News Speed of light broken?

Unstung

Reaction score
There will still be many people who believe something (neutrinos) went faster than the speed of light; I don't expect this news to become that popular.

AquarianM

Reaction score
Website
magnetoverse.blogspot.com
A friend of mine sent an e-mail today stating that they diagnosed the result as being due to a loose fiber optic cable connection between a PC and a GPS receiver. ( http://www.livescience.com/18603-error-faster-light-neutrinos.html ) Disappointing, I agree. I would've love to have seen the speed of light broken, as it's a tough limit for any proponent of interstellar travel.

Dan

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A friend of mine sent an e-mail today stating that they diagnosed the result as being due to a loose fiber optic cable connection between a PC and a GPS receiver. ( http://www.livescience.com/18603-error-faster-light-neutrinos.html ) Disappointing, I agree. I would've love to have seen the speed of light broken, as it's a tough limit for any proponent of interstellar travel.

Dan

There's a Man in Black man somewhere with the flashy eye thing. "What you saw, son, was a loose cable, and you didn't just see the speed of light being broken multiple times."
:)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh blegh. I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarp driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive... :lol:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I feel like my heart got ripped out...:suicide:

You have no idea how science works.

Well this is good news.

If you get an odd result, you expect an error rather than something else. So if this was the case then many people will sleep a bit better.

This is what science does, find answers to questions and find questions to ask.

Alright then, there would be no complicated equations to explain why everything can't exceed the speed of light except for neutrino :D

No, this is boring news. Would have been much more exciting if we didn't understand how the Universe worked and we needed to find an even better model for it than General Relativity. Think of all the Nobel Physics prizes that would get handed out...

There will still be many people who believe something (neutrinos) went faster than the speed of light; I don't expect this news to become that popular.

Well, that's their problem, isn't it?

Oh blegh. I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarp driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive... :lol:

You can want all you want...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah. Scientifically speaking, ripping out someone's heart makes no sense. We have them scalpels, circular saws and whatever to do it.:thumbup:

You can't hope for some revolutionary technology when all you have is a single, highly disputed data point. I bet a lot of people want cold fusion, but we just can't have it.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
You can't hope for some revolutionary technology when all you have is a single, highly disputed data point. I bet a lot of people want cold fusion, but we just can't have it.

Hey, circular saws are a proven technology, far from revolutionary... And so are scalpels. However, I heard from some Aztec types you can do it with obsidian knives.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey, circular saws are a proven technology, far from revolutionary... And so are scalpels. However, I heard from some Aztec types you can do it with obsidian knives.

Or by spouting stuff like "moleram, suleram" long enough... :shifty:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score

Jarvitä

Reaction score
In other news, I made around 60€ in bets by applying basic tenets of rational experimentation to this result. I eagerly await the retractions and corrections from everyone who has been generating hype around "FTL neutrinos".

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, I am a bit surprised that you couldn't bet on it in Bosnian bet-shops... I mean, you usually can bet on anything in those.

Then again, maybe better that way. They might have tried to jinx the results :lol:

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is like the science version of the ages of coverage following Michael Jackson's death...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Seems a bit harsh. I mean, he never struck me as sensationalist and went through the proper channels, I don't see much he could have done differently with the numbers turning up the way they did...