Project Talon1's Orbital Cannons (Outdated)

Talon1

Semi-Intermediate Add-on Dev.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi there! For the people that want to have some fun and destruction in orbiter, I've decided to make some Orbital Cannons, some destructive, and some that are non-destructive. Anyway, here are the three Orbital Cannons I'm planing to make and their development status:

• Orbital Ion Cannon: Almost done (still needs to be made DGIV compatible), will have a light blue, glowing beam, will not be destructive, mainly designed for people who don't want orbiter turning into a space shooter;)
  • Orbital Positron Cannon: In progress, will look like the Orbital Ion Cannon, will be destructive, will have a light blue beam with some red in the center, mainly designed for people who want orbiter turning into a space shooter (just like me:lol:)
  • Genesis: The mother of all Orbital Cannons, will be huge and destructive, mainly designed for people who want orbiter turning into a space shooter (just like me:lol:) and for people who like going power mad;)
Okay, those are my planed Orbital Cannons, now for the things I currently need help with:

• Make the Orbital Ion Cannon DGIV compatible
  • Making a DLL that will let the Orbital Positron Cannon be destructive (one way I know how to do this is to write a DLL that will make it so that when the object [in this case the beam] touches a ship, it will delete it and leave a big dust cloud behind, but I have no idea how to write it as a DLL)
Thanks in advance for helping me!:)

EDIT: This Project is outdated. Genesis is abandoned (for now anyways) and the Ion and Positron Cannons are designated as "Mark 1". A Mark 2 is currently being modeled. New thread coming after the model is completed.

Last edited:

Talon1

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Update: Woops, I forgot to put the files for the orbital ion cannon; Here they are:

EDIT: Attachments Removed

Last edited:

Talon1

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, this project of mine's been dead for the past 9 months or so; but now I've decided to re-start this project!:)

The last problem I encountered was that the "material" type of laser beam won't work since the beam becomes invisible way before it reaches the ground. The only other way I know how to make this work is if I point the retro engine towards the ground (while the cannon is pointing down also), give it no trust, and give it a custom exhaust. But there is a problem, when I make the destructive version, It might be next to impossible to make it so that when the beam touches a ship, it will make it "blow up" (although the plan was to delete the ship then replace it with a puff of smoke). Please help!!!

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I like the basic idea of this, and it links in with something I wanted to make a while back, a particle fountain (Thing out of Star Trek for mining ore-rich planets and planetoids the "easy" way). Alas, I don't yet have the modelling skills required to do such a thing, but I'd be interested to see if you can get the cannons working as you want to.

Talon1

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like the basic idea of this, and it links in with something I wanted to make a while back, a particle fountain (Thing out of Star Trek for mining ore-rich planets and planetoids the "easy" way). Alas, I don't yet have the modelling skills required to do such a thing, but I'd be interested to see if you can get the cannons working as you want to.
First off, thanks for the nice comment.

Now then, as for me I have some modeling skills, but next to no texturing skills.:p;)

Talon1

Addon Developer
Reaction score
So... Ion cannon = harmless
Positron cannon = deadly?

I'd put it the other way around...
Why's that?
Also the reason I named my second cannon is because in the Gundam Seed universe, positron cannons (normally mounted on ships) can destroy 10 ships in one shot.