Tell us about yourself!

laminator

Reaction score
Hello fellow Orbinauts :)

My name is Thomas, I´m 45 years old and live in Salzburg, Austria.

As a kid of the 60´ies I allways was fascinated by the adventures that are awaiting us in the vastmess of space. And in 2003 I found by accident this marvelous piece of software. Since then, it allways had a place on my harddrive.

I allways read the forums but never got registered. Now I want to get a bit deeper into Orbiter stuff and Addon-developement, so I think it´s time to become a member of the community.

Thanks to Martin Schweiger for countless hours of pure joy and excitement, and to all that contributed their precious time to improve our Orbiter Experiance;)

greets
Thomas

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Glad to see I'm not the only High Schooler here.
My Name's Kyle I'm from Hillsborough County Florida. Im a Sophomore in High School (well, I just finished my freshman year up with a 3.5 GPA) and talented at obviously science :) and I used to suck at math until I started playing orbiter. I'm from a military family and with hopes to join the US Navy and become a Pilot.

I just recently moved there! What high school? I'm going to Middleton as a sophmore this year.

Aneirin

Reaction score
I used to play Orbiter quite a while in the old days, and I'm thinking of picking it up again. I visited the site, but there hasn't been an update since 2006 (is the 2006 the final version?). I wanted to check out what's new around, though, so I joined this forum, which might offer a lot interesting stuff. :)

I'm 26, am an engineer in applied physics and I live in Ghent, Belgium. Space is wickedly cool. :')

DaliSadhana

Reaction score
Greetings from a new user

Hello Orbiter fans.:)

I am Dali Sadhana. I used to be a software engineer up until ~12 years ago when my brain broke. Now I am retired, disabled, and shooting a lot of pictures and writing (I have to stick to hobbies that cost almost nothing as I am on a limited, fixed income).

I have played in Orbiter a few times in the last few years, for several months at a time. I am good enough on my own to complete all the missions that come with the Delta Glider IV. I welcome help in interplanetary navigation. I used to use the IMFD a lot, but it has been a year or so and I have forgotten much. I think that I never really understood it, I just knew how to get close enough that I could adjust with mid-course corrections.

I am writing a "book" (for about ten years now) with the working title of "Sam's World." This "book" starts around 2033 and is about the first manned asteroid mining mission. I intend to be accurate (though not precise) regarding orbital and navigation details. My primary reason for learning Orbiter is to be capable of writing in this realm while retaining credibility with detail minded readers.

<SF rant>
Much of the "Science Fiction" that I am exposed to uses physics that are counter to our modern understanding and have technologies that seem to exist just so that the protagonist can discover that "if they can just reverse the polarity of the..." that they can solve their dilemma {story jargon-"Deus Ex Machina"}. While I have great respect for these genres (Space Opera -{Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly} Astounding Artifact -{Ringworld, 2001|2010|2051|3001}) I do not want to write in them. I much prefer when I can enjoy a story without the mental double-takes from being presented with something flatly impossible. I prefer to write in "Hard Science Fiction" or my preferred term "Scientific Speculative Fiction." My book(s) should inspire future engineers, not just be entertaining to the layperson.
</SF rant>

As spaceflight is extremely risk-averse, technologies are about 20 years old before they are used in space hardware (with notable exceptions). Therefore, in my book I will only use technologies for which we already have laboratory examples today. All the physics must be accurate (though not necessarily precise). All the engineering must be practical and plausible. (I have several more "books" planned in the series, with progressively loosening requirements.)

When I say "book" I don't mean a paper thing with linear prose. I mean a series of audio podcasts (~18 episodes) for the main dramatic thread and a series of referenced web pages with all the details that spaceflight fans would like to have.

My general request; Please contact me publicly or privately if you:
* Are available to teach an old dog some new MFDs.
* Might want to collaborate in supporting character development (maybe even perform a voice).
* Might want to collaborate on engineering details of spacecraft appropriate for a mining mission.
* Might be available for fact checking of scientific/technical details.
* Might help me make/find a ship with the performance characteristics of Sam's flotilla of electric continuous low thrust tugs with payloads.

Dali.

Spider

Reaction score
Hi

I am Spider from Viet nam. I am in a club here caller SkyPlay.
My friends and I all get together and play Orbiter. I have been elected Officer. This intells membership of your forum and being council to the club. I am 27. We have over 100 members in our club. We have designers, creators and testers. We do all our own addons. We just use Orbiter as a base. We have all talked about the release of the vast amounts of addon for Orbiter we have done. Its going up for vote soon.

Daub

Reaction score
Meets and Greets

Hi,

My 1st post, here.

This past week I discovered Orbiter and eventually got it downloaded. I did it solo. It took some thinking to do it. What worked for me was the automatic installer download I found somewhere. I have it all bookmarked for reference.

Stopped by this forum today just to read the bulletin board. Working out a couple bugs I've encountered. This old Dell is probably why. Think I'll add another gig of ram.

Joined up to this forum to get any perks by being a member. I usually just read the boards. I figure most problems encountered with the program most likely have already occurred. No sense posting dumb questions. Hope your search engine is a good one.

Not sure if posting a reference url is allowed, so I'll just say there is a guy with a website that caters to flight sims. I found Orbiter thru him. I've been with the WWII online prop arena that hales from Texas, advertised on Military Channel, for 3 years. Found the online prop war also thru this guy. I need a new challenge.

It has been almost 40 years since I had physics; looks like I will need a refresher!

Daub
:hello:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Not sure if posting a reference url is allowed, so I'll just say there is a guy with a website that caters to flight sims.
Welcome to the forum, Daub. Posting a reference url is fine.

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Welcome everyone!

Not much to say from my end other than I got 'introduced' to the community by my husband (garyw) and have to admit you are mostly great folks.

I organise some quizzes on the #orbiter irc channel, which seems to be quite a bit of fun...well for those who are around, as you can imagine the time zones make for interesting scheduling. Come chat with us sometime in #orbiter: http://www.orbithangar.com/orbiterirc.php

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Not much to say from my end other than I got 'introduced' to the community by my husband (garyw) and have to admit you are mostly great folks.
Well, thanks for giving us the new mod :tiphat:

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I didn't get any say in it! Cheeky orbinauts stealing all my gary's spare time....

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Actually, I suppose I should be good and say something in here as well.... erm.. well, my mind tends to go blank with these things but I found Orbiter about three years ago and used it for 2 weeks before deleting it as being rubbish because I didn't understand it (nor did I read the manual!).

However, a few weeks later I went back to it and read the manual, started to experiment and got the hang of it. I also brushed up on my orbital mechanics are really started to get into it and then I found the old M6 forums and through M6 found Orbiter-forum. through IRC I've made some great friends in people like TL8, Tex, TSPenguin, Agentgonzo and so on. Then I met Krys and had to get her addicted as well..... :cheers:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
through IRC I've made some great friends in people like TL8, Tex, TSPenguin, Agentgonzo and so on.

Hey, what about me? :p

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Gary that was awfully soppy. I think "Modship" has made you weak!

*runs and hides*

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
It is an obscure version of Deltaglider with Probe representants has passengers which is only available to Moderators and Administrators of O-F.
It features advanced brain-machine environment controls so it might get newer moderators lazier.

Lunchbox

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm Ian from Atlanta, USA. Age 17 and currently a junior in high school. Looking to apply to Georgia Tech or Auburn and study aerospace engineering (if anyone has suggestions/recommendations/tips, do send me a message).

I've been into sims since I was young, and have been orbiting for 3 years. I discovered it and just playing about with the Space Shuttle in LEO was enough for me. After a week or so I almost put the sim away until one of my friends, who is also on the site invited me over and showed me truly how to get the most out of one of the finest simulators ever created.

Ive been fascinated with flying things since...well, forever. With this sim, I can watch a bit of NasaTV, and then fly the mission myself. From my computer. Incredible!

Kveldulf

Reaction score
What to say about myself?

Well, my name is Alex, I'm 21, and have lived in the Chicago area for almost all of my life (spent a year in central Illinois). I'm currently finishing up a 2 year degree in Computer Forensics, and I plan to move on to a 4 year university, and major in... well, I'm not sure yet, Computer Forensics programs are pretty sparse. Hope to make it into the FBI one day, even if its just as a lab tech.

It may come as a surprise, but I'm not as interested in spaceflight as everyone else here. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I just have more fun messing around in Orbiter then I do reading about NASA's current plans.

I first found Orbiter in 2006, right as Flight Sim X came out. I remember starting it thinking "cool, something new and complicated to mess with". I could only get into orbit for a few months, until I printed out the Moon tutorial from Go Play in Space, and made my first trip anywhere. Shortly after, I picked up IMFD, and quickly learned how to go to Mars using tutorials.

Flash forward to... jeez, December 2007 I think, and I had a lightbulb appear over my head. With that, I made a trip to Venus, and was quickly able to apply the concepts to flights anywhere. After much more work, I forced myself to learn rendezvous, docking, re-entry, and landing, the last two still giving me issues on occasion (damn v/s).