SwiftSS Aerospaceplane

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
UMMUFA

I hope to create the configs for it soon ;)

I came, I saw, my brain booked an apointment with a team of psychologists.

Actualy, the way you worded that suggests that you've made other configs for ships... is that the case? I might make a series of configs for the SBB, depending on how hard it really is. But, damn, it looks complex.

Do yourself a favor -- computing power is cheap!

You don't get it. The lower our frame-rate, the better your ships!

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I came, I saw, my brain booked an apointment with a team of psychologists.

Actualy, the way you worded that suggests that you've made other configs for ships... is that the case? I might make a series of configs for the SBB, depending on how hard it really is. But, damn, it looks complex.

You don't get it. The lower our frame-rate, the better your ships!

I'm working on it now ;), done the BSP, SP203 and the SSS. I am working on the other ships.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
*jaw rattles on floor*

EDIT: Only just got the time to fly her, so now I've got a question:

Burch, is there anyway of getting those MFDs to be actual MFDs? Or does Orbiter need actual dlls for that sort of thing?

Last edited:

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
*jaw rattles on floor*

EDIT: Only just got the time to fly her, so now I've got a question:

Burch, is there anyway of getting those MFDs to be actual MFDs? Or does Orbiter need actual dlls for that sort of thing?

Not with the sc3 foundation they have. But I've been building my meshes with that idea in mind for a long time, so maybe they could be. On the other hand, to save computing power (even if only marginally) I've been making the buttons for each MFD a single mesh group for a long time. Will that make them unusable with a .dll foundation?

Back before Vinka disappeared (sort like the 12th Imam, I guess), I figured he'd match full custom-dll functionality by the time he reached spacecraft5 or so.. But I suppose salvation for me won't be coming from that quarter any time soon ....

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I figured he'd match full custom-dll functionality by the time he reached spacecraft5 or so.. But I suppose salvation for me won't be coming from that quarter any time soon ....

Never gonna happen. Spacecraft*.dll are just a medium between you, as a developer and the orbiter API. It can only account for so much. Vinka will have to develop his own scripting language in order to create full custom-dll functionality, but if you are willing to learn that imaginary scripting language, you might as well learn c++...

Dr Pepper

Soft Drink
Reaction score
Good lord! This add-on is fantastic! It's really what I've been looking around for for some time (a small, easy to fly spacecraft that is both good for flying in the atmosphere and in space). You've really hit it home for me. :cheers:

I really love the turbojet powered Swift. The thing is a blast to fly. Couple that with the SCRAM package, and it make for fun upper atmosphere (sub-orbital lobs, perhaps?) flights. The Lifeboat also makes for some fun experiences.

About the animation problems. It looks like the animations get screwy only when you do more than one animation at once, especially when the animated objects are connected to each other (like the HUD on the canopy window; moving both at the same time seems to displace the HUD).

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Nice work mate, 's just that... i keep crashing when trying to load most scenarios
(in fact, the only one i've got to work is the one where it's docked to the Delta Glider)

I have the same problem with some of your other Add-Ons, mainly DESCARTES..

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice work mate, 's just that... i keep crashing when trying to load most scenarios
(in fact, the only one i've got to work is the one where it's docked to the Delta Glider)

I have the same problem with some of your other Add-Ons, mainly DESCARTES..

I'd say it's a problem with not having other, required addons installed, but you shouldn't be able to run even the one scenario or, alternatively, if you can run that, then you should be able to run others.

In the one scenario with the DG, can you switch views to the SwiftSS?

Can you post a log, so I can see what's happening?

GB

Master of Blades

Reaction score
I can switch to the SwitfSS, took it for a spin and it worked well...

When i try to run the "other" scenarios though, it gives me a CTD (Aka, "Orbiter has unexpectedly quit yada yada), so no log is avaliable D:

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Since releasing the SwiftSS, I've continued working on a modeling and rendering project I'd hoped to have finished in time to include in the documentation for that addon. But, given how far from completion it was, I decided to continue it for my own amusement. Here's a preliminary result:

Hangar100.jpg

This is a photo taken from one of the cameras inside BA's Orbiter Processing Facility Number 3 at Amazonia in 2082.

GB

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
She flys like a dream. No lags ( except under time excelleration ), glitches of fluffs. NASA just wishes they could make spacraft this well ! :p
All in all, another 5 star add on from a master.:cheers:

joiz

Reaction score
u know, i have absolutley every single one of your add-ons... and there was one thing i was thinking: if they have these nano super light and super strong stuff, wouldn't they make an SSTO? there are people saying we can make an ssto now, why not one with this hi tech stuff? i know, that even to get a smalish spacecraft in orbit you would need a large SSTO but, somehow an SSTO seems like the "airliner to space" since recovering all those stages is a pain, perticularly for un-organized groups like the people that would use swift space or pocket rockets. not to be critical or anything, i wish some of your VCs could be put into other add-ons like some of sputniks alterntate history things...
ps that "photo" of the BA facility is awesome... wish orbiter could handle stuff like that.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
u know, i have absolutley every single one of your add-ons... and there was one thing i was thinking: if they have these nano super light and super strong stuff, wouldn't they make an SSTO? there are people saying we can make an ssto now, why not one with this hi tech stuff? i know, that even to get a smalish spacecraft in orbit you would need a large SSTO but, somehow an SSTO seems like the "airliner to space" since recovering all those stages is a pain, perticularly for un-organized groups like the people that would use swift space or pocket rockets. not to be critical or anything, i wish some of your VCs could be put into other add-ons like some of sputniks alterntate history things...
ps that "photo" of the BA facility is awesome... wish orbiter could handle stuff like that.

That's an extraordinarily good question. The answer, I think, is two-fold. First, the rocket equation is a harsh mistress, and I think she makes SSTO a very hard problem, even when you're talking about materials an order of magnitude lighter than we have now. But second, I think the aerodynamics become very problematic: You still have to carry a LOT of fuel and, unless it's very highly pressurized, then you're going to have a large volume to get into orbit, no matter what. This means you're going to end up having shapes that are pretty squirrelly when it comes to aerodynamics -- just look at the Skylon concept (and it's partially an air-breather).

But it's still a good point and I may look into an SSTO design. On the other hand, I REALLY want to get off Earth with new addons as soon as possible (thus the "quote" at the beginning of the SwiftSS' documntation).

As for Orbiter even being able to handle something like the image in my last post, well, don't count on it any time soon. The meshes used in that render add up to just under a million polygons. Even Bryce is close to choking on that load, and the renders are taking just over an hour each at that level of detail.

GB

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Greg,
can you post the appropriate .scn file entry foe a lifeboat node with 1 SSSLB and 3 embedded SSSLB meshes? (In other words, it looks like a fully loaded Life boat node but 3 of the 4 SSS's are just dummy meshes). I just flew the "18 Amazonia BSP with LifeBoat Node 3 to Station" scenario and I' like to switch the LBN3 vessel to something functional.
Keep up the great work!

Thanks,

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Greg,
can you post the appropriate .scn file entry foe a lifeboat node with 1 SSSLB and 3 embedded SSSLB meshes? (In other words, it looks like a fully loaded Life boat node but 3 of the 4 SSS's are just dummy meshes). I just flew the "18 Amazonia BSP with LifeBoat Node 3 to Station" scenario and I' like to switch the LBN3 vessel to something functional.
Keep up the great work!

Thanks,

I'll work on that, but it will be later today at the earliest. Right now my "Orbiter development computer" is close to 'splodin' from doing a "photoshoot" of the Bryce scene above.

But now that you've mentioned this, I realize that I'll also have to do a new 'cfg file for the LifeBoat Node, because the SSLB will have to be "attached" to the LifeBoat Node, rather than docked, while it's riding in the BSP's payload bay. This will be to avoid the dreaded "docked-on-the-ground" bad craziness.

GB

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Greg, that render looks awesome. Absolutely bea-utiful! I don't know how you feel about them, but I recon that's an hour well spent. Plus the construction time. But there is an alternative: Alienware.

Greg,
can you post the appropriate .scn file entry foe a lifeboat node with 1 SSSLB and 3 embedded SSSLB meshes? (In other words, it looks like a fully loaded Life boat node but 3 of the 4 SSS's are just dummy meshes).

Why would you want only 1 SSSLB? Why not have 4, instead of 3 dummy meshes and only 1 good one?