So who's into viewing Satellites? (Especially Iridium Flares)

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Orbitron is a must have. http://stoff.pl

I've seen hundreds of identified satellites and numerous iridium flares.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm more interested in Sattelite (and ISS) Photography through my scope.
( See my picture's in forum post 2 weeks ago)

mbartley

Reaction score
Where I live now is right next to several shopping centers and car dealerships, so few satellites are bright enough to see. A few however, ISS and Iridium flares in particular, are so bright I've just randomly seen them several times when I just happened to be outside, or even in my car.

Some of the best things I've seen:

Launches from Vandenberg air force base right after sunset leave a spectacular smoke/vapor trail lit up by the sun. I haven't seen that for years unfortunately - they usually launch at 2am lately, like the NOAA-N launch recently. (The solid rocket engines from night launches are sometimes visible. The only things big enough to see during daytime were Titan 4s.)

During the one of the Shuttle-Mir missions years ago, I once saw the space shuttle, Mir (both very bright) and a Soyuz following each other across the sky.

I saw the malfunctioning spy satellite USA-193 a day before it was blown away. Fast and bright.

I saw Columbia directly overhead at a lower altitude than usual. It was overcast, but it was so bright I still saw it easily.

I saw space shuttles reentering from 28.5 degree orbits a few times. They looked much like one of the distant airliner landing lights I see so many of on the horizon, but moving 10 times faster and leaving a faint smoke trail (in the middle of the night with no moon, no less - how was it visible?)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I saw Columbia directly overhead at a lower altitude than usual. It was overcast, but it was so bright I still saw it easily.

I saw space shuttles reentering from 28.5 degree orbits a few times. They looked much like one of the distant airliner landing lights I see so many of on the horizon, but moving 10 times faster and leaving a faint smoke trail (in the middle of the night with no moon, no less - how was it visible?)

Wow, awesome!

When you saw Columbia, was that STS-107?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I've seen so many Cosmos satellites go by its not even funny with loads of other random satellites. I've seen ISS loads of time (Its going to be even brighter when the S6 Truss is installed) HST I've seen many times aswell.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Only when I'm camping, because it's the only time the sky is dark enough.

mbartley

Reaction score
Wow, awesome!

When you saw Columbia, was that STS-107?

No, it was STS-90.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/archives/sts-90.html

(Spacelab, 150 miles altitude, 39 degrees inclination)

Decending-node reentries from 39 degree orbits flew directly over northern California. I told myself I'd go see it next time they flew such a mission, though realistically, I knew I wouldn't because I'd probably drive several hours only to end up in fog or overcast. The next such mission was STS-107...

I don't remember which mission, but one of the (way off to the south) reentries I saw was also Columbia. So I saw it landing, in orbit, reentering, and in the maintenance hangar in Palmdale. Unfortunately, I never saw it launch though (or likely will any with other orbiter).

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow, cool.

I wish I could see a shuttle launch...

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I saw the ISS go overhead last night. Almost directly overhead - 87° elevation, and -2.4 Magnitude. Amazing to watch. I also had the binoculars on it (7x50s). You could see that it was larger than a star, and rectangular in shape, but you couldn't pick out any details. Still really cool to see it through visual aids. I tried a while ago with the 'scope but couldn't track it properly. Must try that again sometime soon

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
I watched and photographed the ISS passage as was seen from Moscow on May 19's evening. I only have an ordinary camera, so here's what I was able to get:

I also took picture of the UARS satellite passage direct overhead (Ursa Major's tail stars are visible):

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
The first time I ever saw the ISS, it was completely by accident. Now though, I'm completely hooked, and I try to see the ISS every time it passes near me (when there's no cloud - which is about 10% of the year in England)!

The maximum elevation I ever see the ISS at is 65°, however, when I go on holiday to the Balearic Islands later this year, I hope to be able to see the ISS at 90°, and maybe Hubble too.

By far the coolest thing I've ever seen was back in March this year. About 1 day after STS-119 had undocked from the ISS, I saw Discovery come over, followed about 10 seconds later by the ISS. It was amazing - two points of light moving across the sky...