Request Surveyor Lunar Rover

Graham2001

Reaction score
I've known for some time that amongst NASA's original plans for lunar exploration was the intention to send unmanned rovers to the moon to survey potential landing sites before sending men to the Moon. The Russians had a similar program, their site verification rovers became Lunokhod's 1 & 2.

The US plan involved a small rover weighing around 100lb (45kg) mounted on the side of a modified Surveyor spacecraft.

There is already a version of [ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=859]Surveyor created for Orbiter 2005[/ame], though that might not be usable.

The details of the proposed vehicle and some (but not all of the changes to the baseline Surveyor) can be found in the report linked to below. The attached thumbnails show what the craft would have looked like and include an optional extra considered for it in the form of a set of mortars firing circular target markers.

1. Surveyor Lunar Roving Vehicle, Final Report, Vol. 1, Summary Report

2. Surveyor Lunar Roving Vehicle, Final Report, Vol. 2, Mission and System Studies

3. Surveyor Lunar Roving Vehicle, Final Report, Vol. 3, Preliminary System Description, Book 1, System Description

4. Surveyor Lunar Roving Vehicle, Final Report, Vol. 3, Preliminary System Description, Book 2, Validation of Preliminary Design

5. Surveyor Lunar Roving Vehicle, Final Report, Vol. 4, Reliability

6. Surveyor Lunar Roving Vehicle, Final Report, Vol. 5, System Evaluation

Attachments

• SLRV.png
    SLRV.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 73
  • SLRVLayout.png
    SLRVLayout.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 68
  • SLRVExploded.png
    SLRVExploded.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 39
  • SLRVTargetMarker.png
    SLRVTargetMarker.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 42
  • SLRVB03.png
    SLRVB03.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Graham2001

Reaction score
Hmm. I'd heard of Prospector, but not a post-Surveyor conversion to add a rover. Cute!

Same here, there were actually two reports online but this one was more complete. I also spotted something that discussed mounting a Surveyor on wheels and using it as a rover.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I'd love to see a follow up mission to one of the landing sites just to see what's left, the condition of the descent stage and so on. I think we could learn a lot from such a rover.

Graham2001

Reaction score
I'd love to see a follow up mission to one of the landing sites just to see what's left, the condition of the descent stage and so on. I think we could learn a lot from such a rover.

We can but dream...

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
From the images, parts of it look like the Apollo Moon Rover, specially the camera and dish antenna. The wheels look somewhat like Pathfinder. Interesting!

Graham2001

Reaction score
From the images, parts of it look like the Apollo Moon Rover, specially the camera and dish antenna. The wheels look somewhat like Pathfinder. Interesting!

Actually the 'wheels' are tractor treads, but there was a competing wheeled design, which via a process I'm not entirely sure of evolved into the LRV that actually flew.

The Surveyor based rover program produced a prototype rover that was later used in development of the guidance software for the Pathfinder rover.

I'm also going to add a link to what appears to be the only document on the NTRS discussing the Block II Surveyor's. I'm not saying that this is the vehicle intended to carry the rovers, quite simply the evidence is not there, but it is also worth looking into.

Block II Surveyor Study Report

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I may need one of those, for my Jason lander. :hmm:

Graham2001

Reaction score
I may need one of those, for my Jason lander. :hmm:

Check out the documents in the OP, as I said back then the report is (as far as I can tell) complete as to the Rover side of things. Not as much information on just what was going to be done to the Surveyor, but there are some chopped up fold-outs showing the attachment/release mechanism.

Keatah

Reaction score
I built a nearly full-size model surveyor in my garage when I was a kid. I learned metalworking and welding that way.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What would you do with it? Doesn't like it would hard to build/make

Keatah

Reaction score
It was life-size give or take some small measurement tolerances. I don't know, I thought it was cool. I had grand visions of turning it into a helicopter, but it eventually got moved to the backyard and served as a jungle-gym and prop for playing apollo hide and seek games.

More fun than orbiter!

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There is the Luna 17 driveable rover. I was working on it.
step1tilt.jpg
rather than ramps use attachment points