Technology And Research Space Station - Mission 1

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
After playing Orbiter for a while I've decided It's time for me to start building my first space station. Dubbed the TARSS (Technology And Research Space Station) when completed it will be able to sustain a crew of 8 for 3 month without resupply.

The first mission launched the Primary Node, which the rest of the station will be built around, three modules, one crew hab module and two with science equipment and a Cupola that can be used to observe Earth from the station.

Mission 1 specifications.
Vehicle: XR5 with URMS
Launch from: Wideawake International
Target orbit: 300km x 300 km

picture.php

Stage 1 modules on XR5 cargo bay, URMS visible.

picture.php

XR5 launch and climb into orbit.

picture.php

Capture and hard dock of primary node.

picture.php

Stage 1 assembled and in orbit of 324km x 324km.
Mission Outcome
Partial failure
Although the station was successfully assembled in orbit it overshot its target orbit of 300km x 300km. The crew were killed when the XR5's life support system shut down, further investigation revealed that a pilot error was to blame, the pilot did not open the radiators while in orbit causing the electronics on the XR5 to overheat, shutting down the life support and killing the crew shortly before reentry.

Success 0
Partial failure 1
Failure 0

Casualty Pool
1 XR 5
2 Crew

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Checklists...... Always, always checklists!

nice station otherwise.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Sure... Checklists... I had checklists... I just... didn't want to post them... yeah thats it didn't want to post them. In all seriousness though I'll start making checklist for the rest of the missions.

Darren

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Also let there be a moment of silence for that unfortunately gone co-pilot and unfortunately stupid pilot.

Darren

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
Partial success? A total LoCV seems like it kinda tips the scales towards failure :p

But really though, congrats. I remember putting together my first station, and it's a ton of fun. Just gotta remember to open those radiators! :thumbup:

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Yay! You mean you will actually allow me to enter the sacred radiator victims club? *faint* There's two things I just can't do in Orbiter. Rendevouz and dock with anything in orbit and Reenter at the right time so I actually land somewhere other than the ocean, let alone a runway. :lol:

Darren

Edit: I'm probably going to do a few successful rendevouz and docking before I move onto stage 2. It shouldn't be too hard because I cheated and launched straight from the runway, so as long as I get the orbit right I shouldn't have too much trouble.

Last edited: