Software Sun causes heavy frame drop

Quix0r

Reaction score
Website
www.ship-simu.org
I have latest Orbiter 2010 installed correctly (with WINEPREFIX and winetricks to install native runtimes). When I play and not look in the direction of the sun, the frames per second are normal high (30-50 FPS). But when I turn the view (e.g. external view) in direction of the Sun, I got a heavy frame drop to 5 FPS.

Here is my system spec:
- Intel Quad Core 2.5 GHz
- MSI NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT with 512 MB RAM
- 8 GB RAM (DDR2)
- No swap-space activated
- NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.29.run
- Debian Squeece with latest packages

Please assist here. Maybe just some config entries (I tried all in "Video" and in "Extras" to very low settings, still the Sun kills FPS) need to be set. Or I just remove .... urghs! ... our loved Sun... :shock:

Quix0r

Reaction score
Website
www.ship-simu.org
You want to start bashing Linux? Okay, I wait for a better reply from some Linux/Wine gamers here.

But wait, I should not feed the trolls. :(

Last edited:

Quix0r

Reaction score
Website
www.ship-simu.org
Hi,

I already found that topic before and followed it plus I installed d3d9 and registered all d3d9 DLLs as native which no change to that frame-drop.

My guess here is (and that is what I need to know) that Orbiter uses something very expensive that is not very well supported by a) my card (I cannot effort to buy a better one which are coming out on a 2-monthly basis) or b) the kernel module (which is latest).

And like I said before: I have minimized the error source to the Sun. So I disable it for now which is the most realistic chance.

Of course, you don't support Linux and neither Wine. :) I will ask the same thing in the Wine Forums, hope they know what is up. :?

Edit: I commented the sun out and Orbiter crashes. I removed the comment and it starts again, damn!

Last edited:

Quix0r

Reaction score
Website
www.ship-simu.org
It sounds to me like bashing. :( Okay, sorry for being a bit offensive here. Yeah, really horrible. But the main reason for this is, that Orbiter uses DirectX and there is no DirectX for Linux except the Wine version. :(

And Linux (Debian) is the only OS I have installed (100% free of Mircrosoft, except some wineprefix directories). Even my cellhpone (smartphone) is a Linux one: OpenMoko (I know it isn't so good, but SHR is fine to me :) ).