Request Super Dimensional Fortress

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've been looking high and low for years now for a mesh that was low poly enough for me to work with to bring it to Orbiter but alas.......... it seems to have folded to a diffrent dimension where the engines underwent a spontaniouse and total existance failure ......... :-(

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Here is Macross model,but I did not watch that so have no idea how accurate is it.

download

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=3abde6cba31d6dade14ec870063d8e5c&prevstart=0

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Colors look good.
The front end is beveled out the wrong way though.
The top is straight and bevels down and back so that when the foreward section rotates and opens, the bevel turns inward to form the main gun with the spires on the outside.
If I could convert sketch-up, I might just give this one a shot.

Astronut409

Reaction score
A Macross/Robotech addon would be awesome, and of course you can't have the SDF-1 without veritech fighters...

weirdguy

Reaction score
How about this?

Macross1.JPG

vt.jpg

They are both my own creations. I got the VF-1J blueprints from a Yamato toy, so the scales of the parts are actually acurate and correctly transform from Battaloid (robot) to fighter and such. The VAF-6 Alpha I found blueprints for as well, but they were hand drawn, and therefore actually needed some alterations to get the parts to all fit when in both a fighter and as a battaloid. Plus, I also modified them both a bit for personal tastes. I added horizontal stabilizers to the VF-1J because I never liked the fact they were missing on the original. The VAF-6 I made the feet a bit shorter. It always had some ridiculous clown shoes otherwise.

Getting it to transform in Orbiter, now that is another question. I think the best way would be some sort of swap out that instantly switches between two different ships in orbiter by pushing a button, perhaps even with an intermediate ship that you just quickly pass through in less than a second.

I think animating the change in Spacecraft DLL would be a major pain in the butt otherwise.

Last edited:

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Here is Macross model,but I did not watch that so have no idea how accurate is it.

That looks like one of the ones from the movies or the later "revisioned" series.

Transformation:

What if you made each module its own "craft" and docked them together. On transformation you script their undocking, movement, and relinking?

That would get you around the poly count limit (somewhat) and make the transformation animation more accurate.