Discussion Spaceflight Video Thread

Ark

Reaction score
Is the sound all artificial or recorded elsewhere and mixed in? After Mach 1 you shouldn't really be able to hear any engine noise...

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Artificial, I think.

Check credits starting at 8:19.
"Sound Design & Mixing by..."
"Post-Production Sound Services by..."

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
"World" in Space

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmmBrd7LzMk&"]"World" in Space - YouTube[/ame]

Very nice footage from the ISS (and Shuttle)

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Is the sound all artificial or recorded elsewhere and mixed in? After Mach 1 you shouldn't really be able to hear any engine noise...
Not neccessarily. You just need a medium that the sound waves can trave through. The rocket body itself can be that medium.
Remember those film-scenes from Wild-West-Movies where they put their ear on the (railroad-)tracks? ;)
Nevertheless, I can not definitely say whether the sound is 'artificial' or not. We need reliable sources! Until than, it's just guessing.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Not neccessarily. You just need a medium that the sound waves can trave through. The rocket body itself can be that medium.

I concur. Note the racket that starts up as the transonic condensation clouds form, and then cuts out very suddenly.

Nevertheless, I can not definitely say whether the sound is 'artificial' or not. We need reliable sources! Until than, it's just guessing.

See the note in the lower left corner at 0:07.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I concur. Note the racket that starts up as the transonic condensation clouds form, and then cuts out very suddenly.
Jepp, right. I think (educated guess) that this is more or less logical.
First the microphone picks up the noise via the air. This is what most microphones are designed for ;)
After the air density gets thinner and thinner[1], the microphone starts to pick up most of audio wave signals via direct vibrations through the mounting.
I would compare it with e.g. scratching on your notebook while using the build-in microphone. It [the mic.] will still 'hear' the scratches although the sound is very different (kind of low pass filtered).

See the note in the lower left corner at 0:07.
Didn't notice that the first time, thanks for the hint:tiphat:

[1] ...and/or the noise-source gets trans/super-sonic...

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I found an awesome handheld camera video from inside Endeavour during STS-134 of the payload bay doors opening.:)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMITfLI-mXQ&feature=relmfu"][STS-134] Payload Bay Doors Opening - YouTube[/ame]

FADEC

Reaction score
This thread is a bad idea... in a positive sense. Because if I start posting it will be hard for me to stop before the list of videos becomes 10 pages long, or so :lol:

So here are only a very few from my collection...

STS-125 Highlights with Astro Mike. Watch in HD and full screen. You will love it...

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ah, good old STS-125.

(Camera is under some cover in the first minute, so there's not much to see until 1:08)​

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Here's a video of Enterprise's first landing.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnoNITE-CLc"]Space Shuttle Launch Audio - play LOUD (no music) HD 1080p - YouTube[/ame]
You need a sound system with a lot of power and a great sub (turned up to house shaking level) to get the right effect of this video. {...}

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
On Human Destiny (1992):

[ame="http://vimeo.com/25249441"]On Human Destiny on Vimeo[/ame]

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score

You would actually.

The engine sound would be propigated through the hull of the booster who's relative velocity to the camera is much lower than the speed of sound. (effectively 0 :p )

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
May 5, 1961:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-hjgs_3mSc"]The View From Freedom 7 - First American in Space - YouTube[/ame]