Problem SSU radar use

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I am having problems with the use of Radar navigation for proximity ops and rendezvous.
I ran the related scenario (ISS radar test) and followed the FDF RNDZ checklist to setup the KU antenna and all the controls/switches on panels A6U/A1U/A2/R13 (except REL NAV SPEC33 which is not implemented I guess) but nothing shows on the RR/ELEV monitor (and the 3 KU talkbacks on panel A1U show barberpoles instead of grey...)

Any help on how to properly operate the system with SSU?

Thanks

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Here you are answering you're own question https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=559623&postcount=914 :p
Currently the radar just feeds info to the display on panel A2, it does not talk to the GPCs.

Yes I remember posting that video and I thought I had the answer, but when I tryed myself the scenario I found it does not work... the LOS display shows frozen numbers no change in Azimuth/Elev or Range and Range/Rate values as I maneuver the Shuttle, and the LOS yellow crosshairs are not moving either...

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Ok maybe I found the reason why I couldn't make it work: looks like the selector on A1U has to be recicled between MAN/SLEW and AUTO TRACK positions to activate the KU band antenna SEARCH function. The other two talkbacks (SCAN warn and TRACK) remain inactive (barberpole) as they do in DaveS demo video while the FDF checklist says all 3 talkbacks should turn full-gray (active).Is this normal in SSU?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Yes I remember posting that video and I thought I had the answer, but when I tryed myself the scenario I found it does not work... the LOS display shows frozen numbers no change in Azimuth/Elev or Range and Range/Rate values as I maneuver the Shuttle, and the LOS yellow crosshairs are not moving either...

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Ok maybe I found the reason why I couldn't make it work: looks like the selector on A1U has to be recicled between MAN/SLEW and AUTO TRACK positions to activate the KU band antenna SEARCH function. The other two talkbacks (SCAN warn and TRACK) remain inactive (barberpole) as they do in DaveS demo video while the FDF checklist says all 3 talkbacks should turn full-gray (active).Is this normal in SSU?

I think I only did stuff to activate the search and the track TBs. When the antenna is doing the spiral search, the search TB will be gray, and when it finds a target that will go barberpole and the track TB will go gray until tracking is lost for whatever reason.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Is the Radar Output HI setting working? The switch moves but is it actually simulated in the current SSU version (4.2)?
I am still trying to figure out why tracking fails at distances where it should actually work fine (like 130.000 feet from the ISS) :shrug:
P.S. I am not referring to Range but AZ and EL display

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Is the Radar Output HI setting working? The switch moves but is it actually simulated in the current SSU version (4.2)?
I am still trying to figure out why tracking fails at distances where it should actually work fine (like 130.000 feet from the ISS) :shrug:
P.S. I am not referring to Range but AZ and EL display

It should be. I just tested the radar with the default ISS and in High it worked until the 150kft radar cutoff distance. Medium worked until ~82kft and Low 43kft. For the MPLM the max distances were (L, M, H) 23kft, 46kft and 100kft.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It should be. I just tested the radar with the default ISS and in High it worked until the 150kft radar cutoff distance. Medium worked until ~82kft and Low 43kft. For the MPLM the max distances were (L, M, H) 23kft, 46kft and 100kft.

So what I understand is you tested it starting from close proximity with the station and away from it. Have you tried the other way around (rendezvous)? That's where I am having issues. The radar doesn't seem to be able to track the ISS from distance, not until a few thousands feet.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
So what I understand is you tested it starting from close proximity with the station and away from it. Have you tried the other way around (rendezvous)? That's where I am having issues. The radar doesn't seem to be able to track the ISS from distance, not until a few thousands feet.

That shouldn't make a difference. Are you pointing the top of the Orbiter +/- towards the ISS and do you have the rotary switch in Auto Track?

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Are you using Donamy's ISS?

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That shouldn't make a difference. Are you pointing the top of the Orbiter +/- towards the ISS and do you have the rotary switch in Auto Track?

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Are you using Donamy's ISS?

I am -Z tracking the ISS (standard Orbiter ISS) so yes I am pointing the payload bay directly to the station. The rotary switch is in AUTO TRACK mode

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I just got lock at over 140kft... :shrug:

With an ISS made of attached/docked vessels we might get lock problems, as the radar currently is looking at individual vessels on their own. I could try to check for attached/docked vessels and add their size, so the radar sees a big vessel and not a bunch of small ones... but this wouldn't fix this issue.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I just got lock at over 140kft... :shrug:

With an ISS made of attached/docked vessels we might get lock problems, as the radar currently is looking at individual vessels on their own. I could try to check for attached/docked vessels and add their size, so the radar sees a big vessel and not a bunch of small ones... but this wouldn't fix this issue.

Is it correct to have TGT ISS the scenario then?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Is it correct to have TGT ISS the scenario then?

The radar uses nothing from the scenario. If that is for SPEC 34 (or something else) it shouldn't make a difference.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I tried another scenario and had positive radar return (distance 25km) :thumbup: