, so I wanted to find something new to occupy my time.

Looks like it will be Orbiter.

Hope I can figure things out. Looks very complex.

Some people put a lot of work into Orbiter, and thanks to all that had anything to do with it.

Stan Fitzgerald
Reno, Nevada

edjohnbus

Reaction score
Hello and greetings from Michigan. I must admit, one of the most amazing things I like about Orbiter is the number of people from all the countries around the world who play it.

I also like that people actually reply when you ask a question...it's amazing that customer support for this game is better than what you get from your local bank it seems.

I hope everyone has a lovely summer.

Edward
Michigan

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi !
So I'm Nathan, from Toulouse in France. I like airplanes, Airbus, the A380. I like Orbiter, the XR2, the DGIV, the new Arrow Freighter, and Shuttle Fleet (the both ! :lol: )
I like swim, make programs in Visual Basic, use Blender to render Orbiter meshes, and play on my PS3.

edjohnbus

Reaction score
France won a gold in the men's 4x400 swim relay...Congrats!

tmstechteach

Reaction score
Greetings Earthlings:

Greetings Earthlings:
Since I just fill out my profile I just do not feel like entering that same information again. It would make me feel like I was redundantly repeating myself over and over again.

Orbiter has been used in my classroom off and on for many years. With new computers this year and now using a new version of orbiter and network issues:facepalm:, I have come to look for help.

See you in the Forums.