Question Technical question about planet.cfg files

Iberville

Reaction score
I have a technical question for people who understand how files work in Orbiter better than me.

-I just downloaded Mars L11 on http://downloadorbitersim.com/. ON opening the zip files, I put everything on the textures2 folders and I assumed that I also had to be sure that the MaxpatchResolution = 11 in mars.cfg (that what I was doing with texture files with Orbiter 2006 because people were actually putting readme files and installation instructions!). It works fine and the view is amazing!

-I also downloaded Phobos and deimos L5 on the same page. I unziped the files in the orbiter general folder and they ended up in the texture2 folder also. I changed the deimos.cfg and phobos.cfg to maxpatchresolution = 5 but instead of the two moons, I had two giant white balls in the sky!

-I put the back to = 0 and it seems to work fine now, with a good view.

Why is that? The mars files were .bin, .text and tile while the two moos were just .text.

Did I put them in the correct places? Because they are no instructions in the download foler.

Thank you for your time guys!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You have to put them in the Textures folder. They will replace the previous textures.

The thing is, Phobos and Deimos have meshes. In other words, the normal Orbiter 'surface' where other planets have textures is supposed to be invisible. The reason you got a white sphere is that it is untextured. Put Phobos.dds and Deimos.dds (notice they don't use the normal .tex format) in Textures (not Textures 2) and keep maxpatchresolution = 0 and it should work fine.